Euphoric After Last Email [Methylene Blue, H. Pylory]

OP
M

messtafarian

IMHO just eat the potato if you like it. Peat really likes the protein in the potato, not the starch. But he does feel potatoes are generally a "safe starch" and they are gluten free. At the moment I have stopped potatoes myself, because they're nightshades and I might have lupus or something. If you don't have a nightshade problem I don't see any reason not to eat them.

Ray Peat likes "very well cooked" potatoes. This means as little starch left as possible.

narouz

messtafarian said:
Dr. Peat likes the protein in potatoes but his assessment of starch in general seems to be that there are only a few starches that are even safe. He won't say that these starches are good for you or even desirable, he just says they are "safe."

He did say, during one KMUD interview, that there was nothing wrong with starch " if you needed the calories." He also used the word "famine " in relation to that statement so I think his general idea is that starch is what you eat when you have absolutely no other choice. To him anything that has endotoxin is "famine food."

To me, this captures the true general drift of Peat's thinking regarding starches.

narouz

Ewlevy1 said:
Do to my work schedule whole fruit has been difficult for me...however, overall I'm just not a bug fruit guy. And II love potatoes! One a day keeps me sanity. Thought peat loved potato protein and the resistant starch?

Peat does love the potato's protein.
But he doesn't say, to my knowledge, that potato starch is "resistant"
or that it is a good form of starch.
And in keeping with that view,
he also attaches several warnings about potatoes:
-they should be well-cooked, like at least 40 min. of boiling, preferrably
-they should be well-dressed with saturated fat
-they should not be eaten if you have problems with nightshades.

Even with all of these caveats observed,
still Peat does not say potatoes are great or even good.
Merely that they are relatively "safe."

Back to the protein:
I've often thought I should get more serious about juicing and cooking
massive amounts of potato juice.
You know about Peat's potato protein juice, yes Ew?
Peat never makes an effort to do this for a main protein source,
but--it's kinda a mystery to me why--I don't know why it would not be feasible.
Pain in the butt, yes, but...he says the protein is as high in quality as an egg yolk.
And without that PUFA!

If you make some of this, Ew,
you will probably have it pretty well-demonstrated to yourself
as I have
just how much starch and fiber one consumes eating the whole potato.

OP
M

messtafarian

I think I need it, and if I have an "autoimmune disorder" it might be my best chance. I'm scared though. I have to get through another 10 day course of antibiotics and this natural practitioner is reading about it so I can get the opinion of Another Person. And then...the only other choice I have is...The Medical Borg.

To me that is not a choice. I like the Borg when you need emergency services but its approach to actual health problems is Vonnegut-style ludicrous.

narouz

I am curious, mes:
why the antibiotic course?
(I happen to be doing one also.)

OP
M

messtafarian

Hey there, I am taking sulfa ( Bactrim) for a blistering ear infection. I get these reasonably frequently -- took a course of Levaquin and killed whatever else was wrong with me; then went back to the doc and got 10 days of sulfa because the ear thing was not gone.

Et vous?

tara

narouz said:
What is "bug fruit"...? :)
He just dropped into a kiwi accent for a moment. :)

narouz

messtafarian said:
Hey there, I am taking sulfa ( Bactrim) for a blistering ear infection. I get these reasonably frequently -- took a course of Levaquin and killed whatever else was wrong with me; then went back to the doc and got 10 days of sulfa because the ear thing was not gone.

Et vous?

I had a tooth extracted.
When I was a kid I used to chronically get ear infections.
So painful.
They gave me sulpha back then.
You don't hear about it much anymore.
Must be effective for ear infections, huh?

golder

Messtafarian, very keen to hear if you're still getting good results with methylene blue? Thanks very much! :)

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals