What To Look For When Buying Incandescent Bulbs?

OP
G

Gametime

FYI the bulb in the link has a smaller socket typically for a chandelier. not sure if thats what you want

also I know you just want it for regular lighting but a 25w incandescent would be way too dark for me. At a min I would go 100w for ceiling and 60 -75w for lamp. You would be amazed at how nice a bright room is during the dreary winter.

I hate to contradict my friend above but white LEDs give off a very unnatural light and are very unhealthy for a number of reasons.
You Likely Use These Eye-Destroying Light Bulbs Not Realizing They're Linked to Blindness?
"Story at-a-glance
  • Near-infrared is important as it primes the cells in your retina for repair and regeneration, which explains why LEDs — which is devoid of infrared — are so harmful for your eyes and health
  • One-third of the energy your body consumes comes from the food you eat. The vast majority of the energy your body needs to maintain the systemic equilibrium comes from environmental infrared light exposure
  • LEDs sabotage health and promote blindness. Limit your exposure to blue light during the daytime and at night. Swap out LEDs for incandescents or low-voltage incandescent halogen lights"
On the other hand it looks like you are getting two orange and red coated incandescent bulbs. If you plan on getting into red light therapy these are not typically used. They may work, I dont know, but typically here you would use a single wavelength led light.

Right got ya.. apart from my wattage which I can easily go up with (
Philips Incandescent Standard E27 - Any-lamp )

Everything else is good in terms of suitability for sleep? And I didn't plan to use them red bulbs for red light therapy, just as an extra option for the bed side lamps if I felt like it Yano!

Thanks though man!

biggirlkisss

ill like to use a accurate spectroscope and see how accurate warm white led 2700k have in terms of wavelength colors. but ya if you dim a 1500 watt dim to 250 watts you will have so much more red and orange led will not as worth it for saving electricity.

smith

or you can buy a 130 volt bulb 500 watt and dim it to 250 watt to give it a warmer temperature or lower kevlin but you need a e39 to 326 mogui converter for 500 watt bulbs.
You mean dim it using one of those external dimmers you can plug into the same socket as your light?

biggirlkisss

yes if you dim leds though unless they say they wont change wavelength and even then not by much. Incandnets when you dim can change more so. Halogens can too but then you lower how long they last. Incanndets you dim then they last way longer.

smith

yes if you dim leds though unless they say they wont change wavelength and even then not by much. Incandnets when you dim can change more so. Halogens can too but then you lower how long they last. Incanndets you dim then they last way longer.
Cool, thanks. Can a 500watt incandescent bulb + a e39 to 326 converter work in any light socket it fits in or should they ONLY be put in a 250-300watt(or higher, if it exists) brooder lamp just to be safe? Also, does the voltage capacity of the dimmer matter, like 120 vs 130 volts?

Last edited:

biggirlkisss

a 500 watt with adapter would work in a socket but if it says 300 watt for example then it could be a fire hazard it would work. 500 watt would burn quite a bit. anything higher then 300 watt real fire hazard. Dimming a 500 watt to 300 watt gives you better wavelength.

Aymen

Have a listen to the interview with Dr Alexander Wunsch in the article I posted. The problem with all white LEDs is that they not only have a spike of blue light but they also have very little red and almost no infrared. An incandescent is majority red and infrared red which are highly protective against the blue light as well as healing to our bodies. He speaks of a new wave of blindness that will effect people as we use more and more leds.

incandescent
Incandescent-spd-and-cri_1-600x434.jpg

vs high CRI light (TrueWhite 93 CRI)
Cree-TW-60W-more-than20min-600x306.jpg
Hey man , do you think there are some health benefits if i use incandensent red light bulb that contains low amount of watt (10-60) ?

biggirlkisss

aymen tiny bit but not enough to notice unless you took a 20 watt and had it almost touching skin. but still not that much. your better of using 18 or 25 watt leds super close to skin as no or very little uv.

Aymen

aymen tiny bit but not enough to notice unless you took a 20 watt and had it almost touching skin. but still not that much. your better of using 18 or 25 watt leds super close to skin as no or very little uv.
i,m going to buy one and start using it a few minutes per day , is it safe and effective if i put it very close to my skin?

biggirlkisss

leds yes incandescent no you can burn yourself halogens no way could have uva coming though them depending on filter.

Aymen

hey again @biggirlkisss , @Daniel11 i have been searching for red bulbs and i finally find one and i bought it , here in my country usually they sell blue bulbs , it's very hard to find red , so i bought one which is named : GLINT LAMP BULB ,Red 100 watt , 220-240 volt .
i didn't find a LED , is there a benefit from the one i bought it if i use it minutes before bed ?
it looks like this one and emits red color https://www.amazon.com/Incandescent...ture_twenty_browse-bin:3267892011&s=hi&sr=1-5

Last edited:

GgOTi

Regarding incandescents, how important is the glass of the bulb itself? (i.e. Frosted/soft/diffused vs clear/hard/un-diffused) I remember reading or hearing somewhere the bulbs should be clear for them to be the most beneficial. From an aesthetic point of view though, diffused lighting is generally more desirable. I can understand and appreciate that the less there is to obstruct the spectrum of light, the more ideal. However, as we approach the NIR and IR end of the light spectrum, how much of a benefit is there to be gained from keeping the light un-diffused? Actual data to this end would be preferred.

brainfog

What about 230 volt? I live in Europe and we only have 230 volt here... I dont know what that means. Will it not be effective? philips have a lightbulb that is 250watt and 230 volt. Im thinking of buying that. But im unsure when ppl talking about 130 volt...

Back
Top Bottom