So. Do You Guys Just Never Eat Out?

paulwalkerrip

I've always known that eating food away from home was not ideal. In the past I would try to pick something that seemed healthy and shrug it off. Now that I've become aware of the dangers of PUFAs, I seriously cannot eat outside without feeling like I'm compromising my health.

That said - sooooo much of social life involves getting food with others. Since beginning grad school I've been eating meals outside the home at least twice a week and I feel like it's taken a toll.

How much does taking Vitamin E mitigate the damage?

Sativa

sooooo much of social life involves getting food with others.
Speak for yourself. I prefer my own company. I prefer eating in peace without the annoyance of disturbances or having to engage in any conversation, leaving me to focus on myself and eating my food.
(i'm self-employed,run my own life schedule)
So, I don't ever eat out since there's no need...
If it's good quality PURE vitamin E (eg d-alpha tocopherol, or mixed tocopherols) and free from undesirable vegetable oils, then taking it every morning with food should be good protection for those mitochondria etc.

Personally, I don't think sacrificing my well-being & digestion for the sake of some socializing whilst eating substandard food is worth it. Then again, I have high personal standards...

Cameron

400 iu is enough to displace 10’s of grams of pufa. Don’t be obsessed with pufa just mindful. Eat most your calories with very safe saturated metabolic foods like milk cheese fruit honey ruminant animal meat seafood coconut oil butter coffee. Then once or twice a week go live life and just take vitamin e before and after with an aspirin to displace excess pufa you may have had. Being aware is key being obsessed will be the death of your life.

Noodlz2

I usually ask waiters if they can cook eggs/fry things in butter. Burgers are usually just cooked on their own and not in any fat. I'll also suggest restaurants where it's fairly reasonable to assume they don't use much oil, like BBQs. Things like lengua and cabeza at taco shops are generally slow cooked.

Cameron

Speak for yourself. I prefer my own company. I prefer eating in peace without the annoyance of disturbances or having to engage in any conversation, leaving me to focus on myself and eating my food.

If it's good quality PURE vitamin E (eg d-alpha tocopherol, or mixed tocopherols) and free from undesirable vegetable oils, then taking it every morning with food should be good protection for those mitochondria etc.

Personally, I don't think sacrificing my well-being & digestion for the sake of some socializing whilst eating substandard food is worth it. Then again, I have high personal standards...
I agree in a lot of ways especially with bull**** partying nasty commercial food, but sometimes having the ability to go have a cheeseburger that’s high quality local meat, but maybe not prepared perfectly on a date, is a great thing to be able to let go and do. So much we can’t control like Edcs emf pesticides. It’s good to be extremely consistent and have control but to go enjoy a meal that’s not “ideal” with some tools like E and aspirin can really keep ones metabolism and mentality.

Gone Peating

I'm extremely unsatisfied any time I leave a restaurant usually. Unless you go to a truly top quality one like Ruth Chris or something like that, I can usually get better meat at grocery stores than any I find in a restaurant.

Cameron

I usually ask waiters if they can cook eggs/fry things in butter. Burgers are usually just cooked on their own and not in any fat. I'll also suggest restaurants where it's fairly reasonable to assume they don't use much oil, like BBQs. Things like lengua and cabeza at taco shops are generally slow cooked.
Yeah many places you can actually get a totally fine meal. Most people just get fried chips or commercial dressings where the pufa content is high and there meal itself is void of nutrient density and saturated fat. Do this ever meal everyday for years and there’s a problem. Once in a while take a little vitamin e some coconut oil and an aspirin and enjoy the occasion.

theLaw

I've always known that eating food away from home was not ideal. In the past I would try to pick something that seemed healthy and shrug it off. Now that I've become aware of the dangers of PUFAs, I seriously cannot eat outside without feeling like I'm compromising my health.

That said - sooooo much of social life involves getting food with others. Since beginning grad school I've been eating meals outside the home at least twice a week and I feel like it's taken a toll.

Some correspondence with Haidut:

I searched through your posts, but couldn't find how much Vitamin E that you take before eating out (non-Peat).

How much would you recommend? (I use Tocovit)

I think 100 IU before going out is probably enough. If it happens on a regular basis, 200 IU twice a week (Mon, Thu) should be enough.

On high-dose Vitamin E:

Such high doses of vitamin E deplete vitamin K and can lead to bleeding issues. If you ask Ray I am sure he will say the same and whenever people have asked him about high dose vitamin E supplementing he has repeatedly said it is not something he would advise doing and now recommends taking 400IU - 600 IU weekly as being enough to protect from PUFA. So, even the 400 IU in TocoVit may be too much on a daily basis unless a person has a really high PUFA load in their tissues.

Also, here are a few links that present a much more practical approach to moving into Peat's ideas:

Abdominal Fat Is A Phase Folliwing The End Of Calorie Restriction
Fat Is An Organ
Why It Might Be Better To Temporarily Gain Weight After Diet Improvement

I don't prefer to eat out much currently.

Not against it entirely, but doesn't seem worth the gamble as of now.

I don't even really like eating at others' houses since there is a good chance of high PUFA in everything. Even at home there is still PUFA I'd have been scarfing down back in the day. On the flip side, if anything, some eating out events could actually be better than home cooked PUFAs/muscle meats/endless starches in some situations.

But I'd prefer no fast food at all especially unless a place can be found that doesn't have everything PUFA drenched.

I mean the only exceptions I deliberately make would be like Thanksgiving coming up or holidays/special events where I'll eat more freely with PUFAs and such.

Last edited:

Taotatoes

I've worked in the restaurant industry for a long time... And lost my appetite for most restaurants (mostly due to lack of concern for food safety and subpar ingredients being passed off for prices I deem unworthy). I still order pizza time to time and go for the occasional sushi or Indian outings, but rarely do western, Chinese or fast food (but I'm considered a food snob by most people). The things I've seen... Oh my... Can't help but wonder while eating out if I'll die if food poisoning later. Lol.

Cameron

Making tasty meals homemade is what’s up. Pizza burgers Greek style food Chinese whatever. You can get all the flavors just using the right ingredients and no pufa. The creativity with cooking and making food for a date is a very positive thing as well. Time to time going out having a whiskey and nice meal at a high end restaurant is still good and can be done no doubt.

Jsaute21

400 iu is enough to displace 10’s of grams of pufa. Don’t be obsessed with pufa just mindful. Eat most your calories with very safe saturated metabolic foods like milk cheese fruit honey ruminant animal meat seafood coconut oil butter coffee. Then once or twice a week go live life and just take vitamin e before and after with an aspirin to displace excess pufa you may have had. Being aware is key being obsessed will be the death of your life.

Hard to say it better than this.

opethfeldt

Having a good social life is just as important as your diet for health. If not more important. I wouldn't recommend sacrificing dinners out with your family or friends just because you follow a specific diet. It's never good to take things to extremes anyway. I wouldn't make it a habit but I would just eat out, take the vitamin E and not worry about it.

gabys225

Also, you could host. Have friends come over, make them healthy delicious food, regardless of their inclination for your peat-minded ways of eating. It brings everyone together in a way that's much more intimate than a restaurant.

If one out of ten outings is your friends bringing food over and you cooking it for them, it adds up in the long run, and makes the unavoidable eating out days less stressful.

akgrrrl

Right on. Me too. Solitude is precious these days.

belcanto

My new favorite way to have restaurant eggs is poached! Just ask for an extra bowl to drain the excess water into.

Runenight201

I just ate out with my co-workers and had a beer while everyone else ate. When people asked why I wasn’t eating I simply stated my stomach couldn’t handle anything heavy (which was true). I felt great heading home. You could do the same with coffee, milk, sugar, or even a dessert, if wanting just some fatty sugar.

One dude even looked at me with greater respect. It shows great bodily awareness to know what your body needs and only eat accordingly. Having confidence and assurance in what you’re doing and how you act will secure your position even more. Meekly stating you’re not hungry or what not will have people think that you’re really starving yourself, which will then lead to all sorts of either judgements or un-wanted dietary talks.

schultz

I have children so I almost never eat out. If I do I usually get something like oysters or a steak and baked potato or even liver. Breakfast is easy - poached eggs and orange juice, maybe fruit or a cheese platter. Fancy restaurants usually have cheese on the menu.

You could do the same with coffee, milk, sugar, or even a dessert, if wanting just some fatty sugar.

I pretty much always get coffee when I am out.