Edema Or Increased Urination With Excessive Salt

Simonsays

I upped my salt intake significantly in the last few months, but i think this has caused my missed heartbeats, by way of lowering aldosterone too much. I didnt suffer from excessive urination or dehydration though.

Has anyone else had this experience??

Diokine

I think salt is helpful to people who are hypothyroid and are losing minerals from decreased energy/structure. These people are also estrogen dominant and estrogen causes the cell swelling/edema which is a chaotic and mineral wasting state. Sodium powerfully regulates the water and reduces the swelling, but in people who don't need it, it will make you super thirsty. Our craving for water and salt are the two most ancient and most important cravings we have, so it's important to listen to them and not to do anything too extreme based on theories. Personally I don't use baking soda because sodium chloride is much more pH neutral.

This is just a theory, but perhaps sodium can cause swelling in people with high calcium and low potassium/magnesium because that imbalance might make it more difficult to get the sodium and calcium out of the cell.

+1. The influence of estrogen as a longer-term cellular restructuring agent is towards that of increased intracellular calcium and water retention. Estrogen is made in the peripheral tissues under stress, typically from prolonged impaired respiration by histamine and nitric oxide. This can be explained almost completely by lack of CO2 production or decreased CO2 retention. Lack of magnesium, problems with copper metabolism, PUFA, whatever prevents the cell from generating and retaining adequate CO2 will lead to increased tendency towards greater stress.

One important function of carbon dioxide is to regulate the movement of positively charged alkali metal ions, such as sodium and calcium. When too much calcium enters a cell it activates many enzymes, prevents muscle and nerve cells from relaxing, and ultimately kills the cell. The constant formation of acidic carbon dioxide in the cell allows the cell to remove calcium, along with the small amount of sodium which is constantly entering the cell.

When there is adequate sodium in the extracellular fluid, the continuous inward movement of sodium ions into the resting cell activates an enzyme, sodium-potassium ATPase, causing ATP to break down into ADP and phosphate, which stimulates the consumption of fuel and oxygen to maintain an adequate level of ATP. Increasing the concentration of sodium increases the energy consumption and carbon dioxide production of the cell. The sodium, by increasing carbon dioxide production, protects against the excitatory, toxic effects of the intracellular calcium.

Hypertonic solutions, containing more than the normal concentration of sodium (from about twice normal to 8 or 10 times normal) are being used to rescuscitate people and animals after injury. Rather than just increasing blood volume to restore circulation, the hypertonic sodium restores cellular energy production, increasing oxygen consumption and heat production while reducing free radical production, improves the contraction and relaxation of the heart muscle, and reduces inflammation, vascular permeability, and edema.

-from Salt, energy, metabolic rate, and longevity

It may be as simple as practicing some breathing exercises to increase CO2. Bicabronate would work also. I've noticed you can easily break a light sweat during breathing exercises, especially on the forehead. I also notice warmer extremities. Using sauna or heat lamps to generate sweat is very therapeutic as well.

Good post diokine, I think if you don't see edema improve after a couple of days of increased sodium/electrolytes, look at other reasons for edema.
If you are dehydrated then drink water! Follow cravings.