I've Got A Few KG Of Turkey Neck -- How Many Hours To Simmer For A Good Gelatinous Broth?

GelatinGoblin

Quite a newbie question but how do I exactly make a broth full of gelatin?
I have quite a bit of turkey throat I will cut into big fairly-thick chunks like oxtail.
--
For how many hours to leave it in a pot to simmer and cook the collagen and draw the gelatin out? How much water? Does salt matter aside from taste? Thank you!

I did a whole chicken carcass for like 4 hours - it was pretty good. I think 4-5 hours should be enough.

OP
GelatinGoblin

GelatinGoblin

I did a whole chicken carcass for like 4 hours - it was pretty good. I think 4-5 hours should be enough.

I did it yesterday, about 4-4.5(~) hours. The batch I poured out the latest turned out to be the most gelatinous, the first batch I took out after about 4~ hours. The second at the 4.5~h mark, and it turned out really solid. Overall I'm very satisfied, although I would have cooked both batches longer, I think 5h is the safest time if you want to completely cook all the collagen.
Overall turned out great, very similar to traditional Russian haladets. Lots of garlic after 30min, a few bay leaf and somd parsley and dill with the root; not cut up (after about 45 min).

I did it yesterday, about 4-4.5(~) hours. The batch I poured out the latest turned out to be the most gelatinous, the first batch I took out after about 4~ hours. The second at the 4.5~h mark, and it turned out really solid. Overall I'm very satisfied, although I would have cooked both batches longer, I think 5h is the safest time if you want to completely cook all the collagen.
Overall turned out great, very similar to traditional Russian haladets. Lots of garlic after 30min, a few bay leaf and somd parsley and dill with the root; not cut up (after about 45 min).
Nice man. Haladtes is one of my favourite foods. We eat it a lot in Ukraine and in Hungary too.

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom