Activated Charcoal Stopped Bowel Movements. Completely

Uncaged

After hearing about using 30g activated charcoal cleanses to remove problematic bacteria from the intestines, I decided to give it a go. I found I could only take down about 15-20g in a sitting, so I would do an additional dose later in the day on an empty stomach. I did this for a week straight.

At first, I noticed a decrease in daily digestive upset, an increase in appetite, and less brain fog. However, this was accompanied by insatiable thirst, despite consuming a gallon of assorted beverages throughout the day (apple, orange, milk, water), along with 32oz of water to get the charcoal down. I had a single bowel movement on day 5 of this that consisted of a single smallish hard stool that was so hard it literally caused bleeding after passing.

Fast forward today it has been over a week since I've had a bowel movement, aside from a couple pebbles here and there. I've been stuffing in the food, especially due to the Thanksgiving holiday. I feel quite a bit of pressure on my diaphragm, my spine, and throughout my abdomen. I'm feeling really out of it, severe headache, etx

I've taken 600mg of aged cascara sagrada (health natura) consumed as a hot tea, the past 3 mornings. Also a higher dose magnesium malate which usually causes diarrhea. Still no movement. Any recommendations what I should try next?

Last edited:

theLaw

Any recommendations what I should try next?

Carrots are probably the safest route, or you could just try a laxative.

AC can be very hard on the stomach, so probably best in small doses and with fat if possible.

ddjd

anything that reduces serotonin will reduce gut motility

The safest way to get bowels moving again is to take large amounts of vitamin C every hour. You can neutralize it with baking soda to protect her stomach. In my experience, by 20 g or so, you’re in the bathroom. And it loosens stool enough so that you’re not constipated at all, quite the contrary.

After hearing about using 30g activated charcoal cleanses to remove problematic bacteria from the intestines, I decided to give it a go. I found I could only take down about 15-20g in a sitting, so I would do an additional dose later in the day on an empty stomach. I did this for a week straight.

At first, I noticed a decrease in daily digestive upset, an increase in appetite, and less brain fog. However, this was accompanied by insatiable thirst, despite consuming a gallon of assorted beverages throughout the day (apple, orange, milk, water), along with 32oz of water to get the charcoal down. I had a single bowel movement on day 5 of this that consisted of a single smallish hard stool that was so hard it literally caused bleeding after passing.

Fast forward today it has been over a week since I've had a bowel movement, aside from a couple pebbles here and there. I've been stuffing in the food, especially due to the Thanksgiving holiday. I feel quite a bit of pressure on my diaphragm, my spine, and throughout my abdomen. I'm feeling really out of it, severe headache, etx

I've taken 600mg of aged cascara sagrada (health natura) consumed as a hot tea, the past 3 mornings. Also a higher dose magnesium malate which usually causes diarrhea. Still no movement. Any recommendations what I should try next?
I would try to not eat any solid food, and do a juice fast. Even dairy may cause problems due to the constipation. Avoiding protein and focusing on fiber- less fruit juice, as well as honey and white sugar, is much safer I think. They will provide easy-to absorb calories to provide your gut with energy to deal with the constipation. After you have a good bowel movement, then you can go back to your normal diet.

Do you react well to coconut oil? You could try eating a bunch of it all in one sitting. It may cause diarrhea and the fat may help to make things smoother in your gut.

I would avoid any starch, especially dry ones.

Cascara and vitamin C, as ecstatichamster suggested, can help.

Taking a lot of magnesium citrate( which Peat doesn't recommend, but it's for a short time) also may cause a bowel movement.

ilhanxx

You can make your own home made yoghurt.I had negative effects from activated charcoal, cascara or other laxatives in time. Oat bran and wheat bran are good choice, they have a lot of fiber. Wheat bran contain betain.

Elize

Do a coffee or Apple cider vinegar enema and have a probiotic supplement or yoghurt to add Flora.

Angel45

Once I took 2 spoons of caster oil and cleaned out my intestines so much it was horrible. It made me so dehydrated too. But it all else fails you can always try good ol caster oil

boris

@Uncaged how did it go? I hope you were able to get it out by now.

Anything in particular that helped?

OP
U

Uncaged

@Uncaged how did it go? I hope you were able to get it out by now.

Anything in particular that helped?

Thanks for checking in. I ended up using a tsp of Epsom salt. It got things moving, unfortunately not until the next morning (keeping me up all night with cramping) and I wasn't able to go to work.

Despite this helping to move things along, I still feel like not everything was cleared. Even with the Epsom salt things were pretty solid and hard to pass.

tara

I've had constipation once from AC - got away from me to uncomfortable before I realised it.
If you use AC again, I'd suggest a smaller amount and taking cascara sagrada soon after till you figure out what can work for you.
Also second vit-C and Mg as possible ways to help keep things moving.
If you are not yet clear, one or more of those may help sort out the after-effects. But go easy - overdoing it in the other direction can also be uncomfortable and inconvenient.

Last edited:

lvysaur

At first, I noticed a decrease in daily digestive upset, an increase in appetite, and less brain fog. However, this was accompanied by insatiable thirst, despite consuming a gallon of assorted beverages throughout the day
Interestingly this was identical to my amoxicillin experience. Only detail is that my thirst wasn't quite insatiable, but I drank more water and I didn't like salt. Also I pooped every 3rd day so it was quite manageable. But overall these are very similar symptoms.

@TheBeard and @gately might find this of interest

@Uncaged did you ever take amoxicillin or ox bile? Ox bile gave me very similar effects but much milder and shorter lived than amoxi.

T

TheBeard

Interestingly this was identical to my amoxicillin experience. Only detail is that my thirst wasn't quite insatiable, but I drank more water and I didn't like salt. Also I pooped every 3rd day so it was quite manageable. But overall these are very similar symptoms.

@TheBeard and @gately might find this of interest

@Uncaged did you ever take amoxicillin or ox bile? Ox bile gave me very similar effects but much milder and shorter lived than amoxi.

I ordered Charcoal one week ago, will try it for the first time in my life when it arrives.

ilhanxx

Activated charcoal must be used 4 hour before/after meal. In my experience the best time is to take in the morning.

Elize

Have you tried vagus nerve stimulation for constipation yet? No medication needed.

T

TheBeard

Activated charcoal must be used 4 hour before/after meal. In my experience the best time is to take in the morning.

Yes, that's my plan.

First thing in the morning then late afternoon.
You mix it with water?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals