Progesterone And Headache?

vulture

hi all

Using progesterone (prometrium), specially in the 50-100 mg range topical, tends to give me headache. Today I even woke up to eat, craving sugar. I assume it’s lowering an hormone, maybe cortisol, then there’s a lack of enough glucose and I need to eat even more to keep going.

Thanks for your insights.

opethfeldt

Well, I've experienced the same when i upped progesterone. My theory is that it's from the decrease in serotonin. I find that any time my serotonin changes significantly, up or down, I get headaches until my body gets used to the new level.

OP
vulture

vulture

How much does it take for you to adapt?
I think I’ll just use a smaller portion, maybe 25 mg topical, just a slight aid to sleep.
The headache actually starts to vanish and in the afternoon it disappears or at least almost, right now again I have no headache at night.

opethfeldt

How much does it take for you to adapt?
I think I’ll just use a smaller portion, maybe 25 mg topical, just a slight aid to sleep.
The headache actually starts to vanish and in the afternoon it disappears or at least almost, right now again I have no headache at night.
I'm on 20mg now. Took me maybe a day or two for the headache to subside. Haven't had any issues since.

OP
vulture

vulture

I'm on 20mg now. Took me maybe a day or two for the headache to subside. Haven't had any issues since.
Well, reduced the dose to half or even a third and still feel relaxation, easy to take naps and spend the day eating and not having any headache so far.
Do, try lower dose if this is your problem.

opethfeldt

Well, reduced the dose to half or even a third and still feel relaxation, easy to take naps and spend the day eating and not having any headache so far.
Do, try lower dose if this is your problem.
I recently did. Unrelated to headaches. I had it working well for probably a month but I guess it built up. Started getting anti androgenic effects. Prog is such a great tool but is difficult to use.

OP
vulture

vulture

What anti androgenic effects? What did you notice?

Dave Clark

I recently did. Unrelated to headaches. I had it working well for probably a month but I guess it built up. Started getting anti androgenic effects. Prog is such a great tool but is difficult to use.
Maybe look into IdeaLab's 6 Keto P4, progesterone without those symptoms.

Gabriel Dell

I think prometrium is not BioIdentical Progesterone. So i think it can have some side effects that Bioidentical Prog. does not have

tara

YamnayaMommy

I started taking progest e this week, about 4 drops morning and night orally, and some more topically, and have had bad headaches the last two days. I am stopping it to see if they go away.

OP
vulture

vulture

I started taking progest e this week, about 4 drops morning and night orally, and some more topically, and have had bad headaches the last two days. I am stopping it to see if they go away.
Reduce dose

Gerard1989

Well, I've experienced the same when i upped progesterone. My theory is that it's from the decrease in serotonin. I find that any time my serotonin changes significantly, up or down, I get headaches until my body gets used to the new level.
I tend to agree with this theory. I have had the same experience when adding not only progesterone but also other substances that, in my understanding reduce serotonin, such as T3 and even salt. Has anyone written about this phenomenon?