A Guide On PFS

GenericName86

As someone that got pretty screwed over by fin I appreciate this post, thanks Hans, I will give it a good read.

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
As someone that got pretty screwed over by fin I appreciate this post, thanks Hans, I will give it a good read.
I hope it's helpful. Let me know if you have any questions.

Arnold Grape

What about donating blood? If these symptoms are the result of sum total blood volume, seems like that practice would be helpful in the case of PFS — I also always wonder what people mean when they say, fix your liver: we cite vitamin k, taurine and other things, but what are the symptoms of an improved liver?

Also, is fin like the worst thing someone can take? My friend with great hair went downhill after experimenting with the stuff: he did drink a lot and smoked, but he seemed in ok health despite these things. Eventually the mental state became badly impaired.

johnwester130

What about donating blood? If these symptoms are the result of sum total blood volume, seems like that practice would be helpful in the case of PFS — I also always wonder what people mean when they say, fix your liver: we cite vitamin k, taurine and other things, but what are the symptoms of an improved liver?

Also, is fin like the worst thing someone can take? My friend with great hair went downhill after experimenting with the stuff: he did drink a lot and smoked, but he seemed in ok health despite these things. Eventually the mental state became badly impaired.

topically it is much safer , and more effective

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter

I cannot find research showing that finasteride users have altered blood volume. Finasteride users appear to have normal hemoglobin and hematocrit. Also, I can't find research showing the finasteride alters iron levels.
Improved liver function symptoms include better energy, better mood, being able to go longer without food, less toxic symptoms, better thyroid function, etc.
With improving your liver I'm referring to fixing what might be wrong. I could be fatty or liver enzymes could be elevated. Vitamin K2, taurine, glycine, caffeine, B-vitamins and certain herbs can reduce fat content in the liver and lower elevated liver enzymes.

Ashoka

Thank you for putting this together @Hans. Surely much appreciated by many people and it’s a really helpful resource.

I would add that in terms of testing, it’s been said people with PFS don’t seem to have any extreme overt abnormalities in hormones in the conventional sense, as far as I know. However I think it was at least made clear that allopregnanolone is severely diminished. But for example, T and DHT are often in normal ranges. That’s something that has constituted at least the appearance of a puzzle and been the source of a lot of resignation.

Also you may be interested in checking out what Peat says about it directly, albeit in brief, at 27:05 -

sladerunner69

Thank you for putting this together @Hans. Surely much appreciated by many people and it’s a really helpful resource.

I would add that in terms of testing, it’s been said people with PFS don’t seem to have any extreme overt abnormalities in hormones in the conventional sense, as far as I know. However I think it was at least made clear that allopregnanolone is severely diminished. But for example, T and DHT are often in normal ranges. That’s something that has constituted at least the appearance of a puzzle and been the source of a lot of resignation.

Also you may be interested in checking out what Peat says about it directly, albeit in brief, at 27:05 -

I believe that even though most hormones on a blood test can be in range, it is really the reduction in 5-ar reduced steroids that causes these horrible issues. 5-ar types 1, 2 and 3 are responsible for DHT, neurosteroids including allo-p and thdoc, and could possibly have additional functions that are unknown to science.

Hi all,

I wrote an article on PFS, what might cause it and how to focus on and fix what might be wrong. This article is not only for PFS sufferers but also for all who suffer from related symptoms.

Enjoy: Post-Finasteride Syndrome: how to resolve it by... » MenElite

Let me know what you think.

Personally I took finasteride in 2011 and still experience debilitating neurological effects like poor focus, brain fog, and lethargy. My body is also quite numb, especially the left side from my head to my toe. The things you posted are the things I've tried that seem to help the most, like thyroid, niacinimide, dhea, 5a-dhp, andro etc. I have never been able to feel all that much better though, I still feel I suffer constantly unfortunately, but I am able to function well enough to hold a job and get by.

I think stimulating the vagus nerve is also an important aspect of this, because lower allopreg causes demyelianation. You mentioned some things I hadn't thought of trying yet so I very much appreciate that. I think I will get another blood test soon and do your recommended tests and recalibrate from there.

I want to mention that I had a big change when I took high dose androsterone for a month last October. It completely got rid of my anxiety which was so constant that I had almost forgotten how bad it was. I think it helped to resensitize the androgen receptors or something. However, I actually felt it worsened by brain fog significantly, as I have been having more trouble thinking, speaking, conceptualizing since then.

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
I believe that even though most hormones on a blood test can be in range, it is really the reduction in 5-ar reduced steroids that causes these horrible issues. 5-ar types 1, 2 and 3 are responsible for DHT, neurosteroids including allo-p and thdoc, and could possibly have additional functions that are unknown to science.

Personally I took finasteride in 2011 and still experience debilitating neurological effects like poor focus, brain fog, and lethargy. My body is also quite numb, especially the left side from my head to my toe. The things you posted are the things I've tried that seem to help the most, like thyroid, niacinimide, dhea, 5a-dhp, andro etc. I have never been able to feel all that much better though, I still feel I suffer constantly unfortunately, but I am able to function well enough to hold a job and get by.

I think stimulating the vagus nerve is also an important aspect of this, because lower allopreg causes demyelianation. You mentioned some things I hadn't thought of trying yet so I very much appreciate that. I think I will get another blood test soon and do your recommended tests and recalibrate from there.

I want to mention that I had a big change when I took high dose androsterone for a month last October. It completely got rid of my anxiety which was so constant that I had almost forgotten how bad it was. I think it helped to resensitize the androgen receptors or something. However, I actually felt it worsened by brain fog significantly, as I have been having more trouble thinking, speaking, conceptualizing since then.
What dose andro did you take? The worsening of brain fog might most likely have been to too much GABA activation. Adding preg to the mix might have helped as pregnenolone-sulfate is a GABA antagonist. They might help balance each other out.

GenericName86

Sorry if I missed it in your guide Hans but how would one restore 5β-R? would it just get better with overall DHT recovery?

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
Sorry if I missed it in your guide Hans but how would one restore 5β-R? would it just get better with overall DHT recovery?
5b-R is relatively understudied compared to 5AR so I'd think if you "fix" 5AR then 5b-R would also improve.

sladerunner69

What dose andro did you take? The worsening of brain fog might most likely have been to too much GABA activation. Adding preg to the mix might have helped as pregnenolone-sulfate is a GABA antagonist. They might help balance each other out.

I took a product called Androgel. It is 50% androsterone and 50% epiandrosterone (which converts mainly to stenelone, not DHT). A full dosage is 400mg per day, but it is a topical cream so it is difficult to say how much is actually absorbed. A product rep I emailed said the product uses a very efficient solvent that ensures >90% absorption. I took just 100mg (1/4 recommended dosage) my first week and it had a huge effect on me. Some guys take 600mg for weeks and only see improvement.

I initially felt a huge burst in confidence/alpha male energy and focus that I hadn't felt anything like in 10 years. I thought I finally had found what would save me from my eternal suffering, and was overjoyed. Then I began having insomnia, feeling dizzy and nervous. I think it brought my estrogen too low and overstimulated GABA. I kept taking it and icnreasing the dosage by 100mg each week, pushing through the difficult bits. After 4 weeks I was taking 400mg and getting more used to the strange effects. When I stopped I noticed that the intense anxiety I constantly endured before had vanished. However, my head was seriously messed up and it was harder to concentrate then before, and I already had a lot of difficulty focusing. I had worse headaches too, and an intense feeling of not being "inside" myself, that only PFS guys understand (its the worst ugh).

Anyways I'm thinking maybe the androsterone helped DHT-wise, but now I need something to increase neurosteroids like ALLO-p to go along with it and maintain a balance. Taking glycine, gelsenium, niacinamide leads to small improvement. Taking pregnenlone/progesterone helps with neurological problems but makes me feel more tired and weak, I think because progesterone opposing DHT. Taking DHEA increases energy and strength but makes me irritable and mad. I am thinking maybe androsterone + 5adhp is the best bet, but I fear this will too strongly suppress estrogen. Right now I am taking thyroid and it seems to help stabilize me and help me function better, but certainly has not cured it.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals