Blood Type And Coronavirus Susceptibility

GenericName86

So I recently came across this study and although not peer reviewed - Relationship between the ABO Blood Group and the COVID-19 Susceptibility Which talks about blood types and how O apparently better at handling the virus then type A. There's actually a few getting around and probably one that's better than what I have linked.

"Meta-analyses on the pooled data showed that blood group A had a significantly higher risk for COVID-19 (odds ratio-OR, 1.20; 95% confidence interval-CI 1.02~1.43, P = 0.02) compared with non-A blood groups, whereas blood group O had a significantly lower risk for the infectious disease (OR, 0.67; 95% CI 0.60~0.75, P < 0.001) compared with non-O blood groups.In addition, the influence of age and gender on the ABO blood group distribution in patients with COVID-19 from two Wuhan hospitals (1,888 patients) were analyzed and found that age and gender do not have much effect on the distribution. CONCLUSION People with blood group A have a significantly higher risk for acquiring COVID-19 compared with non-A blood groups, whereas blood group O has a significantly lower risk for the infection compared with non-O blood groups."

This interested me quite a bit, not only because I'm O negative but it lead me down a rabbit hole of other discussions on blood types and how they interact with disease. Apparently it was similar with SARS, type O fared better then A.

Also there is this - http://www.rroij.com/open-access/bl...-results-toimprove-human-health.php?aid=59918and mentions "Blood group research however, specified Macro and micronutrients to specific blood group types as “A” need Zinc and Magnesium, “B” needs Iron, “O” needs Iodine and AB needs additional calcium to maintain good health"

This got me thinking about how zinc is showing to be quite important in dealing with Covid-19 and A type needs more zinc while also being more susceptible to the virus.

I'm not sure if this is entirely fact but it's interesting and thought it would make a good discussion. There's also this study -blood groups in infection and host susceptibility- https://cmr.asm.org/content/28/3/801

Sorry for the poor formatting and if this has already been discussed, I just found this to be a topic of interest, especially given the current situation.

lampofred

I think blood type A is naturally low thyroid/vitamin D relative to other types.

Nicole W.

Interesting!
I’m O negative too. It’s long been noted that Blood type O, and especially blood type O negative have a protected factor to their blood for pretty much all diseases. I remember that in the 80’s they were saying that O negatives were immune to HIV. Probably not absolutely true, but there was a lower incidence among them likely because statistically there’s so few of us. I would say there’s a lot of folklore about O negatives because they’re unicorns in the blood type realm. In fact, some pretty outrageous stuff, lol. Search O negative and alien race and you’ll see what I mean.

JudiBlueHen

Forum Supporter
Fascinating. I've read D'Adamo years ago and thought it was a bit strange, but I keep coming back to it. Imagine how relatively simple it would be to classify the benefits/adverse effects of any given medication based on how well it works for each blood type. Not fully personalized medicine, but potentially a very good start in that direction.

ebs

I’m O negative too. It’s long been noted that Blood type O, and especially blood type O negative have a protected factor to their blood for pretty much all diseases. I remember that in the 80’s they were saying that O negatives were immune to HIV. Probably not absolutely true, but there was a lower incidence among them likely because statistically there’s so few of us. I would say there’s a lot of folklore about O negatives because they’re unicorns in the blood type realm. In fact, some pretty outrageous stuff, lol. Search O negative and alien race and you’ll see what I mean.

O negative here too. As I remember we have a reduced change for coronary disease but more change to develop ulcers. And our blood type can be used for transfusion to anybody while we can only have our own blood type.

YamnayaMommy

Supposedly blood types A and B evolved in Eurasia after paleo amerindians migrated to North American. And this may explain why “Hispanics,” having more O type blood, are not getting the rona as bad as whites and Asians.

I have A negative blood, and have consequently has to have three rhogam shots to protect against blood incompatibility with baby of a different type.

Nicole W.

O negative here too. As I remember we have a reduced change for coronary disease but more change to develop ulcers. And our blood type can be used for transfusion to anybody while we can only have our own blood type.
Are you of French, Spanish or Basque decent? Supposedly the highest concentration of O-negative are among the Basque people.

OP
G

GenericName86

Are you of French, Spanish or Basque decent? Supposedly the highest concentration of O-negative are among the Basque people.

I'm also 0- negative but I'm not descended from any of those as far as i know, at least not in any family history that i've seen.

laleto12

Y
I think blood type A is naturally low thyroid/vitamin D relative to other types.
Interesting. I am blood type A+ . My thyroid is low and my vitamin d is very low albeit various supplementation and lots of sunbathing. Any idea to solve these issues?

RealNeat

Or are type As more likely to smoke a result of their deficiencies to cover up fatigue and inability to cope with stress. Hence making their lungs more vulnerable than type As who don't smoke but cope in other ways with their hypothesized susceptibilities.

Nicole W.

I'm also 0- negative but I'm not descended from any of those as far as i know, at least not in any family history that i've seen.
There are pockets of O negative populations... I think another is Celtic people and also one small group in China.

OP
G

GenericName86

There are pockets of O negative populations... I think another is Celtic people and also one small group in China.

I'll have to have a deeper look, I'm really interested in my ancestry. I'm thinking of doing one of those tests (23andme/ancestry) just to get an idea.

Frankdee20

I am type AB + (universal plasma donor).... not sure what this means

Frankdee20

If you are AB, you are certainly not a universal donor. Where did you hear that from? If you are AB, you can receive from A, B and AB, but only give to AB.

Universal plasma donor,, not whole blood donor

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals