Why Not Do-It Yourself (DYI) Masks?

David PS

Czechs get to work making masks after government decree

Trump says he could see recommending all Americans wear masks - CNNPolitics

Trump is considering recommending it. Why not just do it now; make your own? The DYIs may not provide perfect protection, but if:
1. You are infected and you do not know it, it will help protect others who are around you.
2. If you are healthy, it may be enough protection to keep you healthy.
3. It will make it easier to keep common areas cleaner (less contamination on surfaces to begin with).​

Are we afraid to cut into the market share of the big mask manufacturers?

Ras

Get a household HEPA filter and devise a way to keep it on your face.

LucyL

https://www.researchgate.net/public...s_Would_They_Protect_in_an_Influenza_Pandemic

This study examined homemade masks as an alternative to commercial face masks. Several household materials were evaluated for the capacity to block bacterial and viral aerosols. Twenty-one healthy volunteers made their own face masks from cotton t-shirts; the masks were then tested for fit. The number of microorganisms isolated from coughs of healthy volunteers wearing their homemade mask, a surgical mask, or no mask was compared using several air-sampling techniques. The median-fit factor of the homemade masks was one-half that of the surgical masks. Both masks significantly reduced the number of microorganisms expelled by volunteers, although the surgical mask was 3 times more effective in blocking transmission than the homemade mask. Our findings suggest that a homemade mask should only be considered as a last resort to prevent droplet transmission from infected individuals, but it would be better than no protection. (Disaster Med Public Health Preparedness. 2013;0:1-6).

Broken man

I am from czech republic and most masks and everything is homemade because germany took ours.

OP
David PS

David PS

Masks vs no masks.jpg
Masks vs no masks.jpg
https://www.researchgate.net/public...s_Would_They_Protect_in_an_Influenza_Pandemic

This study examined homemade masks as an alternative to commercial face masks. Several household materials were evaluated for the capacity to block bacterial and viral aerosols. Twenty-one healthy volunteers made their own face masks from cotton t-shirts; the masks were then tested for fit. The number of microorganisms isolated from coughs of healthy volunteers wearing their homemade mask, a surgical mask, or no mask was compared using several air-sampling techniques. The median-fit factor of the homemade masks was one-half that of the surgical masks. Both masks significantly reduced the number of microorganisms expelled by volunteers, although the surgical mask was 3 times more effective in blocking transmission than the homemade mask. Our findings suggest that a homemade mask should only be considered as a last resort to prevent droplet transmission from infected individuals, but it would be better than no protection. (Disaster Med Public Health Preparedness. 2013;0:1-6).

My guess would be then that the forgoing image shows a slowing that is unrelated to wearing masks. I am sorry if the placement of the image suggests that it is part of the paper cited.

OP
David PS

David PS

Copy-of-Add-a-subheading.png

OP
David PS

David PS

How to make your own mask from a tee shirt. Caution: scissors are required.

Peater Piper

I looked up a bunch of studies back in late January or early February when the CDC started pushing the idea that masks had no efficacy for the general public. In my opinion, there's more than adequate evidence to suggest they should be pushed just as much as hand washing. I really believe the CDC made their recommendation based on the shortage of masks, because there's really no other reason to discourage their use.

TomS

In Austria it will be mandatory wearing facemask from April 6, visiting foodstores larger than 400 sqm in area.
Ebay.de sells facemasks with 3 levels for 9,90 euro / 100 pcs

OP
David PS

David PS

I looked up a bunch of studies back in late January or early February when the CDC started pushing the idea that masks had no efficacy for the general public. In my opinion, there's more than adequate evidence to suggest they should be pushed just as much as hand washing. I really believe the CDC made their recommendation based on the shortage of masks, because there's really no other reason to discourage their use.

I agree that the shortage of masks is part of the problem. I think that the CDC has been too focused on pharmaceutical solutions, Vaccines may take over a year to be developed and deployed. Existing drugs and combinations thereof have to be tested; that will takes months. It is becoming apparent, even to our politicians, that we do not have that much time.

Making your own masks and wearing them is just being sensible.

OP
David PS

David PS

In Austria it will be mandatory wearing facemask from April 6, visiting foodstores larger than 400 sqm in area.
Ebay.de sells facemasks with 3 levels for 9,90 euro / 100 pcs

Austrians should be proud. During the famous Spanish Flu of 1918, the US (or at least parts thereof) had a similar policy.

Note the woman in the center of the photo below has her nostrils exposed. That is not an effective way to wear a mask; but she might have complied with the letter of the law and so not end up in jail.
Back to the future.jpg

Last edited:
OP
David PS

David PS

Sneezing in slow motion. The video drives the point home. Hurray for the Australian government for making this "high yuck factor" video. Wouldn't any mask whatsoever help? It is just common sense. Common sense is not so common anymore.

Last edited:
OP
David PS

David PS

Goat-e

Austrians should be proud. During the famous Spanish Flu of 1918, the US (or at least parts thereof) had a similar policy.

Note the woman in the center of the photo below has her nostrils exposed. That is not an effective way to wear a mask; but she might have complied with the letter of the law and so not end up in jail. View attachment 17272

Love how the woman in the center has the mask on but not over her nose. She's like, 'I dare you to send me to jail.'. She's even winking at us too.

OP
David PS

David PS

Kunstruct

I am not sure why, but there were western doctors claiming a mask is zero and does nothing.
Now I see the same doctors that are presented on news media changing their tone a bit towards masks.

To this day I hear people saying what a useless thing a mask is. And guess what, they are right, they often take their mask off and then put it back and often do not even put in over their nose.
Some have said that maybe doctors feared that people do not understand how to use a face mask.
Just go on the street and see how poorly people understand how to wear a mask.

Peater Piper

I heard on the news this morning that one employee at my local food store tested positive.
Several retailers explicitly banned employees from wearing masks.

I am not sure why, but there were western doctors claiming a mask is zero and does nothing.
This is what the CDC, WHO, and Surgeon General were pushing. Many believe it was only because there's a shortage of masks and they didn't want people hoarding them at the expense of health care workers. None of their arguments are supported by scientific studies.