Important Question On Applying Squalane As A Moisturiser

Steve123

Which one would be better? Even though i think it doesnt matter with squalane because its all hydrogenated so their all 100% saturated etc.. But would this Organic Olive Oil one be better than this other one with sugarcane?

Sorry for this question but would one or both be okay to use in the man hood area (The tip of the penis mainly, had this weird dryness there over the last months) as a moisturiser and maybe to use as lube, I have eczema/dry skin in that area in general, (I know, diet and solving the problem internally is better, but as you know, i would like relief from the dryness down there, it splits) Could it cause any problems applying it to the tip of penis on an internal level? (Not talking about skin irritation etc..)

These are the two products:

- Emolliating Olive Squalane O7

- Peter Thomas Roth Face Care Oilless Oil 100% Purified Squalane (Derived From Sugarcane) 30ml - Skincare

Jennifer

Huh, the one derived from sugarcane is very interesting. I've never come across one made from sugarcane before. Aside from coconut oil and cocoa butter, squalane is one of my favorite oils, especially for the summer since it absorbs quickly and leaves no oily residue. Anyhow, with using it in delicate areas, the only concerns I can think of are whether or not it's sourced from organic sugarcane and then how it's purified. Basically, whether or not there are any residual chemicals left over that could pose a problem/negative reaction.

OP
S

Steve123

Huh, the one derived from sugarcane is very interesting. I've never come across one made from sugarcane before. Aside from coconut oil and cocoa butter, squalane is one of my favorite oils, especially for the summer since it absorbs quickly and leaves no oily residue. Anyhow, with using it in delicate areas, the only concerns I can think of are whether or not it's sourced from organic sugarcane and then how it's purified. Basically, whether or not there are any residual chemicals left over that could pose a problem/negative reaction.

Yeah I wonder how they manage it with sugar cane..

Yeah so maybe better to go with the organic olive oil derived one instead?

I was speaking to company of the olive oil product and they said:

“Because of the saturation process it isn't really the same thing as the original olive oil”

They also replied with this:

“The CO2 extraction process involves pumping carbon dioxide into the extraction vessel. A combination of temperature and pressure then extracts the oil. When the vessel is cooled and opened the carbon dioxide evaporates.

Co2 extraction is a better method than cold pressing as it doesn't leave a residue.

No, the process does not add any chemicals to the final product.”

They believe that the co2 method gives the purest product..

Jennifer

Yeah, if it were me, I'd go with the organic olive oil derived squalane. Even better is it's CO2 extracted. I use essential oils and make it a point to get the CO2 extracted ones whenever possible.

golder

What's the difference between Squalene and Squalane? Looking to decide which would work better as a facial moisturiser. Thanks for the help everyone!

Last edited:

golder

What's the difference between Squalene and Squalane? Looking to decide which would work better as a facial moisturiser. Thanks for the help everyone!

dreamcatcher

Which one would be better? Even though i think it doesnt matter with squalane because its all hydrogenated so their all 100% saturated etc.. But would this Organic Olive Oil one be better than this other one with sugarcane?

Sorry for this question but would one or both be okay to use in the man hood area (The tip of the penis mainly, had this weird dryness there over the last months) as a moisturiser and maybe to use as lube, I have eczema/dry skin in that area in general, (I know, diet and solving the problem internally is better, but as you know, i would like relief from the dryness down there, it splits) Could it cause any problems applying it to the tip of penis on an internal level? (Not talking about skin irritation etc..)

These are the two products:

- Emolliating Olive Squalane O7

- Peter Thomas Roth Face Care Oilless Oil 100% Purified Squalane (Derived From Sugarcane) 30ml - Skincare
Ray Peat wrote me in an email that squalane is essentially the same as mineral oil and is linked to arthritis. He also sent me the study.
I know it's a hype now..

golder

Ray Peat wrote me in an email that squalane is essentially the same as mineral oil and is linked to arthritis. He also sent me the study.
I know it's a hype now..
I just ordered a huge bottle of Squalane moisturiser as well. What a waste of money.

dreamcatcher

Ray Peat wrote me in an email that squalane is essentially mineral oil and is linked to arthritis. He also sent me the study.
I know it's a hype now..
I just ordered a huge bottle of Squalane moisturiser as well. What a waste of money.
Poor you, I feel sorry for you.

Here is the email:

"Vitamin A is safe to use on the skin, and can help to increase its vitality; it can be mixed with a little lanolin, and the sterols in that work in the same direction. Vitamin A shouldn’t be used on the skin when you are going to get prolonged sun exposure. Squalane is a long saturated carbon chain, essentially the same as mineral oil."
  • Arthritis Res Ther. 2005;7(6):R1296-303. Epub 2005 Sep 23.
    Association between occupational exposure to mineral oil and rheumatoid
    arthritis: results from the Swedish EIRA case-control study.

Sverdrup B, Kallberg H, Bengtsson C, Lundberg I, Padyukov L, Alfredsson L,
    Klareskog L; Epidemiological Investigation of Rheumatoid Arthritis Study Group.
    Department of Medicine, Karolinska Institutet, Karolinska Hospital, Stockholm,
    Sweden. [email protected]
    The aim of the present study was to investigate the association between exposure
    to mineral oil and the risk of developing rheumatoid arthritis (RA), and in
    addition to perform a separate analysis on the major subphenotypes for the
    disease; namely, rheumatoid factor (RF)-positive RA, RF-negative RA,
    anticitrulline-positive RA and anticitrulline-negative RA, respectively. A
    population-based case-control study of incident cases of RA was performed among
    the population aged 18-70 years in a defined area of Sweden during May
    1996-December 2003. A case was defined as an individual from the study base who
    for the first time received a diagnosis of RA according to the American College
    of Rheumatology criteria of 1987. Controls were randomly selected from the study
    base with consideration taken for age, gender and residential area. Cases (n =
    1,419) and controls (n = 1,674) answered an extensive questionnaire regarding
    lifestyle factors and occupational exposures, including different types of
    mineral oils. Sera from cases and controls were investigated for RF and
    anticitrulline antibodies.Among men, exposure to any mineral oil was associated
    with a 30% increased relative risk of developing RA (relative risk = 1.3, 95%
    confidence interval = 1.0-1.7). When cases were subdivided into RF-positive RA
    and RF-negative RA, an increased risk
    was only observed for RF-positive RA
    (relative risk = 1.4, 95% confidence interval 1.0-2.0). When RA cases were
    subdivided according to the presence of anticitrulline antibodies, an increased
    risk associated with exposure to any mineral oil was observed only for
    anticitrulline-positive RA (relative risk = 1.6, 95% confidence interval =
    1.1-2.2). Analysis of the interaction between oil exposure and the presence of
    HLA-DR shared epitope genes regarding the incidence of RA indicated that the
    increased risk associated with exposure to mineral oil was not related to the
    presence of shared epitope genotypes. In conclusion, our study shows that
    exposure to mineral oil is associated with an increased risk to develop

RF-positive RA and anticitrulline-positive RA, respectively. The findings are of
    particular interest since the same mineral oils can induce polyarthritis in
    rats.

golder

I'm still not quite sure if Squalane is good as a facial moistuiser though? I don't know if the arthiritis potential has much relevance when it comes to facial application?

dreamcatcher

I'm still not quite sure if Squalane is good as a facial moistuiser though? I don't know if the arthiritis potential has much relevance when it comes to facial application?
I asked him about a facial moisturizer which contained squalane and that was his reply.

Jennifer

I know it's a hype now..
Well that's a bummer! I guess it's fractionated coconut oil and smelling like a musty goat for me then. :( Unless lanolin is light enough, but I recall reading that it has a barnyard smell, too. Maybe if I use enough rose and jasmine oil it will mask the odor.

golder

Well that's a bummer! I guess it's fractionated coconut oil and smelling like a musty goat for me then. :( Unless lanolin is light enough, but I recall reading that it has a barnyard smell, too. Maybe if I use enough rose and jasmine oil it will mask the odor.
Frustrating isn't it. Coconut oil is too greasy and the Lanolin I just purchased has a barnyard type smell like you mentioned. Running out of good options for a facial moisturiser here!

Jennifer

How have they achieved lanolin in a liquid oil form here? It says 100% lanolin oil on the ingredients but I thought it always came in a solid form at room temp? Strange?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Now-Foods-...eywords=organic+lanolin&qid=1591787905&sr=8-6
Hmm...maybe they remove the wax portion of the lanolin?

Have you tried fractionated coconut oil? I find it sinks in the skin pretty quickly but depending on the person's chemistry, it can leave a musty smell. For me, it takes a couple hours for the smell to disappear.

dreamcatcher

Oils don't hydrate the skin. They nourish, lubricate, and form a protective lipid barrier on the surface of the skin to help keep water in, but since they don't contain any water themselves, they do not actually moisturise by hydrating.
A water based hydrator should be used prior to using oils. Why don't you try hyaluronic acid?

Jennifer

Oils don't hydrate the skin. They nourish, lubricate, and form a protective lipid barrier on the surface of the skin to help keep water in, but since they don't contain any water themselves, they do not actually moisturise by hydrating.
A water based hydrator should be used prior to using oils. Why don't you try hyaluronic acid?
Thanks for the suggestion! :) I used hyaluronic acid in my 20s when my skin lacked moisture but with all the fruit I eat now, it stays well hydrated even in winter. I use the oil mainly as a carrier for my essential oils/absolutes.

dreamcatcher

Thanks for the suggestion! :) I used hyaluronic acid in my 20s when my skin lacked moisture but with all the fruit I eat now, it stays well hydrated even in winter. I use the oil mainly as a carrier for my essential oils/absolutes.
Oh that's great to hear! Hyaluronic acid generally works by pulling moisture from the environment into your skin, but in a dry climate where there is no moisture in the air, it can actually pull that moisture from your skin. Using a “barrier moisturizer” will help hyaluronic acid work better in dry environment.

We tend to think that drinking a lot of water can cure dry skin, but that it's not effective. A normally hydrated person probably won't see a difference in their skin after drinking an increased volume of water.
One small study, published in the journal of Clinical Cosmetic Investigative Dermatology, “did show that drinking water could nominally help dry skin, but it took 16 glasses of water (just less than 1 gallon [3.79 litres]) to see an improvement, and the improvement was only statistical, which means that most people would not notice a difference in real life.”
It's topical treatments that are vital when it comes to hydration of the skin.

Jennifer

Oh that's great to hear! Hyaluronic acid generally works by pulling moisture from the environment into your skin, but in a dry climate where there is no moisture in the air, it can actually pull that moisture from your skin. Using a “barrier moisturizer” will help hyaluronic acid work better in dry environment.

We tend to think that drinking a lot of water can cure dry skin, but that it's not effective. A normally hydrated person probably won't see a difference in their skin after drinking an increased volume of water.
One small study, published in the journal of Clinical Cosmetic Investigative Dermatology, “did show that drinking water could nominally help dry skin, but it took 16 glasses of water (just less than 1 gallon [3.79 litres]) to see an improvement, and the improvement was only statistical, which means that most people would not notice a difference in real life.”
It's topical treatments that are vital when it comes to hydration of the skin.
Yep, it's a humectant just like glycerin. I live in a wet climate so HA worked well for me. And thank you for quoting that study! The only water I consume comes from the fruit, coconut water and some occasional decaf coffee. I just never felt well drinking plain water so I hardly ever did.