Potassium Deficiency Makes Testosterone Plummet. Re-supplementation Restores It (rodent)

zarrin77

The disappearance of fruit and vegetables from our diet lowers men's testosterone levels
And Hypokalemia Decreases Testosterone Production in Male Mice by Altering Luteinizing Hormone Secretion - PubMed
Edit: Here is another study, found the same thing: Potassium Regulates Plasma Testosterone and Renal Ornithine Decarboxylase in Mice - PubMed

Potassium deficiency produced a rapid and marked fall in testosterone. This is further evidence that we should make sure to keep our potassium intake up, especially with a high salt (sodium) intake.

5487A555-B1B4-4005-9E13-01287223FE05.gif

Last edited:

baccheion

Low potassium also increases likelihood of net acidity (insufficient PRAL score), as it's effectively the main (by weight) alkalizing mineral.

mujuro

When I was getting my carbs from starch, primarily potatoes, I was reach 5,000mg+ potassium daily. Including lentils and OJ it was over 8,000mg. Peat has said that potassium is much more important for blood sugar regulation than insulin, and it’s curious that nature includes an abundance of potassium in carbohydrate-containing foods, besides of course grains that have been hulled and milled.

jzeno

Dr. Gerson stressed potassium as the success to defeating cancer.

When the body survived on sodium (as the primary electrolyte) rather than potassium the patient became prime for succumbing to cancer.

Peat still argues salt is good for you while Dr. Gerson recommends no added salt to the diet stating natural sodium in found in foods is sufficient.

Thank you for sharing

OP
zarrin77

zarrin77

View attachment 17441[/QUOTE]
Low potassium also increases likelihood of net acidity (insufficient PRAL score), as it's effectively the main (by weight) alkalizing mineral.

Yes, and especially if you use potassium bicarbonate, as I am currently doing, 10g a day.

Btw, if you mix potassium bicarbonate with taurine, it makes it taste way better due to how the chemicals interact, and would likely bring more benefits for vasculature. It is called K-water. I have uploaded the PDF.

Attachments

• mccarty2006.pdf
    99.2 KB · Views: 495

sweetpeat

Yes, and especially if you use potassium bicarbonate, as I am currently doing, 10g a day.

Btw, if you mix potassium bicarbonate with taurine, it makes it taste way better due to how the chemicals interact, and would likely bring more benefits for vasculature. It is called K-water. I have uploaded the PDF.
I just tried this, and it does taste like regular water! Thank you for posting this! I struggle to get the RDI of potassium, and I've also found benefit from supplementing taurine. It's nice to have a different way of taking these two things.

I'm assuming you can use separate potassium bicarbonate and taurine powders and just combine them in water? The PDF talked of a "PTB complex" of potassium taurine bicarbonate, and the disclosure mentioned something about patent rights. But I happen to have the separate powders on hand and combined them in the ratios given.

OP
zarrin77

zarrin77

I just tried this, and it does taste like regular water! Thank you for posting this! I struggle to get the RDI of potassium, and I've also found benefit from supplementing taurine. It's nice to have a different way of taking these two things.

I'm assuming you can use separate potassium bicarbonate and taurine powders and just combine them in water? The PDF talked of a "PTB complex" of potassium taurine bicarbonate, and the disclosure mentioned something about patent rights. But I happen to have the separate powders on hand and combined them in the ratios given.

Yes, you can mix them separately. The weak chemical bonds form just from the presence of both in the water. This is how I do it. Just play with the dosage of each until you find that it pretty much tastes like regular water. (Sometimes you taste the first sip, but can’t really taste it after that).

golder

What's a good starting dose for someone who wants to take potassium bicarbonate having just come from a rubbish high PUFA low carb diet, but gradually working his way on to more Peat inspired nutrition? Thanks for your input guys!

Terma

View attachment 17441

Interesting, I supplemented K+ bicarb/citrate and taurine (grams) for long times and couldn't pinpoint the variability in K+ gut tolerance, but taurine strikes as increasing bile/gut transit sometimes so it didn't click. Maybe there's something to it. That article doesn't feel exhaustive and probably misses some angles being from 2006, but these are relevant to things happening (taurine has so many effects impossible to remember, so this helps):

In addition, the modest increase inserum potassium associated with potassium-rich diets acts to increase the membrane potential of vascular endothelium – thereby boosting activity of nitric oxide synthase while inhibiting that of the superoxide-generating NADPH oxidase[16–18].
Furthermore, the modest improvement in nitrogen balance observed during supplementation with potassium bicarbonate[43] possibly reflects decreased cortisol production, as well as a decrease in renal ammonia production.
Clinical studies have evaluated taurine supplementation in doses up to 6 g daily, and no hint of adverse effects has emerged in these studies, presumably because excess taurine is rapidly cleared by the kidneys.
I was alternating 1-4g, felt like overdoing it though.
The potential vascular benefits of high-dose taurine include: a platelet-stabilizing effect that is complementary to that of aspirin[46–48]; an anti-hypertensive effect that,at least in part, appears to reflect a moderate down-regulation of elevated sympathetic activity[49–56]
The anti-atherogenic impact of taurine in rodents possibly reflects taurine’s ability to detoxify hypochlorous acid[64], a potent oxidant that is the chief product of myeloperoxidase, an enzyme active in intimal macrophages.
the fact that taurine is protective in certain rodent models of atherogenesis that fail to respond to vitamin E[71–73], suggests that hypochlorous acid may play a more important role than hydroxylradical in promoting pathogenic modifications of LDL in vivo. (This in turn might explain why supplemental vitamin E has failed to confer cardiovascular protection in prospectiv supplementation trials)[74,75].
The fact substances like taurine, carnitine, and astaxanthin can all lower need for vit E or surpass it suggests again to me the (correct) seafood is much more critical despite humans and vegetables.
Furthermore, the product of taurine's interaction with hypochlorous acid, taurochloramine, can suppress activation of NF-kappaB[78,79]– an anti-inflammatory effect which would antagonize atherogenesis
This is exactly the kind of thing you want: substances that can turn around harmful reactants into beneficial products (reminiscent of some recent topics).
it impedes the multiplication of osteoclasts in vitro, and, when administered orally to hamsters, is reported to slow loss of periodontal bone in a model of periodontal bone loss[83].
The only problem is taurine really can increase loose stools as can K+, and it happens K+ + taurine always had the most dramatic effect in combination with THC to slow down the gut - but also other things including salt.

OP
zarrin77

zarrin77

What's a good starting dose for someone who wants to take potassium bicarbonate having just come from a rubbish high PUFA low carb diet, but gradually working his way on to more Peat inspired nutrition? Thanks for your input guys!

I’d start with 2 grams a day and can work up from there. Most days I take 7-8g of postassium bicarb.

golder

I’d start with 2 grams a day and can work up from there. Most days I take 7-8g of postassium bicarb.
Thanks. Do you take the potassium bicarb away from sodium? Roughly how many divided doses of say 8grams would you take? Did you notice any improvements in any areas of your physiology after taking the potassium? Appreciate your help!

Motif

Do you really feel a difference if you take 1 g over the day or 10?

I would go as low as possible with a supplement like this. I have my doubts that this is not risky

golder

I would go as low as possible with a supplement like this. I have my doubts that this is not risky
Interesting, thanks. What makes you think it would be dangerous?

OP
zarrin77

zarrin77

Potassium Bicarbonate Attenuates the Urinary Nitrogen Excretion That Accompanies an Increase in Dietary Protein and May Promote Calcium Absorption

Pilot Study Examining the Influence of Potassium Bicarbonate Supplementation on Nitrogen Balance and Whole-Body Ammonia and Urea Turnover Following Short-Term Energy Restriction in Older Men

These studies used ~9g a day of K bicarb, and many human studies have used around this dose.

OP
zarrin77

zarrin77

Thanks. Do you take the potassium bicarb away from sodium? Roughly how many divided doses of say 8grams would you take? Did you notice any improvements in any areas of your physiology after taking the potassium? Appreciate your help!

I usually will have 3 glasses a day to get aroun 8-10g of k bicarb. I don’t always get there though, some days its 4-5g.

I mix it with sodium bicarb before exercise, as I’ve read too much isolated potassium before strenuous exercise isn’t a good idea. I think it’s fine to mix them whenever though.

Before taking k bicarb, I was prone to cramping hours after lifting (esp in biceps and sometimes my thumb lol). That doesn’t happen anymore. I’m generally very healthy so haven’t had any other benefits, but I trust the reasearch.

I also eat a high protein diet, so it can help reduce nitrogen excretion possibly, which is another reason why I use it (along with baking soda).

baccheion

I'm assuming potassium citrate would also have a similar effect, as it's alkalizing? Same with increased CO2 to combine with H2O to produce bicarbonate? Is that much potassium required, or just enough to ensure a net alkaline PRAL score (was positive/acidic in both high protein groups based on supplied protein, magnesium, potassium, calcium, and phosphorus amounts)?

Last edited:
OP
zarrin77

zarrin77

I'm assuming potassium citrate would also have a similar effect, as it's alkalizing? Same with increased CO2 to combine with H2O to produce bicarbonate? Is that much potassium required, or just enough to ensure a net alkaline PRAL score (was positive/acidic in both high protein groups based on supplied protein, magnesium, potassium, calcium, and phosphorus amounts)?

The only data we have to be able to answer this question are the studies using sodium as the cation.

Almost every human study for performance shows that sodium citrate does not achieve the same benefits for exercise performance as sodium bicarbonate.

OP
zarrin77

zarrin77

Ok, but longterm? i don’t know man

10g of potassium bicarbonate is 3.9 g of potassium a day. Even the government sets the RDA at 4.5 g of potassium per day. Thus, if you spread out the doses, I can’t really see how this would be an issue? I’m not really here to persuade anyone though, so if you don’t feel comfortable, by all means just get your potassium from food then.

Motif

10g of potassium bicarbonate is 3.9 g of potassium a day. Even the government sets the RDA at 4.5 g of potassium per day. Thus, if you spread out the doses, I can’t really see how this would be an issue? I’m not really here to persuade anyone though, so if you don’t feel comfortable, by all means just get your potassium from food then.

Ok i thought 10 g of potassium. But I still think it’s high...
do you really feel a difference from taking it? How?
And if so - sure you won’t feel the same from less?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals