Mary Shown RP Interview Yr 2000 But Updated May 9,2020

yerrag

An Interview With Dr. Raymond Peat: A Renowned Nutritional Counselor Offers His Thoughts About Thyroid Disease / Thyroid Disease Information Source - Articles/FAQs

Not sure if this is an old one, but it says it was updated May 9 2020, so it's possible it's never been posted here. Nevertheless, I found it useful as I was still able to uncover a gem.

The gem is that poor blood sugar regulation affects thyroid, or T3 production. When the liver has no sugar available, T4 cannot convert to T3 in the liver.

Mary Shomon: You have written that for some people, there is a problem converting T4 to T3, but that diet can help. You recommend a piece of fruit or juice or milk between meals, plus adequate protein, can help the liver produce the hormone. Can you explain a bit more about this idea and how it works?

Dr. Ray Peat: The amount of glucose in liver cells regulates the enzyme that converts T4 to T3. This means that hypoglycemia or diabetes (in which glucose doesn't enter cells efficiently) will cause hypothyroidism, when T4 can't be converted into T3. When a person is fasting, at first the liver's glycogen stores will provide glucose to maintain T3 production. When the glycogen is depleted, the body resorts to the dissolution of tissue to provide energy. The mobilized fatty acids interfere with the use of glucose, and certain amino acids suppress the thyroid gland. Eating carbohydrate (especially fruits) can allow the liver to resume its production of T3.

Dotdash

It is possible the update refers to the entire site rather than this specific article. However, thanks for reminding of this great interview. It still contains a wealth of thyroid information and is worth reading again, and frequently.

OP
yerrag

yerrag

It is possible the update refers to the entire site rather than this specific article. However, thanks for reminding of this great interview. It still contains a wealth of thyroid information and is worth reading again, and frequently.
Maybe it referred to the whole site. I hadn't thought about that. It was the first time I saw it, and I'm glad you liked the interview.

schultz

He has expounded on the idea that in diabetes glucose doesn't enter cells efficiently. I think I have heard him say that it does enter cells just fine, but that it is wasted (lactic acid).

SOMO

He has expounded on the idea that in diabetes glucose doesn't enter cells efficiently. I think I have heard him say that it does enter cells just fine, but that it is wasted (lactic acid).

Just adding that:

There's a receptor (GLUT8) which does not require Insulin for glucose to enter the cell.
GLUT4, however, does require insulin.

So the cell has multiple ways of getting the glucose it needs to keep metabolism going.