Dog Has Degenerative Disc Disease. Any Advice?

Constatine

As the title states we just found out that our dog has degenerative disc disease which is very common in his breed. Has anyone found anything helpful for their dogs with similar conditions? I'm going to increase his nutritional intake and start feeding him various organ meats in safe quantities. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Regina

As the title states we just found out that our dog has degenerative disc disease which is very common in his breed. Has anyone found anything helpful for their dogs with similar conditions? I'm going to increase his nutritional intake and start feeding him various organ meats in safe quantities. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
My dog's health has greatly improved adding aspirin, K2 to his food and occassional doxicycline or minocycline. Sometimes ketotifen.
I use the apple-flavored aspirin powder for dogs
I use this K2
I also give him these beef hearts
I put an egg (in shell) on top and give it a little crack. He loves to crunch up the shell and lick all the yoke.
Gum-free cottage cheese for dessert. A couple trader joe's orange slices or dried mandarins.

Pregnenolone is also very nice for them.

He used to have seizures. 100's a day. And insane allergies. And reactive aggression/hypervigilance.
It all went away completely.

OliviaD

My dog's health has greatly improved adding aspirin, K2 to his food and occassional doxicycline or minocycline. Sometimes ketotifen.
I use the apple-flavored aspirin powder for dogs
I use this K2
I also give him these beef hearts
I put an egg (in shell) on top and give it a little crack. He loves to crunch up the shell and lick all the yoke.
Gum-free cottage cheese for dessert. A couple trader joe's orange slices or dried mandarins.

Pregnenolone is also very nice for them.

He used to have seizures. 100's a day. And insane allergies. And reactive aggression/hypervigilance.
It all went away completely.
This is SO wonderful!! I am missing my dog tonight so I'm reading dog posts, lol. He died at 17.5 in Feb. I wish he was around to use some of these things.. I'm ready now for a new 'friend' to help me get over him.. and I'm going to put these in my 'file'.

Scooby loved beef heart - I made cooked up the whole pasture raised hearts I got from a local butcher in the slow cooker. It grossed me out, so I threw it in, some water, veggies for some minerals, put the cover on .. and let the thing do its magic :)

What was the rationale for the doxicyline or minocycline?

Regina

This is SO wonderful!! I am missing my dog tonight so I'm reading dog posts, lol. He died at 17.5 in Feb. I wish he was around to use some of these things.. I'm ready now for a new 'friend' to help me get over him.. and I'm going to put these in my 'file'.

Scooby loved beef heart - I made cooked up the whole pasture raised hearts I got from a local butcher in the slow cooker. It grossed me out, so I threw it in, some water, veggies for some minerals, put the cover on .. and let the thing do its magic :)

What was the rationale for the doxicyline or minocycline?
17.5 yrs is an amazing run. Well done.
There only flaw is not living long enough.

I can tell when Phineas is a bit off. Poorly formed stools for more than 1 day, frequent urination and very dull mood. That is when I'll open up a doxicyline into his food. Or give him a fish penicillan tablet. His stool and mood clear up and he's eager to go for a drive and walk around.

Best wishes for your new dog to be.....