Any One Start A Garden/farm Animals For Better Nutrition

sevenzy

Just curious who has started to garden or raise chickens and or dairy for high quality nutrition? Any one considering getting some land to homestead or farm in future?

olive

I dream of buying a house with large plot of land to grow garden vegetables like sweet potato and to keep some chickens for eggs - fed only coconuts and veg ala @Travis.

OP
sevenzy

sevenzy

I dream of buying a house with large plot of land to grow garden vegetables like sweet potato and to keep some chickens for eggs - fed only coconuts and veg ala @Travis.

Yeah controling the diet of the chickens for optimum nutrition and low PUFA would be amazing. I have heard of people in city keeping chickens in a bird cage instead of a parrot for the eggs.

CrystalClear

I am fortunate enough to be in the situation to have a veggie garden, greenhouse and a few chickens for eggs. It's difficult when sick with hypothyroidism to do the upkeep. The chickens forage all day so that's easy and some vegetables grow like weeds here so that's easy too. We have some fruit trees and berry bushes that come in handy when the season is favourable to them. I make a lot of jelly/jello with berry juices.

OP
sevenzy

sevenzy

I am fortunate enough to be in the situation to have a veggie garden, greenhouse and a few chickens for eggs. It's difficult when sick with hypothyroidism to do the upkeep. The chickens forage all day so that's easy and some vegetables grow like weeds here so that's easy too. We have some fruit trees and berry bushes that come in handy when the season is favourable to them. I make a lot of jelly/jello with berry juices.

I can imagine with low energy production its hard to maintain things that dont mainly take care of themselves.

CrystalClear

When I first started Peating about 3 years ago sourcing clean, highly nutritious food was very time, energy and money intensive. I've had to drop my standards with food because I couldn't cope. Home veggies etc have helped. Even one little plot or pot of chard/silverbeet could help with magnesium needs for example.

OP
sevenzy

sevenzy

When I first started Peating about 3 years ago sourcing clean, highly nutritious food was very time, energy and money intensive. I've had to drop my standards with food because I couldn't cope. Home veggies etc have helped. Even one little plot or pot of chard/silverbeet could help with magnesium needs for example.

Have you seen improvement in energy level and temperature since atarting peating 3 years ago?

CrystalClear

Absolutely, yes. Heart rate increased in the first month and a half. It took about two years for temps to increase to something acceptable - 36.8 C on an average now. Energy creeps up in subtle increments but it also comes and goes. I've had good results with fixing hypoglycemia which means liver improvements.
What is your experience with growing your own food and following Peat recommendations?

OP
sevenzy

sevenzy

I'm about 3 weeks in to peating coming out of keto and fast food eating cycle. My waking temp is about 96.1 degrees and I dont get higher than 97.5 during the day. But I can be lower temp during the day depending on stress and blood sugar handling. I drive 17ft truck with 53ft trailer and unload with hand pallet jack so avoiding stress and excercise till I get my temps up isnt going to work so I'm not sure if I am making progress or not. Still experimenting with how much carbs to have. I planted about 30 fruit trees on my half acre suburb 3 years ago. I got 1 apple on 1 tree and a few berries but it will be another year or 2 before any real harvest starts. Got cucumbers, zuchinni, tomatoes planted but they havent started producing either. I'm considering getting chickens but have to build out a fenced in area and coop first.

akgrrrl

I'm about 3 weeks in to peating coming out of keto and fast food eating cycle. My waking temp is about 96.1 degrees and I dont get higher than 97.5 during the day. But I can be lower temp during the day depending on stress and blood sugar handling. I drive 17ft truck with 53ft trailer and unload with hand pallet jack so avoiding stress and excercise till I get my temps up isnt going to work so I'm not sure if I am making progress or not. Still experimenting with how much carbs to have. I planted about 30 fruit trees on my half acre suburb 3 years ago. I got 1 apple on 1 tree and a few berries but it will be another year or 2 before any real harvest starts. Got cucumbers, zuchinni, tomatoes planted but they havent started producing either. I'm considering getting chickens but have to build out a fenced in area and coop first.
Good on you! Another shortcut is go to your local farmers markets early before the chefs get all the best stuff. So worth it. I think there is enough evidence to support making high quality fruit and veggies a priority. Eating is the single most significant thing we do multiple times a day every day of our lives.

CrystalClear

I planted about 30 fruit trees on my half acre suburb 3 years ago. I got 1 apple on 1 tree and a few berries but it will be another year or 2 before any real harvest starts. Got cucumbers, zuchinni, tomatoes planted but they havent started producing either. I'm considering getting chickens but have to build out a fenced in area and coop first.
The great thing is you're still functioning. I got to the point of "hibernation" so to speak and was hardly able to function. But now I can prune a few fruit trees with help. Getting chickens will help with your trees if you can direct them to forage under them it will help a great deal with keeping bug and pest attacks down.

OP
sevenzy

sevenzy

The great thing is you're still functioning. I got to the point of "hibernation" so to speak and was hardly able to function. But now I can prune a few fruit trees with help. Getting chickens will help with your trees if you can direct them to forage under them it will help a great deal with keeping bug and pest attacks down.

Yeah I would like to get the chickens under the trees once I get them. I have some seriously crazy looking big beetles flying around lately ive never seen before as well as japanese beatles.

akgrrrl

Yeah I would like to get the chickens under the trees once I get them. I have some seriously crazy looking big beetles flying around lately ive never seen before as well as japanese beatles.
Those could be cicadas. Very special creatures been underground for 17yrs. Out now to propagate. Make a lot of noise in evening as I remember.