40 Day Waterfast, Wish Me Luck!

..but it only worked one time,this was maybe starvation-euphoria,
maybe he shitted out half his colon,the alleged clay-stuff.
starvation is self-dissolution,it isnt known how much you can gain back,
after losing your structure.
Starvation by malabsorption is what seems to be the vegan deterioration syndrome
that comes with a vegan lifestyle,and the so afflicted dont come off as healthy.
If you are indeed vegan,a lot of individuals with that diet-choice have implemented
ever more severe indeas of detox and cleansing.I dont know what causes it,
but there is an uptick of such choices,maybe it has to do with poisoning from
plant-based food sources,maybe it is the start of neurological deterioration.
It is a common starting point for onset of mental disorder.
Try to look up exvegan stories and see if that resonates with you,and if you lost already
too much weight.
There is no fronting from me,im just saying that vegan diet is maybe working only
for a fraction of people,adherence for longer time of this diet is only 15% of users.
85% bounce back,for reasons of health.
Maybe resistance to plant-poison and handling of xenobiotics is what causes it.

Last edited:
OP
Such_Umami

Such_Umami

..it doesnt work.
Autophagy is a scam,and fasting is just starvation.
Do you have a history of anorexia or similar.
Go all other avenues,every Animal tries to avoid starvation,
there are reasons,it aint healthy for Humans also.
Dry starvation is even worse.

I got rid of a lot of psoriasis permanently. It was really bad at that point, it never came back to those areas. I healed a really bad shoulder injury which made it very difficult to sit at a computer without pain, since then the pain has never come back. I don't do it for autophagy.

I got rid of a lot of psoriasis permanently. It was really bad at that point, it never came back to those areas. I healed a really bad shoulder injury which made it very difficult to sit at a computer without pain, since then the pain has never come back. I don't do it for autophagy.

..what are, in your opinion, the mechanisms behind these feats?

OP
Such_Umami

Such_Umami

Mostly because of the rest from digesting food. The body is able to work on tasks it sets aside or dumps out through the skin. In addition to this, the body using up the toxins as fuel.

Mostly because of the rest from digesting food. The body is able to work on tasks it sets aside or dumps out through the skin. In addition to this, the body using up the toxins as fuel.

What if this is just your normal 'you' and you are detoxing plant-poisons,poisoning you from your inside
with nasty goitrogens,phenols,lectins and such?
Maybe you dont get energy from your diet at all,and that is why your mind concludes that not
eating at all,cuase eating isnt helpful at all,is the right thing to do.
Maybe giving blood would be good?through this,you get rid of aggression-polarized immune-cells
that are surplus-produced by being sensitized by the presence of antigen-plant-toxins.

lampofred

RP mentioned in a very recent interview that even 24 hours of fasting does damage. At least do a juice fast instead of water fast because if your mineral intake is adequate then protein catabolism will be much less. I know people who even with very mild fasting/low-carb start looking like skeletons.

OP
Such_Umami

Such_Umami

What if this is just your normal 'you' and you are detoxing plant-poisons,poisoning you from your inside
with nasty goitrogens,phenols,lectins and such?
Maybe you dont get energy from your diet at all,and that is why your mind concludes that not
eating at all,cuase eating isnt helpful at all,is the right thing to do.
Maybe giving blood would be good?through this,you get rid of aggression-polarized immune-cells
that are surplus-produced by being sensitized by the presence of antigen-plant-toxins.

I wasn't vegetarian at the time.

berk

Do you have good insurance? :D

@Tristan Loscha I think the vegan fasting connection has more to do with religious perfectionist purity mindset. That makes people go crazy.

@Such_Umami I think a little rest for the digestive tract can be good but why go so extreme? Why not have juice and maybe some light vegetable soup for dinner etc?

Vinny

Making the most out of lockdown. So I'm going to embark on a 40 day waterfast. I will also consume salt in my water to hopefully lessen some of the stress on the kidneys/my body.
Sounds like a really, really bad plan to me, so can`t wish you luck.
I wish you to get out of it still sane and alive, and the inevitable damage would be reversible.

Goobz

I honestly think 40 days is way too long, but that's just me. Huge benefits are seen with 5-7 days, in cycles.

OP, as I'm sure you know, this being the RP forum when you're posting anything beneficial about fasting, you're going to get a whole lot of "wtf... haven't you read Ray Peat."

But to the people who are interested, I'd just recommend checking out Valter Longo. His lab discovered the mTOR pathway.
Some FAQs
- And remember many of RP's articles on the subject were written years if not decades ago, well before this research has been proven in yeast, mice and now humans.
- And RP is mostly confusing "fasting" with "caloric restriction."
- And no, restricting certain amino acids has nowhere near the same effect. This only effects one pathway (mTOR), and only partially anyway.
- And no, consuming sugar when fasting is not superior, it will cancel out the benefits of the other pathways. May be a milder introduction to fasting, if never done it before.
- And yes, you lose more muscle in the short term... but then you rebuild it with newer, younger cells. Your ratio of muscle to fat increases, after fasting and refeeding.
- And yes cortisol eats the skin and lean body mass temporarily... thats the point, because the fasting process preferentially seeks out damaged cells... you then rebuild it when you refeed.
- And... bah I'll stop. I just hope people keep open minds, and read science, multiple sources, rather than always going to single person's opinion on science.

"A Periodic Diet that Mimics Fasting Promotes MultiSystem Regeneration, Enhanced Cognitive Performance, and Healthspan"
https://www.cell.com/cell-metabolism/pdfExtended/S1550-4131(15)00224-7

Last edited:

Goobz

At least, the fact that hunger is limited during disease should say you something about fasting. It is desirable in times of disease.

There was a study done by Longo showing that fasting induce immune system "regeneration" in mice. Pretty sure that these mice would have eaten if there was food available. Immunosenescence is a hallmark of aging.

I like Longo’s concept that having periods of not eating may turn out to be like sleep - we didn’t know exactly why it was so crucial in so many ways, but we knew it was natural and important. Turns out it’s a time when the body attends to repairs it has delayed, and regenerates itself. The same may be true of fasting.

Valter Longo is my favourite resource on this. His "fasting mimicking diet" is probably the safest way. Check out this paper. If you'd rather a summary, type his name into youtube for a Ted talk or two.

"A Periodic Diet that Mimics Fasting Promotes MultiSystem Regeneration, Enhanced Cognitive Performance, and Healthspan"
https://www.cell.com/cell-metabolism/pdfExtended/S1550-4131(15)00224-7

Very interested. Keep updating! I'm planning to water fast to get rid of IBDU if my current strategy fails.

LLight

Shelton is a quack and extremely antipeat. Ive read some of his books, I think 5 or 6. I have all of them scanned to PDF. I have fasted under influence of these scam artists many times. Including dry fasting. The worst thing Ive done for my health. I was young and desperate to cure. Fasting moviment is a type of a cult the more you fast the worse you health becomes and they brainwash you to fast more. Again and again. No its not your body dying because of fasting. This is healing crysis you are dealing with. They say.

Very interested. Keep updating! I'm planning to water fast to get rid of IBDU if my current strategy fails.

Did something change or are you joking?

Phosphatidylcholine,which is an component of the lecithine in eggyolks,is important for IBD and lacking in individuals with that type of disorders,
proven by biopsy-specimen.
Also saw Chondroitine-Sulphate mentioned additionally for that purpose.
I would advise for eating plenty of eggs,no foodstuff which promotes bacterial invasion like excess fiber or milk
and would opt for more is more,and not eating less.

@Tristan Loscha I think the vegan fasting connection has more to do with religious perfectionist purity mindset. That makes people go crazy.

@Such_Umami I think a little rest for the digestive tract can be good but why go so extreme? Why not have juice and maybe some light vegetable soup for dinner etc?

I am Tristan Loscha,and i approve these messages.

@Such_Umami

You have to eat normally,this is the typical behavior of future ex-vegans before the brakedown.
Cleansing,Detox,Fast after fast after fast.
Why is that so?
because malnutrition,as inner representation,seems to feels like intoxication for those with imperfect dieting.

Do you feel better after immunesupressive chems like aspirin or cortisols?

One important notice: omega3-PUFA get reduced for energy at a faster pace than omega6,so after fasting someone is
highly likely to be under omega6-dominance,which causes in the mainstream-view,inflammation with no end.

milkboi

My hypothesis is increased innate immune response that could clear latent infections remaining in biofilms or intracellularly.

What would be the minimum effective dose for fasting to improve immunity/clear out infections?

OP
Such_Umami

Such_Umami

OP, as I'm sure you know, this being the RP forum when you're posting anything beneficial about fasting, you're going to get a whole lot of "wtf... haven't you read Ray Peat."

Yes, I was expecting this. I've done RP for over a year and had fantastic benefits from it. The thing I've noticed is that even though the diet is very metabolic, it also creates a lot of metabolic waste and therefore I found I was stagnating on the diet and my health was declining quite quickly in ways different to the regular standard american diet ways. I put on muscle so easily under my RP protocol that I am not worried about any potential loss but after a certain amount of muscle mass gained, it's complete stagnation and I can notice problems arising quite clearly such as increase scalp sebum, increased grey hairs, hair loss and overall more stress (after I plateaued). This is what brought me back to fasting, it is an experiment, one which could be enlightening for me and hopefully others here. I have the hypothesis that this clay which got compacted into my colon after my second 28day fast was what is causing this stagnation. I had incredible health benefits after that 28 day fast, people generally don't believe my age and I attribute that to these fasts. RP's stuff is absolutely perfect for building back but I believe at some point you've got to clear things out of you that your body is unable to deal with whilst undergoing digestion.

LLight

What would be the minimum effective dose for fasting to improve immunity/clear out infections?
I guess that no one can tell because it would depend on the extent of the underlying infection, diversity of the microbiota that causes the issue (if this hypothesis happens to be true).

It can thus only be determined experimentally.

Are you a CFS/ME sufferer?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals