Oyster Soup Recipe Using Boiled In Water Canned

Birdie

I've had this can or tin of whole oysters boiled in water for a while. And I keep bringing it out of the cupboard, putting it on the kitchen counter, and in a few days putting it away because I never want to fix and eat them.

Today, decided to look up a recipe and plan to make it even if I am not in the mood.
So, here is the recipe which I modified from Gastronomique:

Oysters a la rhetaise
My 8 oz can of oysters.
Juice and oysters into saucepan. Chopped shallot. Small knob butter.

Reduce by 1/2. Add light cream 1 tablespoon? Pinch saffron. 1/2 tsp curry powder approx.
Recipe says to add cayenne, but it's a nightshade so not for me. I have my own nightshade free curry pow.
Blend and reduce. Drops lemon juice.

I'll take the oysters out at the beginning (when they are warm) since they are already cooked and this recipe is for raw ones.

This is supposed to make 4 servings but it is a tiny can. We'll see how it goes. I don't know if anybody else has trouble eating them. I like the idea and want to eat them but as I said it's been hard for me.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Thanks for the recipe Birdie.

CoolTweetPete

Thanks for this. I tried a similar idea last night and it came out great. Here is what I used.

1 quart half and half
1/4 stick butter
2 small shallots
1 can oysters
1/2 cup preboiled (4 hours) portabello mushrooms
pink salt

Cook shallots in butter until tender, and add mixture to half and half in pot over medium-high heat, brought almost to a boil, and added oysters, salt, and mushrooms. Garnished with shredded mozarella.

YamnayaMommy

I've had this can or tin of whole oysters boiled in water for a while. And I keep bringing it out of the cupboard, putting it on the kitchen counter, and in a few days putting it away because I never want to fix and eat them.

Today, decided to look up a recipe and plan to make it even if I am not in the mood.
So, here is the recipe which I modified from Gastronomique:

Oysters a la rhetaise
My 8 oz can of oysters.
Juice and oysters into saucepan. Chopped shallot. Small knob butter.

Reduce by 1/2. Add light cream 1 tablespoon? Pinch saffron. 1/2 tsp curry powder approx.
Recipe says to add cayenne, but it's a nightshade so not for me. I have my own nightshade free curry pow.
Blend and reduce. Drops lemon juice.

I'll take the oysters out at the beginning (when they are warm) since they are already cooked and this recipe is for raw ones.

This is supposed to make 4 servings but it is a tiny can. We'll see how it goes. I don't know if anybody else has trouble eating them. I like the idea and want to eat them but as I said it's been hard for me.

Was this a keeper? I got two cans of boiled oysters in water last weekend and served some of them with dinner the other night. With lemon. Couldn’t believe how disgusting they were. And I like fresh oysters. But these. No.

OP
B

Birdie

Was this a keeper? I got two cans of boiled oysters in water last weekend and served some of them with dinner the other night. With lemon. Couldn’t believe how disgusting they were. And I like fresh oysters. But these. No.
It was good. Even my husband who is from an area with fresh oysters available, ate it.

OP
B

Birdie

I have my can on the counter. Thanks for the reminder @YamnayaMommy. Haven't made them for a long time.

Inaut

I agree regarding the taste. I actually blended them one time just to slough it down quickly. It was a real effort to keep it down. Blahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

OP
B

Birdie

I agree regarding the taste. I actually blended them one time just to slough it down quickly. It was a real effort to keep it down. Blahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Ohhhh.

OP
B

Birdie

I have to wait for next week to try making Oyster Soup.
I've made a "pretty peaty" pot roast that will last 2 more days.
Then, have to think of oysters.

Kinda hard to fit this all in and live a life out of the kitchen.
So, I'm trying to make things that will last a few days. :darts:

YamnayaMommy

I have to wait for next week to try making Oyster Soup.
I've made a "pretty peaty" pot roast that will last 2 more days.
Then, have to think of oysters.

Kinda hard to fit this all in and live a life out of the kitchen.
So, I'm trying to make things that will last a few days. :darts:
What’s your pretty peaty pot roast????

OP
B

Birdie

I loosely followed Julia Child.

Where she called for olive oil, I used butter. I reduced the amount of onions and carrot slices. And I added oxtail bones. I added the mushroom slices early so they got well cooked.

The meat is longer cooked so I guess that would be less peaty there. But I used only 2 pounds.... Let's see, I parboiled the bacon, and used way way less than the recipe. I used chicken broth, so fine there. I did add some dry vermouth which she called for anyway. I think white wine is more favored than red in peatland...

I went easy on the thyme and bayleaf. Usually, I put them in a teabag to remove later so the flavor is there, but not the leaves.
Salt is peaty, pepper not, so I used just a grind of pepper. In the past I've put the peppercorns in the teabag too.

I can't eat potatoes (solanine in them) so didn't use those even though well cooked young potatoes would be peaty. We're having it with white medium grain rice from California... supposed to be lower arsenic. I don't remember if RP talks about the arsenic in rice but I always buy Lindberg's (Calif) sushi or white arborio. The small bags that actually have Ca grown rice.

Mastering the Art... p323 but I did it as pot roast.

YamnayaMommy

I loosely followed Julia Child.

Where she called for olive oil, I used butter. I reduced the amount of onions and carrot slices. And I added oxtail bones. I added the mushroom slices early so they got well cooked.

The meat is longer cooked so I guess that would be less peaty there. But I used only 2 pounds.... Let's see, I parboiled the bacon, and used way way less than the recipe. I used chicken broth, so fine there. I did add some dry vermouth which she called for anyway. I think white wine is more favored than red in peatland...

I went easy on the thyme and bayleaf. Usually, I put them in a teabag to remove later so the flavor is there, but not the leaves.
Salt is peaty, pepper not, so I used just a grind of pepper. In the past I've put the peppercorns in the teabag too.

I can't eat potatoes (solanine in them) so didn't use those even though well cooked young potatoes would be peaty. We're having it with white medium grain rice from California... supposed to be lower arsenic. I don't remember if RP talks about the arsenic in rice but I always buy Lindberg's (Calif) sushi or white arborio. The small bags that actually have Ca grown rice.

Mastering the Art... p323 but I did it as pot roast.
Gracious me. I’ll put that in the stack of recipes to try next time a grandma is visiting and can hold my baby while I cook. my baby just reached the pulling-up-to-standing phase and keeps toppling over and bonking his face and head on everything. Needs constant attention. And you can’t parboil bacon with baby strapped to your chest.

OP
B

Birdie

Oh, no. A baby is better than having time for fancy recipes...

I usually skip the bacon. But I have another very easy recipe. When I find it will post. It's always good too.

YamnayaMommy

Oh, no. A baby is better than having time for fancy recipes...

I usually skip the bacon. But I have another very easy recipe. When I find it will post. It's always good too.
Post the easy one when you find it!