UVB Lamp

raypeatclips

Hello everybody,

I have recently purchased a uvb lamp for the purpose of trying to raise vitamin D this way. I wondered if anyone had any experiences with this, and how to do it? I'm planning on doing a new vitamin D test in the next week or so, and will use the uvb lamp regularly and update this thread accordingly. I am not sure exactly the best way how to use it yet though.

Dave Clark

I have mentioned before that I have the Sperti vitamin D lamp. It has a 5 minute timer for the cycle, I use it about three times per week, but I can't tell you technically how it is raising my vitamin d levels since I also get some d from diet and supplements. On Promolife website there is a link showing the tests that were done/submitted to FDA showing how it raised vitamin D levels.

YourUniverse

I stopped using my UVB lamp. I feel like it stresses me out. Maybe I didnt combine with bright red incandescant light properly, I'm not sure. I was doing about 3 minutes from roughly 1.5 feet away, shining on my face.

OP
raypeatclips

raypeatclips

I never heard from Ray his reasons and how exactly he uses it.
I wonder if it could be good to target red light more or less on the same spot at the same time for protection.

I am not sure his reasons to too. I wondered if it somehow raises D levels where supplements couldn't (like when Peat said he knew "liver avoiders" taking massive doses of D that couldn't raise their levels), but that is just something I made up.

I have mentioned before that I have the Sperti vitamin D lamp. It has a 5 minute timer for the cycle, I use it about three times per week, but I can't tell you technically how it is raising my vitamin d levels since I also get some d from diet and supplements. On Promolife website there is a link showing the tests that were done/submitted to FDA showing how it raised vitamin D levels.

I have no doubts that a uvb lamp can raise vitamin D levels, as the sun has done it this way forever. I was just wondering the safest and most effective ways to do so.

I stopped using my UVB lamp. I feel like it stresses me out. Maybe I didnt combine with bright red incandescant light properly, I'm not sure. I was doing about 3 minutes from roughly 1.5 feet away, shining on my face.

Why would you shine it just on your face? If you are wanting your skin to produce vit D from uvb why wouldn't you expose much larger surface areas?

OP
raypeatclips

raypeatclips

Piecing together posts from this thread I have found about raising vitamin D levels with lamps I've got this.

Experience with UVB Lamp for raising vitamin D

Name: PeterPositive.

Vit D levels of 0 ng/ml (?) in June 2o15. Vit D levels of 45 ng/ml November 2015.

Daily sun exposure of 30-50 minutes in July and August.

Used Androv Dermfix 3000 UVB lamp.

"I started using it every day for a few minutes, slowly building up the tolerance, until I reached a total exposure time of 20 minutes (5m legs front + 5 legs back + 5m chest + 5 back). and I kept doing this for all September and October as substitute for sun exposure."

"Today I got back the vitamin D results and, to my surprise, the level is now 45... which I didn't expect considering it usually takes 6-12 months to recover from a severe deficiency.

In any case I think the lamp has helped quite a bit especially in the last 2 months and in the cloudy days or when I was not able to be out in the sun."

October 2016 update:
"My levels oscillate around 50.
During the cold season I use it 3-4 times a week for at least 10-15 minutes. Typically I do legs (5 min front, 5min back), chest (3 min), back (3min). When I do 10 minutes I only do the legs."

Uses it 25-30 cm away.

Name: brenda

Believe she used Care Lamps - Flexible Psoriasis lamp. Narrowband UVB

Vit D levels 26 ng/ml summer 2015. Raised to 36 ng/ml summer 2016 with sunlight alone.

February 2017 60 ng/ml

"I am using it every other day for 15 mins on face.

In October I spent three weeks in Greece in the sun every day, not like the Greeks covered up in black clothing but as naked as possible. It is amazing that it nearly doubled from late September to late February. I cannot say how much of that was the Greek sun or not."

TripleOG

Capt Nirvana

Hello everybody,

I have recently purchased a uvb lamp for the purpose of trying to raise vitamin D this way. I wondered if anyone had any experiences with this, and how to do it? I'm planning on doing a new vitamin D test in the next week or so, and will use the uvb lamp regularly and update this thread accordingly. I am not sure exactly the best way how to use it yet though.
Irradiating your food with UV light is safer. That's how corporations do it (and have been doing it that way for more than two decades before the structure of vitamin D was "discovered." Back in the day, General Electric scientists knew more about light therapy than junk-science beaker boys do today.

Dave Clark

Just happened to watch a Hollick video, and he showed that Sperti was making vitamin D lamps as far back as 1940, they were using them in hospitals, etc. I own a Sperti D lamp, and it is good to know they are an established company that just didn't start doing this last week, so to speak. Iodine, vitamin D lamps, and a bunch of other stuff went out the window when Big Pharma came on the scene. Also learned on his video that you can wash after UVB tanning, the rays go deeper and washing does not affect the D production. Plus, they did studies of people in nursing homes and found that when exposed to sun their vitamin D levels went up, showing that albeit not as efficient, older people benefit from sun exposure, not to mention the beta-endorphin production that was clinically shown to increase by sun exposure.

David PS

I use a Sperti vitamin D lamp during the winter. Our bodies produce vitamin D3 sulfate in the skin. The D3 supplements that I see being sold do not contain sulphur. When people have their vitamin D levels tested, they do not report how much of the vitamin D is sulphated. If I get my vitamin D the old fashion way (via sunlight), then it is mostly sulphated. The difference between the 2 forms of vitamin D is assumed to be meaningless in the medical community, but I will wait for the research to confirm this assumption.

From and old abstract entitled 25‐Hydroxyvitamin D3 3‐sulphate is a major circulating form of vitamin D in man
25-Hydroxyvitamin D3 3 beta-sulphate has been identified in human plasma. The compound was isolated by anion-exchange chromatography and following hydrolysis it was characterized by high-performance liquid chromatography and gas chromatography-mass spectrometry. The mean concentration of sulphated 25-hydroxyvitamin D3 in plasma from 60 patients was 16.7 +/- 7.1 ng/ml and the levels often exceeded those of the corresponding free compound. The study also shows that unconjugated 25-hydroxyvitamin D3 is not readily sulphated by man in vivo.

Waynish

I don't see how the Sperti is better than reptile lamps considering their spectrums are more balanced like the suns... And considering research the infrared decreases UVB damage when had simultaneously. Of course: if we are "optimizing for Vitamin D," but that's how a proper biologist should think.

Dave Clark

I don't see how the Sperti is better than reptile lamps considering their spectrums are more balanced like the suns... And considering research the infrared decreases UVB damage when had simultaneously. Of course: if we are "optimizing for Vitamin D," but that's how a proper biologist should think.
Full spectrum, like from the sun, would probably be better, but the Sperti is designed specifically for D production, not balanced sunlight. Sperti was also tested and FDA approved, so we know what it produces, do we know what and how much the reptile lights, etc. produce?

LeeLemonoil

You’re right to question the equation of sulfated and non-sulfated D. It’s nonsense that they are interchangeable in physiological action.

I use a Sperti vitamin D lamp during the winter. Our bodies produce vitamin D3 sulfate in the skin. The D3 supplements that I see being sold do not contain sulphur. When people have their vitamin D levels tested, they do not report how much of the vitamin D is sulphated. If I get my vitamin D the old fashion way (via sunlight), then it is mostly sulphated. The difference between the 2 forms of vitamin D is assumed to be meaningless in the medical community, but I will wait for the research to confirm this assumption.

From and old abstract entitled 25‐Hydroxyvitamin D3 3‐sulphate is a major circulating form of vitamin D in man
25-Hydroxyvitamin D3 3 beta-sulphate has been identified in human plasma. The compound was isolated by anion-exchange chromatography and following hydrolysis it was characterized by high-performance liquid chromatography and gas chromatography-mass spectrometry. The mean concentration of sulphated 25-hydroxyvitamin D3 in plasma from 60 patients was 16.7 +/- 7.1 ng/ml and the levels often exceeded those of the corresponding free compound. The study also shows that unconjugated 25-hydroxyvitamin D3 is not readily sulphated by man in vivo.

David PS

You’re right to question the equation of sulfated and non-sulfated D. It’s nonsense that they are interchangeable in physiological action.

Thanks. Stephanie Seneff seems to think a deficiency of cholesterol sulfate, from which the sulfated D is made, is a problem in our modern world.
Sulfate: A Common Nutrient Deficiency You’re Probably Ignoring
and
Sulfate Deficiency in Neurological Disease Following Aluminum and Glyphosate Exposure
https://people.csail.mit.edu/seneff/2015/SeneffJune2_2015.pdf

stephanie seneff sulfate - Buscar con Google

LeeLemonoil

Sulfates steroids and secosteroids act differently than their unconjugated forms. Other kinetics, other molecular interactions, other effects

Waynish

Full spectrum, like from the sun, would probably be better, but the Sperti is designed specifically for D production, not balanced sunlight. Sperti was also tested and FDA approved, so we know what it produces, do we know what and how much the reptile lights, etc. produce?

I just know from their spectral output that it is much more balanced. I don't really care about what the FDA thinks. The spectral output from Sperti is very unbalanced and specific.

Dave Clark

I just know from their spectral output that it is much more balanced. I don't really care about what the FDA thinks. The spectral output from Sperti is very unbalanced and specific.
I don't care what the FDA thinks either, the FDA approval was so that Sperti could say what there light does because there was FDA required testing. I don't naively think something FDA approved is automatically good, it is a testing validation. Reptile lights can't claim anything, especially for human use, but do they have the testing to back up their claims of what their lights put out? Sperti does.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals