What's Your Vitamin D Levels?

I would like to add that I normally consume a lot of dairy but have reduced my consumption to cream in my coffee, cheese with certain meals, and some ice cream before bed.

I was hesitant to take vitamin d for a long time due to fears of calcification of soft tissue but finally decided to proceed due to how low my levels were. I've been mindful not to consume too much calcium while I'm taking my 10000ius daily. I am also taking 180mg of magnesium glycinate 3 times a day and hope to add vitamin K2-MK4 3 times a day as further measures to prevent abnormal calcium deposition.

Unfortunately, there's no way for me to get enough sun exposure during Canadian winters. The other problem is that though I have brown hair and brown eyes, I still burn very easily for some reason in the summer sun. I tried being outside in the sun as often as possible in previous summers but couldn't handle my skin being red and hurting all the time. My wife has lighter hair and eyes than me but is less prone to getting burnt.

im not against the mentioned dosages at all,10000IU/d D3 for a lifetime is physiologic,maybe even more,
but not more than 20000IU.exceptions are medications who can enforce VD catabolism by induction of
liverenzymes.
Professor Dr. Michael F. Holick is one of the foremost experts on Vitamin D,with landmark studies
on the topic.

Parrot

The conversion factor is 2.5-
95nmol/L is only 38ng/ml. It isnt high.

Peat recommends 50 to 60ng/ml, so to keep your level or increase it to 50-60ng/ml,you would want to take 10000IU/d D3 in my opinion.
I believe Peat is suggesting 5000IU,but it is too low for most after my own readings into that matter.
But If you or others are consuming Hi-Ca-dose,then im not as sure.

Thanks Tristan, that conversion rate is good to know along with RP's recommendation. So, my new target will be 125 nmol/L. Cheers

nad

I've noticed Ray Peat (around 50) and Jack Kruse (6o and above) both mention Vitamin D levels being important when it comes to fighting off viruses.

I've only had it tested once about a year ago and it was 37.

It's most likely much higher now as I supplement with vitamin D and try to get as much Florida sun as possible.

I rarely get "flu like" symptoms during the season, but I have noticed this year is noticeably less in duration and intensity. My thyroid is much stronger than a year ago and other important factors of course.

Curious what your's is and if it's correlated with your resistance, or lack of, to flu like symptoms?
I post my story her

1. nadMember
    I'm the walking example of how complicated and controversial things are, and everything ''depends of..,'' and we don't know exactly depend of what. Looks like nobody knows.
    Because we all different, in different condition and situation.
    Any study can't predict anything for everything.
    Five years here, still can't put thing together, still not enough knowledge to solve problems, which bound to each others, I don't know nothing!
    It's like too small blanket - you cover legs - head's not covered, pull it on to the head - legs get exposed.
    Looking for, searching, found some, try - oops ! Fail! And again, and again.
    Vit. D is one from the list.
    I don't remember numbers from the beginning, since they start to check (why? it wasn't checked before few years ago),
    my Dr. told me ''it's enough". I took some at winter anyway, just ''in case''.
    At Fall 2018 it was 30, start to supplementing 2000 then 5000/day fall, winter, summer also despite all summer outside.
    So, plenty of sun,, milk, cheese, butter, cod liver( not oil, canned) beef liver, fruits, sugar,salt,
    no PUFA (last 5 years, but 60 years heavy consumer ), coffee,OJ, etc. ''Peaty''. Also B-s, k-2, E,Mg
    Plus supplement D.
    Test shows 35!!
    Benefits? Last ECHO - calcification of all heart's valves (addition to already existing left ventricular
    hypertrophy and diastolic dysfunction).
    @Amazoniac told me I made the damage by taking V-D.

thanks for reading :)

nad, Yesterday at 7:49 PMReportBookmark
    #14+ QuoteReplySave Quotation

2. Contact
    KunstructMember

I'm the walking example of how complicated and controversial things are, and everything ''depends of..,'' and we don't know exactly depend of what. Looks like nobody knows.
    Because we all different, in different condition and situation.
    Any study can't predict anything for everything.
    Five years here, still can't put thing together, still not enough knowledge to solve problems, which bound to each others, I don't know nothing!
    It's like too small blanket - you cover legs - head's not covered, pull it on to the head - legs get exposed.
    Looking for, searching, found some, try - oops ! Fail! And again, and again.
    Vit. D is one from the list.
    I don't remember numbers from the beginning, since they start to check (why? it wasn't checked before few years ago),
    my Dr. told me ''it's enough". I took some at winter anyway, just ''in case''.
    At Fall 2018 it was 30, start to supplementing 2000 then 5000/day fall, winter, summer also despite all summer outside.
    So, plenty of sun,, milk, cheese, butter, cod liver( not oil, canned) beef liver, fruits, sugar,salt,
    no PUFA (last 5 years, but 60 years heavy consumer ), coffee,OJ, etc. ''Peaty''. Also B-s, k-2, E,Mg
    Plus supplement D.
    Test shows 35!!
    Benefits? Last ECHO - calcification of all heart's valves (addition to already existing left ventricular
    hypertrophy and diastolic dysfunction
    ).
    @Amazoniac told me I made the damage by taking V-D.

thanks for reading :)
    Can calcification of all heart's valve be exclusive to Vit D? No other enzyme or other hormone can be responsible for such thing?

Kunstruct, Today at 7:27 AMReportBookmark
    #15+ QuoteReplySave Quotation
  3. OP

Contact
    KingpinguinMember

Can calcification of all heart's valve be exclusive to Vit D? Not other enzyme or other hormone can be responsible for such thing?
    yeah no way. Never been seen before specially with a dose of 2000-5000 IU. Then eveyone under the sun would have calcified hearts as just short amount of sun exposure gives you 20 000+ IU

in mice models where the claim that excess vit D causes calcification they use 100 000-500 000 IU per day for a week. Thats a huge dose for an animal small as a mice and would assume that a similair dose in humans would be several milions IU.

No freaking way 2000 IU would cause calcification. More likely @nad got the calcification from her deficiency she was trying to treat and not the other way.

Kingpinguin, Today at 8:45 AMReportBookmark
    #16+ QuoteReplySave Quotation

4. nadMember

Can calcification of all heart's valve be exclusive to Vit D? No other enzyme or other hormone can be responsible for such thing?
    Which one can do those things?

yeah no way. Never been seen before specially with a dose of 2000-5000 IU. Then eveyone under the sun would have calcified hearts as just short amount of sun exposure gives you 20 000+ IU

in mice models where the claim that excess vit D causes calcification they use 100 000-500 000 IU per day for a week. Thats a huge dose for an animal small as a mice and would assume that a similair dose in humans would be several milions IU.

No freaking way 2000 IU would cause calcification. More likely @nad got the calcification from her deficiency she was trying to treat and not the other way.
    Yea, that's the puzzle!
    How still low level can do it.
    Actually last year ECHO didn't find any Ca deposit while test show V-D deficiency.
    And I also had and have K-2, and sometimes some Ca carbonate.
    That's why I said everything's upside down in me, not like in others and how it ''should be''.
    I don't know, only @Amazoniac made this 'verdict'.
    So, how to fix it -another hovering in the air question.
    I stop it for a couple weeks, now start again, thinking it protective

I also cant believe it.
D is protective against Calcification in all physiological Dosages by means of PTH-supression
and direct Calcitriol-action.

I believe some people cant handle Calcium very well though,magnesiumdeficiency,all deficiencies are deregulating Calcium.
More is less maybe.

I would advise clean dieting with lots of meat,gelatine,ripe fruit and rice or potatoes,ALL Vitamins and
Elements except the problematic ones dosed to about 50% of Tolerable Upper Intake Level,and moderate low Calcium,like 800mg/d low.

More doesnt feel right to me,maybe because of optimized D-intake.Most of Calcium recommendations are formulated with D-deficiency unrecognized by model-assumption.If D is sufficient,Ca-need reduces.
Highly likely you doesnt react different,just long-standing deficiencies and a background of bad diet-habits.

My current level is 46.9 ng/ml. I live 600 km from equator. I tan daily and walk in the sun every day. Caucasian, white as snow naturally. I expected my levels to be 150+ from that high sun exposure. My dermatologist says I'm on the way to skin cancer because I tan too much lol. I tested it this week and it's only 46.9, kinda confusing. Started supplementing to rise it to 100-150.

baccheion

I’ve had it as high as 95 in Sep 2018 after a whole summer of vacation in the sun, I was super tan too and drinking ample amounts of mineral water high in calcium. Using melanotan and popping 10,000iu’s on and off. I think it went down to mid 50s in March 2019, in the midst of the Canadian winter plus very little supplementing.

I’ve had it as low as 25 for my first test back in 2015.

The way I interpret it nowadays... I feel like low vitamin D comes from a lack of calcium in the diet, or an obvious lack of sun exposure, of both. If dietary calcium is low, why would we manufacture this hormone? It would seem unneeded - nobody wants low blood calcium levels. Thus, I’m guessing that blood 25OHD could be an interesting tool to tweak dietary calcium, the same way homocysteine is useful for B12, or ferritin for iron and inflammation
Growth hormone increases vitamin D. Magnesium sufficiency, especially as it's needed to convert vitamin D to more active forms. Zinc, as it's a part of the VDR. Riboflavin. Melatonin opposes cortisol. And lower cortisol, as it clears vitamin D and thins the cholesterol (precursor) layer in the skin.

Magnesium is usually the louder problem. Some can spend hours in the sun an still have levels in the 20s (ng/mL) due to lower magnesium.

Growth hormone increases vitamin D. Magnesium sufficiency, especially as it's needed to convert vitamin D to more active forms. Zinc, as it's a part of the VDR. Riboflavin. Melatonin opposes cortisol. And lower cortisol, as it clears vitamin D and thins the cholesterol (precursor) layer in the skin.

Magnesium is usually the louder problem. Some can spend hours in the sun an still have levels in the 20s (ng/mL) due to lower magnesium.

Thank you. Valuable input.

My current level is 46.9 ng/ml. I live 600 km from equator. I tan daily and walk in the sun every day. Caucasian, white as snow naturally. I expected my levels to be 150+ from that high sun exposure. My dermatologist says I'm on the way to skin cancer because I tan too much lol. I tested it this week and it's only 46.9, kinda confusing. Started supplementing to rise it to 100-150.

"My current level is 46.9 ng/ml."
"Started supplementing to rise it to 100-150"

there are two scales,ng/ml,and nmol/L.
from ng/ml to nmol/L,multiply by 2.5,or divide by 2.5 vice versa.
Peat recommends between 50 to 60 ng/ml,
I recc going up to 90ng/ml,but not above.
Over 60ng/ml, not over 1000mg Ca,or only with labs.

Last edited:
I just had my Vit D levels tested and it was 49.2. I thought it might be higher because I get a lot of sun exposure in the summer and off and on I take Vit D supplementation. So I was kind of surprised. But now I started taking Vit D with K2 because the K2 is supposed to help your body utilize the Vit D better. I’m hoping it will raise it a bit.

OP
Beastmode

Beastmode

My current level is 58.

I haven't been taking vitamin d supplements much over the past few years, yet most likely got a bit from the store bought milk I drink 6-7 cups of per day. Now that I'm on raw milk 100%, I'm curious what my levels will go to with just sunlight, minus any fortified foods/drinks. I have no plans to take any vitamin d drops from here on out as well.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals