"Safe Pan" For Eggs

boris

There are many good, but also some bad reviews reporting metallic taste and chipping of the bottom: Amazon.com: Customer reviews: Homi Chef 14-teiliges Kochgeschirr-Set aus nickelfreiem Edelstahl

It seems it was improper use on their part.

Nicole W.

What do you fry eggs in? Such a pain to clean a "safe" pan. I know stainless steel can work without too much cleanup, but it's a pain too.

Any good non-stick pans for eggs?
Our solution was a Hestan Pan from William Sonoma. Nothing sticks to it really. Clean up is easy.

boris

I think the Nano Particles used in the Hestan Pan can be problematic if they make their way into the food somehow. Maybe someone with chemistry knowledge could clear up if the Nanoparticle coating can leech or chip.

Nicole W.

I think the Nano Particles used in the Hestan Pan can be problematic if they make their way into the food somehow. Maybe someone with chemistry knowledge could clear up if the Nanoparticle coating can leech or chip.
I’ve heard that titanium nanoparticles can be a concern, but I thought that was more at issue with ceramic coatings that used titanium. The Hestan website, FWIW, says their NanoBond pans are 4 times harder than stainless and 100% nontoxic. Hopefully that’s true, lol. I always thought that fats added to any pan before cooking food created a barrier anyway.

Mito

“Testing shows a wide range of compounds in different brands and some are safe while others aren’t. Recent controversy emerged about the potential of lead and cadmium leaching from even high-end brands like Le Creuset. However, the company published their safety data and testing and showed no trace of lead or cadmium. I own several blue Le Creuset pans made in France and when I tested them they showed no trace of lead or cadmium, which cheaper brands did test very high for lead.

For Le Creuset specifically, some reports indicate that the color of the pan makes a difference and that blue is one of the safer colors so this could be the reason (but I have not verified this yet).”

What Is the Safest Cookware & Bakeware? A Review | Wellness Mama

Mito

Pure ceramic but expensive.

upload_2020-3-15_12-31-14.png

upload_2020-3-15_12-32-11.png

7-Inch Traditions Open Skillet

Jib

I use a Silit Silargan pan. It's great.

Isn't completely non-stick. But with enough coconut oil and high enough temp, it cleans up very easily.

Vajra

"1. TEFLON nonstick coatings, free of PFOA (a potentially toxic chemical), are especially engineered by HOMI-CHEF to resist chipping, peeling, flaking, and other kinds of abrasions."
"2. TEFLON nonstick coatings can withstand temperatures up to 660F, which far exceeds everyday cooking temperatures (around 400F) & safe for normal home cooking (250F-300F)."

rei

WMF has frying pans with ceradur coating, it is an ultra-hard ceramic used for coating high speed bearings and should be close to the most inert thing you can find. NO PTFE/PFOA etc.

AlaskaJono

WMF has frying pans with ceradur coating, it is an ultra-hard ceramic used for coating high speed bearings and should be close to the most inert thing you can find. NO PTFE/PFOA etc.
I have a hard time paying for fancy coatings on pans anymore. Lots of cash spent over the years, and they do not last more than a few years. Let us know if that lasts for 10 years.
Hi carbon steel French omelette pan or Cast iron. Old school here. Keep it seasoned, and it is excellent for fried eggs. Or the occasional scrambled/omelette. Lately we just soft-boil them, 5-6 minutes, then dip in cold water 20 seconds so the yolk is still liquid. A physiology professor once explained to me 30 years ago how the lecithin in the uncooked yolk actually lowers cholesterol. I just ducked and go'd it, and it lowers the absorption. Good on ya professor!

rei

I have a hard time paying for fancy coatings on pans anymore. Lots of cash spent over the years, and they do not last more than a few years. Let us know if that lasts for 10 years.
Hi carbon steel French omelette pan or Cast iron. Old school here. Keep it seasoned, and it is excellent for fried eggs. Or the occasional scrambled/omelette. Lately we just soft-boil them, 5-6 minutes, then dip in cold water 20 seconds so the yolk is still liquid. A physiology professor once explained to me 30 years ago how the lecithin in the uncooked yolk actually lowers cholesterol. I just ducked and go'd it, and it lowers the absorption. Good on ya professor!
It has lasted for about 5 years, but i was being very careless thinking it is better than it actually is, using stainless utensils occasionally to manipulate the food and of course it caused scratches. It is not burnt and the scratches are not deep, but it is "ruined" in that it does not look new when watched against light in the right angle and probably the non-stick properties have worsened a bit.

The good thing is that wmf is not expensive brand, and the pan was only about 30 euros in discount.

Vajra

So basically any 100% stainless steel pan has PTFE?
Sounds good - which pan is that? They have many types on their site - is 'SiliTherm' the ceradur coating,
I'm in the USA so I have to buy on ebay (not that buying secondhand is a downside for some cookware)
Is a ceramic coating on stainless steel any different than pure ceramic? Not sure which is better to go for.

rei

So basically any 100% stainless steel pan has PTFE?

Sounds good - which pan is that? They have many types on their site - is 'SiliTherm' the ceradur coating,
I'm in the USA so I have to buy on ebay (not that buying secondhand is a downside for some cookware)
Is a ceramic coating on stainless steel any different than pure ceramic? Not sure which is better to go for.
The pan i bought years ago is not in their line-up any longer. Silitherm appears to be marketing name for the bottom that works on all heat sources, while ceradur and permadur are the ceramic cotatings. Permadur seems to be the newer high-end one, as they offer 5 year guarantee on it.

peter88

I thought that as well until I read her post and did a little more digging. Depending on the manufacturing process or the source of the raw materials it can still be contaminated with heavy metals that can leach out of the finished product so her story can still make sense.
I also found this which says that the older Visions cookware had heavy metals in it.
Non-toxic pots & pans - Natural Baby Mama "I tested a brand new Visions Glass Cookware set for lead, cadmium and other metals with and Niton XL3T XRF. The old Visions I have been told contains heavy metals and I would never use it (and I recommend you stop using it if you have an older Visions cookware set you are using). The old version is about 10 years old. To see the exact set tested click here.
The new Visions cookware is free of lead, cadmium and any other metals. It is made of glass & ceramic material. "

But then I found two studies that show aluminum leaching from borosilicate glass. The glass has about 1-2% aluminum in it.
Aluminum elution and precipitation in glass vials: effect of pH and buffer species. - PubMed - NCBI
Influence of the glass packing on the contamination of pharmaceutical products by aluminium. Part II: amino acids for parenteral nutrition. - PubMed - NCBI
visions cookware gives me tinnitus and scalp psoriasis that I can replicate over and over again. Thought I was going crazy but I finally stopped cooking in visions pots and the ear vibrations slowly vanished.

peter88

visions cookware gives me tinnitus and scalp psoriasis that I can replicate over and over again. Thought I was going crazy but I finally stopped cooking in visions pots and the ear vibrations slowly vanished.
What would cause this? Heavy metals? Tamara Rubin has tested visions cookware and something that comes back high every time is barium. Concerning.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals