What Explains Extreme Body Hair/beard But MPB?

Jack Earth

I've seen this a lot in middle eastern cultures where the body hair is like a thick fur coat and the thickest facial hair possible... but serious mpb on the top.
What explains this form of hair loss where hair is thriving in higher than average amounts everywhere except the top of the head?

boris

For me it looks like: in stress and hypothyroidism things like brain function are secondary (see alzheimers) and the organism tries to keep the basic bodily functions warm instead of the brain, as to concentrate on basic survival. Therefore the extreme hairgrowth on the body and loss of hair on the head.

Stress like we experience today, in nature that would be a state of extreme emergency, something like a food shortage. „Animalistic“ traits like aggression or hibernation from estrogen/serotonin could benefit your chance of survival. I think it‘s a similar mechanism.

OP
J

Jack Earth

For me it looks like: in stress and hypothyroidism things like brain function are secondary (see alzheimers) and the organism tries to keep the basic bodily functions warm instead of the brain, as to concentrate on basic survival. Therefore the extreme hairgrowth on the body and loss of hair on the head.

Stress like we experience today, in nature that would be a state of extreme emergency, something like a food shortage. „Animalistic“ traits like aggression or hibernation from estrogen/serotonin could benefit your chance of survival. I think it‘s a similar mechanism.

so maybe some cultures have diets that lead to hypothyroidism which is why you see it more in some and not others. for example you wont see that in asian men.

boris

I think so. Middle east = lots of legumes and badly prepared grains and nowadays high PUFA, too.

I have some family members from the middle east. The men have thick coat on chest and back like you described. Mostly balding, but not everyone. Women periorbital edema and goiters.

I rapidly started developing hair on my shoulders and my back (stopped since peating) when my health was declining accompanied by a receding hairline.

Also anorexic persons (even women) are known to develop fluffy hair on their bodies. Probably to combat heat loss too.

Last edited:

BearWithMe

Extreme body hair, thick beard and MPB are all signs of high testosterone / DHT.

boris

Extreme body hair, thick beard and MPB are all signs of high testosterone / DHT.
The male pattern baldness and testosterone connection is made by the logic that men have more testosterone than women. There is no proof of testosterone causing it.

Extreme body hair and MPB are more closely correlated with estrogen.

ExCarniv

I lost my hair in my 20s while being vegan (high soy, high pufa, lots of gluten diet) and got lots of body hair.

No one on my family is bald or have body hair, smh.

BearWithMe

The male pattern baldness and testosterone connection is made by the logic that men have more testosterone than women. There is no proof of testosterone causing it.

Extreme body hair and MPB are more closely correlated with estrogen.
I haven't said high testosterone is CAUSING MPB.

Aymen

@boris @JanP , maybe when shaving the body hair we will know if it's high estrogen it will not grow but if it's high T / DHT it will grow?
fast beard growth is a good sign of high DHT.

ExCarniv

I'm wondering if I can lose my body hair thru diet and supplements.

MPB is irreversible in my case at this point.

Jing

For personal experience, I think this is true: high soy/pufa diet, overweight, man boobs, hairy body, MPB, high estrogen.
I didn't start getting hairy body untill I used testosterone with ai

boris

@Jing it depends on the individuals status. Aromatase will turn testosterone into more estrogen.

Ron J

@Jing it depends on the individuals status. Aromatase will turn testosterone into more estrogen.
He said with "ai"(I think by that he means aromatase inhibitor).
But what if fat men get a hairy body due to an increase of DHT by trying to maintain homeostasis. I've been wondering(and it has been mentioned before) if being lean and consuming certain foods that decrease testosterone/DHT may in the long run increase androgens.

I noticed this in some relatives and I haven't seen anything good associated with these traits (i.e., hairy bodies and/or balding).

Relatives I've seen with these traits have died younger than average from either cancer, CVD, etc. I wouldn't associate these outcomes only because the hair or lack thereof, but I see a link. I also notice some guys start getting hairier and/or more coarse hair as they age -- the balding in some men progresses more as they age too.

I wouldn't be inclined to think these growth patterns are good, although I can't say for sure what causes them, be it genes and environment/epigenetics or even health status based on diet, stresses, etc. Some guys just are bald and hairy seemingly no matter the environment or diet, while others eat garbage and have full heads of hair and no back or coarse hairs all over.

I don't even know why any gene -- assuming there is one or so -- would result in balding and/or coarse hair because it seems unnecessary/anti-adaptive in ways much like arguing there is any "cancer gene" or "bad heart gene" or etc.

Back hair or extra coarse hair growth all over does seem more common with balding, although not always. Probably if you can find out what can strongly influence one you can the other since they occur together so often.

Last edited: