What's The Best Form Of Zinc?

johns74

I was surprised to not find this asked before.

Zinc pycolinate seems to be the most common.

Zinc glycinate is better absorbed than zinc sulphate, according to this paper.

OP
J

johns74

Amazoniac said:
Zinc oysterate?

You're right, but by putting it in the supplements board I seek a discussion of different forms of supplements.

sm1693

johns74 said:
It looks like they found that zinc gluconate increases zinc in the body less than placebo?

Comparative absorption of zinc picolinate, zinc citrate and zinc gluconate in humans

Many thanks for putting this up. Most RPers probably assume that gluconate is the best way to go if you don't get it from food (which seems quite difficult with our currently available foods). I think I've only heard RP mention the gluconate, but now, with the evidence, gluconate looks like the crappiest option. I have attempted to use zinc gluconate for the better part of a year with only poor results.

The coolest thing on the block without a doubt is the glycinate. It's so hot right now.

BingDing

Agreed, if I was buying now I'd get chelated zinc glycinate. I have Albion zinc arginate now, the zinc seems to be fine but the arginine is not desirable. Sigh.

Wilfrid

RP often recommends either Zinc sulfate or zinc gluconate.
FWIW, zinc is just above cadmium in the periodic table of elements which means that it is hard to separate cadmium from zinc. And cadmium is a well known carcinogenic compound.
A lot of zinc supp are contaminated with cadmium, even the so-called " purest " one......

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11474903

A water extract of zinc rich wheat-germ would probaly be better and safer ( Dr Ritter's wheat germ for ex.).

Parsifal

FWIW, zinc is just above cadmium in the periodic table of elements which means that it is hard to separate cadmium from zinc. And cadmium is a well known carcinogenic compound.
A lot of zinc supp are contaminated with cadmium, even the so-called " purest " one......

Cadmium in zinc-containing mineral supplements. - PubMed - NCBI

A water extract of zinc rich wheat-germ would probaly be better and safer ( Dr Ritter's wheat germ for ex.).

How would we know how much Zinc we get in the water each time?

Brian

Any reputable brand is fine, but food sources are probably enough when your metabolism is working correctly. They key to correct zinc utilization, like most things are energized cells that contain sufficient thyroid, progesterone, vitamin A and magnesium.

There is some evidence that high levels of magnesium in the body may help remove heavy metals such as lead and cadmium. So it may be sufficient just to focus on that instead of worrying about cadmium too much.

The influence of magnesium supplementation on concentrations of chosen bioelements and toxic metals in adult human hair. Magnesium and chosen bioel... - PubMed - NCBI

Last edited:
probably only 10% gets absorbed. The study says 1 microgram might be present. If you take a supp, 20mg of zinc is probably best, because the body doesn't absorb more than that, and you are getting additional cadmium. 50mg of zinc will bring you possibly 2 micrograms of cadmium.

But given absorption, if you absorb 10% of this, that is .2 micrograms per day. Times 365 days is 0.7 milligrams in a year. 10 years is 7 milligrams. Supposedly 50milligrams or more is toxic enough to be a problem in the body. You excrete it over decades.

So == try to avoid high cadmium supplements. And don't worry, it's rather minor. And, there is the magnesium study. Plus other studies that say high cadmium foods such as sunflower seeds or crab meat (not supplements) contain factors that inhibit cadmium absorption

I could be mistaken but I remember hearing zinc gluconate supplements have the lowest cadmium concentrations.

sm1693

After trying this, I get the impression that phytase comes out in the solution. It may make for some interesting pairings in this regard. I like this as a possible source of manganese as well. Thanks for the idea.

CoolTweetPete

Cadmium in zinc-containing mineral supplements. - PubMed - NCBI

Very interesting. Would this be an issue in a high zinc food like oysters?

magnesiumania

I use Caronyl Deans pico zinc and im happy with it. It bypasses all of the transporters and has no contaminants like cadmium.

Experienced

Has anyone tried Zinc Pidolate? If so tell me about the bioavailibility.

I know that magnesium pidolate is very high in bioavailibility 8.888% something like that