Female Corner

somuch4food

Glad you made this thread because their doesn't seem to be a lot of Peatatarian women for some reason. But from what I've researched, Peat's information seems to confirm what I have studied independently. That said, I do think there needs to be a slightly different approach when it comes to women doing the "Peat way" as opposed to men.

What do you recommend as a different approach for women?

Yes, I’ve noticed that too. I’m not exactly sure why that is but I agree wholeheartedly.

It might have to do with having a harder time coming around to eating more and eating more sugar since women generally are more into "healthy eating" and dieting.

OP
Blossom

Blossom

Forum Supporter
@somuch4food, I’ve wondered if that could be part of it too. I’ve also wondered if our fluctuations in hormones could make it more difficult.

Aymen

It might have to do with having a harder time coming around to eating more and eating more sugar since women generally are more into "healthy eating" and dieting.
when did you see women are into healthy eating and dieting in general?
i take the train and metro every day and during the free time most men and women are running to go eat a fast food especially woman, do you live in europe?

Hildy

What do you recommend as a different approach for women?

Good question! Like Blossom said, I think it has to do with the hormonal fluctuations that women have. Seems it's harder for women to get balance on these things due to the many changes our bodies go thru like child bearing , menopause etc. I think our bodies are more sensitive to supplements as well. That's just my opinion- I could be wrong but I know I'm really sensitive to supplements. However recently I seem to be doing great with my overall health. But now that I am in the menopausal season of life I'm just having a hard time losing these 20 lbs I've gained. I lose 10 and then gain back 10 But I've read this is due to the hormones - of course! Trying to find ways to retrain my thinking because all the doctors push bio identical hormones and I don't want to go that route. Or just exercize more and eat less! Right

OP
Blossom

Blossom

Forum Supporter
But now that I am in the menopausal season of life
Yes, living it gives a whole new meaning to the popular catch phrase “The Change”!

somuch4food

when did you see women are into healthy eating and dieting in general?
i take the train and metro every day and during the free time most men and women are running to go eat a fast food especially woman, do you live in europe?

Those you are describing wouldn't wind out on a site like this one. You must be geared towards improving your health to stumble here. Most people don't give food a second as you say, but women that are into health improvement and dieting might have a harder time getting around eating disorders created by mainstream media than health oriented men. Women tend to be more affected by fears of weight gain and are generally more wary of carbs and eating a lot of calories.

Hildy

Yes, living it gives a whole new meaning to the popular catch phrase “The Change”!
It used to be I could eat a lot more of the " bad stuff" and not gain anything or if I did gain a few lbs I could lose it in a matter of days.......those were the days! But now it seems every calorie wants to stick to you and I suspect it's due to those hormonal changes...... And probably the estrogen dominance since we don't produce as much progesterone as we get older.

somuch4food

I hear you on hormonal changes. I'm currently 9 months pregnant.

Those hormonal changes certainly make it more difficult to effectively pinpoint the cause and effect of any intervention. I was starting to lose my mind trying to analyze everything. I'm dialing back on interventions at the moment, taking a break so to speak.

What I've found works the best is multiple trials. If you get the same effect each time you introduce a new food, supplement or habit, then you can effectively isolate the reaction.

Aymen

Women tend to be more affected by fears of weight gain and are generally more wary of carbs and eating a lot of calories.
that's right.
It used to be I could eat a lot more of the " bad stuff" and not gain anything or if I did gain a few lbs I could lose it in a matter of days.......those were the days! But now it seems every calorie wants to stick to you and I suspect it's due to those hormonal changes...... And probably the estrogen dominance since we don't produce as much progesterone as we get older.
that's a sign of low metabolism, there is a good thread you may follow: Getting Ripped With Dr Peat

Jennifer

Hi @Blossom! :wave: You've made your own skincare products before, right? Do you happen to have a favorite body polish recipe you can share? I have coconut oil, cocoa butter, exfoliators (raw sugar, sea salt, coffee granules) and essential oils (vanilla, rose, jasmine, sweet orange), but I'm not sure if I need to buy an emulsifier, too?

Last edited:
OP
Blossom

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Hi @Blossom! :wave: You've made your own skincare products before, right? Do you happen to have a favorite body polish recipe you can share? I have coconut oil, cocoa butter, exfoliators (raw sugar, sea salt, coffee granules) and essential oils (vanilla, rose, jasmine, sweet orange), but I'm not sure if I need to buy an emulsifier, too?
Hi @Jennifer! I’ve never used an emulsifier except borax in an attempt to make lotion years ago. I tend to like sugar and coconut oil for body exfoliating because salt can burn if there are any small cuts, wounds or abrasions on the skin. For facial exfoliating I like baking soda and distilled water. I just make these items right before use. It’s been years since I’ve made anything in bulk although I’d like to get back to doing that in the near future.
I don’t have any recipes on hand but I have a favorite book with tons of recipes that you might enjoy.

https://www.stephanietourles.com/organicbodycarerecipes

Jennifer

Hi @Jennifer! I’ve never used an emulsifier except borax in an attempt to make lotion years ago. I tend to like sugar and coconut oil for body exfoliating because salt can burn if there are any small cuts, wounds or abrasions on the skin. For facial exfoliating I like baking soda and distilled water. I just make these items right before use. It’s been years since I’ve made anything in bulk although I’d like to get back to doing that in the near future.
I don’t have any recipes on hand but I have a favorite book with tons of recipes that you might enjoy.

Ooh...perfect! Thank you for the book link! And thank you for warning me about the salt. I'm going to omit the coffee too since it seems it's used mainly for reducing cellulite. I also use baking soda as a facial scrub. I combine it with honey. I like the coconut oil based products from Skinny & Co., but I can make them for far less and with the addition of certain essential oils/absolutes I like for their therapeutic benefits and pretty scent.

somuch4food

I've ordered the book. Thanks for the suggestion.

For the first time in my life I'm into skin care since I'm noticing health benefits beyond the skin with a product I bought for stretchmarks.

OP
Blossom

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I've ordered the book. Thanks for the suggestion.

For the first time in my life I'm into skin care since I'm noticing health benefits beyond the skin with a product I bought for stretchmarks.
That’s fantastic. What are you doing for stretch marks and what are the other benefits if I may ask?

somuch4food

That’s fantastic. What are you doing for stretch marks and what are the other benefits if I may ask?

I bought Palmer's cocoa butter product for stretch marks. It's too early for results, but I get a nice warm feeling when I put it on. A nice vibe I didn't have when using other creams for my dry hands, most of which actually irritated my skin when applied.

OP
Blossom

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I bought Palmer's cocoa butter product for stretch marks. It's too early for results, but I get a nice warm feeling when I put it on. A nice vibe I didn't have when using other creams for my dry hands, most of which actually irritated my skin when applied.
Awesome!
Thank you.

YamnayaMommy

I hadn't read that article yet. Good info.

It just seems like nuts would be something that our bodies should be able to handle normally, since our ancestors use to forage for nuts. I would think the surounding compounds found in a whole foods that protect its PUFA from oxidation, such as vitamin E and other phytonutrients, would be the type of compounds we should ingest for PUFA detox. (I'd prefer not to supplement with E, as synthetic E has had its issues.)

And then of course the question is, how much of that vitamin E would be available for our body's PUFA stores, if its already in use managing the nut's PUFA stores?

has RP addressed the logical problem that comes about from paleo premise that if our ancestors survived eating x food, we should eat it if we want to thrive?

and the corollary argument that if they didn’t eat x food (like strained fruit juice or refined sugar), it must be harmful?

all the evolutionary history tells is that what we can eat and live long enough to reproduce

it doesn’t tell us what we can eat to live optimally

And just because a food is evolutionarily novel doesn’t mean it can’t be optimal. Every food or medicine was, at some point, evolutionarily novel.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals