Magnesium Bicarbonate

Amazoniac

PureBulk's magnesium hydroxide lab analysis:
upload_2018-11-27_12-26-19.png

This community needs a beyond-'USP grade' product.

@Dan Wich @paymanz @yerrag

Attachments

• PB.COA. Magnesium Hydroxide. 93773.pdf
    81.3 KB · Views: 38

Jackrabbit

I’m getting a lot of benefit from pure bull supplements micronized magnesium carbonate mixed into oj or homemade lemonade. If I don’t mix it with the acidic medium it tastes like chalk in water and I don’t feel much better. But the carbonate also works as a bath additive, just about a teaspoon. My muscle pain went from an 8/10 to 1/10 overnight and I could take up to 3,000 mg this way before having loose stools. Also added some riboflavin to the mix for added benefit (in juice, not bath). I’m going to try the bicarbonate as well but I’m really happy with the carbonate . Does anyone know if mixing the carbonate with citrus juice creates magnesium ascorbate?

Glassy

Does anyone know if mixing the carbonate with citrus juice creates magnesium ascorbate?

It will form some magnesium ascorbate but the bulk of the acid in citrus juices is citric acid so most of the salt formed will be magnesium citrate. If you want more ascorbate add the magnesium carbonate to ascorbic acid in some water (will minimise the foaming and mess) then top up with juice.

Jackrabbit

It will form some magnesium ascorbate but the bulk of the acid in citrus juices is citric acid so most of the salt formed will be magnesium citrate. If you want more ascorbate add the magnesium carbonate to ascorbic acid in some water (will minimise the foaming and mess) then top up with juice.
Cool, thanks! So I’m thinking emergen-c plus mag carbonate plus water? Actually I just looked it up and they use 60mg mag carbonate in it already so I would just be adding to that. Sounds like a good flu season cocktail!

ddjd

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7188#p89405

For those who cannot tolerate much magnesium bicarbonate (e.g. Waller Water), one can use magnesium acetate transdermally (rub thick liquid onto skin) to bypass the gut and the diarrhea. Magnesium acetate metabolizes into magnesium bicarbonate. That way, you can have effective high dose magnesium bicarbonate supplementation without the diarrhea.
--ghg
didnt haidut create magnoil for the very reason that he couldnt find a product effective enough for skin absorption?

J

jb116

would regular b6 or b6p5p work better?
I think some individuals with impaired digestion actually might fair better with the non-p5p version because it takes energy to cleave off the phosphate of p5p. You could test it for yourself to see if that's the case for you since it's fairly cheap to do.

Inaut

After you make magnesium bicarbonate, can you re-add the co2 to make it fizzy again?

Dave Clark

After you make magnesium bicarbonate, can you re-add the co2 to make it fizzy again?
Can't see why not. I make Mg water, and often add carbonated water and lime to it, plus I have one of those machine that carbonates your water, which I do to it as well. I would think doing this only adds to the Co2 benefits.

Dave Clark

In the states you can get magnesium hydroxide from PureBulk or Bulk Supplements on-line. I am able to get generic branded MofM from my local pharmacy that has no other ingredients, plus I see Philips still has the same.

J

jb116

Also if you have a dollar general near by, you can find some gems there. They have a clean MoM with just purified water as the inactive. They also have an aspirin with a bit of corn starch as a binder, nothing else.

Waynish

I wonder if the lactate that got milk of magnesia banned in UK could be in powdered form too... Seems like lactate would only occur in the liquid form.

Amazoniac

I wonder if the lactate that got milk of magnesia banned in UK could be in powdered form too... Seems like lactate would only occur in the liquid form.
Not that it's a good sign, but I doubt that the amount is a reason to worry.

- Lactic Acid: No Longer an Inert and End-Product of Glycolysis

"In an average adult, ~1,500 mM of lactic acid enters circulation daily from muscle (25%), skin (25%), brain (25%), red blood cells (20%), and intestine (10%). The lactic acid [pKa 3.86, >99% dissociates to lactate and proton (H+) at pH of 7.35–7.45 (54)] is cleared predominantly by the liver via gluconeogenesis (Cori cycle) and ATP production (oxidative phosphorylation, Krebs cycle) (Table 1). The hepatic uptake of lactate can increase by >10-fold during exercise (1, 2, 18). Cardiac myocytes also take up and oxidize lactate as fuel (149, 150). Lactate contributes to the cardiac energy provision by ~10–15% at rest (52, 106) and ~30% during moderate-intensity exercise (52)."​

If the figures aren't accurate (more than 100 g), it can't be a mistake that's gross enough to make the content of the product concerning.

- Greek Yogurt And Lactic Acid (starting point and type)

Postscript: I don't know what people are using, but @healthnatura and @LifeGivingStore could start selling different forms.

Last edited:

Yure

Hi again
I've being drinking this formula without diarrhea or any negatives. How could we measure Mg levels in this? Is the Magnessium hydroxide amount in mg in milk of magnesia added the same available Magnessium in the final liquid?
I would like to know how much magnesium I'm getting drinking this...

Milk of magnesia usually is as solution of 8% (w/v) Magnesium Hydroxide. We know that 41.67%wt. of Mg(OH)2 is Mg.

My rat uses 2 tablespoons (30 mL) of MoM in 1 L of cold distilled carbonated water. (30 mL * 0.08 mg/mL * 0.4167 mg/mg) = 1 g of elemental Magnesium in 1 L.

vulture

Milk of magnesia usually is as solution of 8% (w/v) Magnesium Hydroxide. We know that 41.67%wt. of Mg(OH)2 is Mg.

My rat uses 2 tablespoons (30 mL) of MoM in 1 L of cold distilled carbonated water. (30 mL * 0.08 mg/mL * 0.4167 mg/mg) = 1 g of elemental Magnesium in 1 L.
Great! Thanks

Just made it 4 days ago. Drank it for 3 days. My general stiffness increased and I also think some kind of calcification was occurring as well. Pain under my ribcage, chest, back was immense [Probably blood vessels under pressure] . I don't know the mechanism but I think I must have some renal insufficiency and general poor blood flow which these "artificially made" minerals seems to exacerbate. I had similar experiences with potassium chloride years ago.

When I drink for example celery juice or cucumber juice, or water from a cooked leafy greens while increasing my fruit intake I don't get these problems which suggest it's not only the fact that my body cannot handle the mineral volume/content but the quality of it.

I would only try to make MAG BICARB one more time with less amount of magnesium hydroxide [it was an overflown teaspoon of it in 1,8L of water - which apparently is not much.]
But I don't think there is any point to it at all. My intuition says "stay away".
It's better to focus on natural ways I can get my magnesium in.

The sad thing was that I was waiting for magnesium hydroxide to arrive for over a month while paying 89$ for the shipping. I was very hopeful it could help me.
I bought it in bulk.
But my mind is at ease knowing that I reaped no benefits at least and that no one can sell me the "magnesium bicarbonate" story again.

OP
Jib

Jib

Just made it 4 days ago. Drank it for 3 days. My general stiffness increased and I also think some kind of calcification was occurring as well. Pain under my ribcage, chest, back was immense [Probably blood vessels under pressure] . I don't know the mechanism but I think I must have some renal insufficiency and general poor blood flow which these "artificially made" minerals seems to exacerbate. I had similar experiences with potassium chloride years ago.

When I drink for example celery juice or cucumber juice, or water from a cooked leafy greens while increasing my fruit intake I don't get these problems which suggest it's not only the fact that my body cannot handle the mineral volume/content but the quality of it.

I would only try to make MAG BICARB one more time with less amount of magnesium hydroxide [it was an overflown teaspoon of it in 1,8L of water - which apparently is not much.]
But I don't think there is any point to it at all. My intuition says "stay away".
It's better to focus on natural ways I can get my magnesium in.

The sad thing was that I was waiting for magnesium hydroxide to arrive for over a month while paying 89$ for the shipping. I was very hopeful it could help me.
I bought it in bulk.
But my mind is at ease knowing that I reaped no benefits at least and that no one can sell me the "magnesium bicarbonate" story again.
I forgot I even made this thread. Haven't used supplemental magnesium in a very long time.

Big fan of celery juice these days. Agreed. Celery juice in particular is very powerful stuff, and immediately makes me feel great.

yerrag

I don't know if you're mixing in the right proportion, but if you're very imprecise and you're guessing, it's likely that you're drinking a lot of magnesium hydroxide instead of magnesium bicarbonate. I'm also assuming that chemistry and stoichiometry is something up your alley, so I'll just share with you how I do my mag carb.

Just so you know, I use my own DIY sodastream machine, so I can keep adding more CO2 and shaking the PET bottle, until I get a fairly transparent liquid. Often, some white precipitate or powder would just stay on despite how much shaking. That white stuff will settle eventually. I don't drink that white stuff, which is not magnesium bicarbonate for sure.

What I have:

2 liter soda (has to be soda because it can take the pressure) PET bottle
A carbonator, which is what is used to cap the bottle, and which has a spring mechanism to allow CO2 to fill the PET bottle (just google for more detail)
a DIY sodastream-like contraption to fill the PET bottle with pressurized CO2

1400 ml of water
1.012 g of magnesium hydroxide

Put the water into the PET bottle, add the magnesium hydroxide.
Put the bottle in the freezer and give it time to reach near freezing temperature.

Get the chilled bottle and replace the standard PET bottle cap with the carbonator cap, but don't tighten yet.
Squeeze the bottle so that the water level rises to the top of the bottle, then tighten very tightly with your hand, with a dry cloth to allow a tighter turn. This will ensure no air gets in.
Then push the carbonator cap against the DIY sodastream contraption, and this will allow the PET bottle to let in pressurized CO2.

Shake strongly and after some time, you will see the bottle collapse inward as the CO2 reacts to form magnesium bicarbonate.
If the water is cloudy, it means there is plenty mag hydroxide left. Refill the bottle with CO2 and repeat shaking.
Repeat refilling and shaking until the water clears. If some stubborn white particles remain, you may stop.

I usually would do this 4x, and sometimes I would stop in between to let the bottle chill again as the colder the water, the more quickly mag bicarb is produced.

In effect, I would have produced 1400 ml of magbicarb water with a concentration of 600mg elemental magnesium per 200 ml of water. This would be a week supply of 600mg elemental magnesium taken daily along with plenty of bicarbonate. If your acid base balance is acidic and you need a therapeutic amount of magnesium to increase your magnesium stores , it is helpful to take it. But if you have alkaline or normal acid base balance, it is not recommended. You can still take other forms of magnesium such as mag bicarbonate if you are needing to increase your magnesium stores.

However, if you're using soda water, you may not be able to use as much mag hydroxide per volume of water, as you don't get to refill with CO2 after the CO2 in the soda water is used up.

As I had told you before, you have to slowly add the mag hydroxide to determine the right amount suitable. It looks like you missed doing that.

Since no one is recommending taking mag hydroxide, and you may be doing that, the problem may not be with magnesium bicarbonate.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals