What Is The Best Type Of Calcium Supplement (2020)

Oh wow! That's not good. I've only had kale a couple of times in my life because I don't care for the taste of it but each time I had it, it made me sick to my stomach and gave me a headache.

I was thinking, if well tolerated, dried figs are a pretty good source of calcium too. I eat quite a few of them daily.
That sucks. Interesting that there are other people who don't feel too great after the kale broth.

Figs can be great. Not only do they have a lot of calcium( raw, non- dehydrated figs have about 350 mg of calcium per kilo), but also lots of carbs, manganese, vitamin B1, etc.: https://www.nutritionvalue.org/Figs,_raw_nutritional_value.html

Whole oranges are pretty high in calcium too( 400 mg per kilo!): https://www.nutritionvalue.org/Oranges,_all_commercial_varieties,_raw_nutritional_value.html

LucH

...and probably a slow thyroid.
yes but specially if you lack iodine and selenium.
Anthocynanidins of cruciferous depress thyroid if ... if too much present or no sufficiant protective trace elements.

LucH

I take 500 mg eggshell once a day. More or less 175 gr calcium element, I think. Carbonate with other trace elements.
Remember you need K2 to assimilate calcium supplement; otherwise calcium could deposit in arteries and vessels.
I won't take more than 250 mg Ca element at one time.
750-850 mg Ca is optimal if diet is balanced.

Jennifer

That sucks. Interesting that there are other people who don't feel too great after the kale broth.

Figs can be great. Not only do they have a lot of calcium( raw, non- dehydrated figs have about 350 mg of calcium per kilo), but also lots of carbs, manganese, vitamin B1, etc.: https://www.nutritionvalue.org/Figs,_raw_nutritional_value.html

Whole oranges are pretty high in calcium too( 400 mg per kilo!): https://www.nutritionvalue.org/Oranges,_all_commercial_varieties,_raw_nutritional_value.html
Yeah, I have that reaction to all but the milder greens -- sweet lettuces. I know kale, collards, chard etc. are praised for their nutrient density, but I'd rather get my nutrients from foods I digest well and actually enjoy, even if it means eating more -- I eat so many calories that I hit my nutrient requirements by default.

Oh cool! I didn't realize that oranges have more calcium than figs. I usually compare foods in their raw state, but I must have compared them with dried figs when I last checked. I think I remember orange peel having just as much calcium as dried figs so candied orange peels could make for a tasty calcium supplement. :)

In my experience, kale broth is one of the most terrible things for my metabolism. I tried it a long time ago, and it just didn't work out. After just one cup of this broth, I got freezing hands, zero libido, insomnia, and just overall fatigue. And I didn't even use a pound of leaves. Probably put half a pound in the there, at max.

I’ve enjoyed kale broth without a problem.

Elize

Eggshell calcium with lemon and. Nettle gave me severe rashes. Both high histamine and liberators. People with gut issues need to be cautious

Elize

Kale is highly goitrogenic and bad for thyroid. I have the same problem. Many Peat recommend foods are high histamine and oxalates.

Birdie

Kale is highly goitrogenic and bad for thyroid. I have the same problem. Many Peat recommend foods are high histamine and oxalates.
Would you give some other examples of high histamine foods you've seen recommended by Peat? Since he advises lowering histamines, it's odd that he would recommend foods that raise histamine. Maybe other properties outweigh the problem. ?? Maybe he says to take small amounts for other nutrients ?

Or to use those foods only occasionally. For example, he advises using a Zinc supplement only occasionally because it interferes with a lot of other nutrients.

Birdie

Eggshell calcium with lemon and. Nettle gave me severe rashes. Both high histamine and liberators. People with gut issues need to be cautious
By both being his histamine, do you mean lemon and nettle ? Not eggshell calcium right?

I have gut issues so am always interested...

Elize

Lemon juice is a Histamine liberator. Eggshell calcium being gritty causes problems for us with be Celiac's or IBS it triggers a toxic reaction. I even tried making my own. Same effect

Elize

Milk,. Cheese, yogurts, potatoes, chocolate all high histamine. Aspirin, lemon, orange juice etc are all triggering histamine foods

Elize

Read up on mast cell activation/dysregulation. Also histamine food lists. High oxalates

golder

I always thought Nettle tea was promoted as an antihistmaine?

Elize

It is a liberator with someone like me. I can't even use Claritin and likes. Nettle is high Lectins and oxalates and toxic to some people.

Birdie

One problem I have is that some of the foods such as orange juice are high in arginine. I try to go higher with lysine since I had a shingles attack way back.
So, I don't drink as much oj as I might otherwise for the naringinen and all.

Birdie

Milk,. Cheese, yogurts, potatoes, chocolate all high histamine. Aspirin, lemon, orange juice etc are all triggering histamine foods
Interesting on the histamine foods. Not sure what he would say about that. I don't tolerate the doses of anti histamines he recommends.

He does recommend milk, oj and aspirin for lowering estrogen and inflammation... Ray only recommends a teaspoon or is it a tablespoon of yogurt a day btw. I don't do nightshades, so no potatoes.

@Josh, I'm meandering and see this thread is about calcium. I've read the whole thread and agree with whoever suggested eggshell calcium as being Ray's preferred. I am not using a supplement right now, but when I did I used Swanson's because I am not going to grind up eggshells. It isn't perfect and has some additives.

Somebody mentioned iodine. I quit iodine after reading Ray's comments on that. I keep bottle of Iodoral on hand for an emergency which I hope never happens.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom