Best Antibiotic For Tooth & Jaw Infection?

Cecilia L.

Hi all,
I think i have a tooth / jaw infection - Thermography exam its showing right side jaw possible dental infection or systemic disease. If i needed to use a round of antibiotics what ones are the best to ask for ?Doxy?
Please please please advice

Symptoms

Swollen Cheek
Some tenderness on the jaw area
My breath its not as fresh as it was in past

Thanks so much!!

BearWithMe

Doxycycline (or any tetracycline for that matter) doesn't penetrate the bones very well. Sadly, Clindamycin is the drug of first choice for jawbone and teeth infections (I wouldn't take that if I wasn't in life-threatening situation).

Penicillin VK and Amoxcillin works very well in milder cases. Dentists don't like to prescribe these "by default", but if you insist on them, they usually agree.

Last edited:

Dobbler

3 antibiotic families that are considered safe are tetracyclines, penicillins and macrolides. I think Ray says that tetracycline family has the most health benefits, so Doxy or Minocycline are good choices. Plain tetracycline needs to be taken away from food so it's not very practical.

OP
Cecilia L.

Cecilia L.

3 antibiotic families that are considered safe are tetracyclines, penicillins and macrolides. I think Ray says that tetracycline family has the most health benefits, so Doxy or Minocycline are good choices. Plain tetracycline needs to be taken away from food so it's not very practical.

Thanks so much!

Grapelander

Clove oil then warm salt water rinse. Ambesol or lidocaine type product will also heal the tissue. Golden seal herb for 2 weeks.
These are good OTC if you do not have doctor access.

Hi all,
I think i have a tooth / jaw infection - Thermography exam its showing right side jaw possible dental infection or systemic disease. If i needed to use a round of antibiotics what ones are the best to ask for ?Doxy?
Please please please advice

Symptoms

Swollen Cheek
Some tenderness on the jaw area
My breath its not as fresh as it was in past

Thanks so much!!

Additionally,not as sole therapeutic,finely cut fresh garlic resting for 25min ,1-2 cloves per meal.

Additionally,not as sole therapeutic,finely cut fresh garlic resting for 25min ,1-2 cloves per meal.

..also: "Penicillin VK and Amoxcillin works very well in milder cases. Dentists don't like to prescribe these "by default", but if you insist on them, they usually agree."

Avoid Fluoroquinolone-type of ABX at all costs.This is important,look them up,and snapshot them for reference.
and mouthwashes,but I do not have recommendations.

Goobz

+1 on avoiding fluroquinolones at all costs.

I'm not sure that tetracyclines or macrolides would be strong enough in this situation - unless dosed at high levels, they're usually considered "bacteriostatic" antibiotics, rather than bacteriocidal ones which are enough to clear the infection their own. Add in cavities, biofilms, etc and I doubt they'd be enough to clear it if it's serious.

Maybe tinidazole or something stronger, but with something like this you probably just need to go with the advice of a (good) doctor

golder

+1 on avoiding fluroquinolones at all costs.

I'm not sure that tetracyclines or macrolides would be strong enough in this situation - unless dosed at high levels, they're usually considered "bacteriostatic" antibiotics, rather than bacteriocidal ones which are enough to clear the infection their own. Add in cavities, biofilms, etc and I doubt they'd be enough to clear it if it's serious.

Maybe tinidazole or something stronger, but with something like this you probably just need to go with the advice of a (good) doctor
Thanks for your expertise here. I don’t have a good doctor either, and can’t seem to find one. Given that the cyclines/macrolides probably won’t be strong enough here, other than tinidazole, what strong antibiotics would you (and do you think ray) recommend in this instance of strong infection? Thanks very much!

Jam

SSKI (Saturated Solution of Potassium Iodide), if you can find it, a few drops on the affected gums 3-4 x day. Otherwise, Lugol's iodine, but dilute it a bit as the 5% can burn the gums, and apply copiously with some cotton.

Goobz

Thanks for your expertise here. I don’t have a good doctor either, and can’t seem to find one. Given that the cyclines/macrolides probably won’t be strong enough here, other than tinidazole, what strong antibiotics would you (and do you think ray) recommend in this instance of strong infection? Thanks very much!

I cant really give you recommendations as I'm not a doctor myself. And I certainly can't speak for Ray at all, and don't even agree with everything he says anyway.
...and anyway, it's not a very smart idea to take random advice from people on the internet, with things like serious infections!

With all that out of the way... different bacteria have different sensitivities to different antibiotics, so my guess is that it really depends on the specific infection. This really is something that a medical professional needs to diagnose for you. All the antibiotics mentioned are pretty broad spectrum, I believe, so they might work. But why risk it, when you can get a proper diagnosis?

Who did the scan that found the infection? What antibiotics / course of action, do they recommend?