Re-feeding Increases Testosterone But Fasting Is Not The Way To Be More Anabolic

Cameron

There is a growing body of evidence suggesting that the effects of testosterone are energetically expensive, and may play an energy-allocating role in the life history trade off between reproduction and survival (Charnov 1993; Folstad and Karter 1992; Muehlenbein 2008; Muehlenbein and Bribiescas 2005). High testosterone levels are hypothesized to lead to increased investment in reproduction, including behavioral strategies and secondary sexual characteristics (Muehlenbein and Bribiescas 2005). Testosterone plays an important role in increasing and maintaining male muscle mass, which can enhance competitive ability and mate attraction (Bhasin and others 1996; Bribiescas 2001). This comes at a cost: not only is muscle energetically expensive (Lassek and Gaulin 2009), but high levels of testosterone also increase the catabolism of fat tissues, depleting reserves that could be essential during periods of food shortage (Bhasin and others 2005).

Studies of male human and non-human primates suggest that short-term fasts can have significant down-regulatory effects on the hypothalamic-pituitary-gonadal (HPG) axis, prior to any change in body weight or composition (Aloi and others 1997; Bergendahl and Veldhuis 1995; Cameron and others 1991). In human males, fasting appears to significantly reduce the number, and amplitude of gonadotropin releasing hormone (GnRH) pulses, thus decreasing luteinizing hormone (LH) pulsatility (Aloi and others 1997; Rojdmark 1987). It is difficult to directly measure GnRH in humans, as it exists solely within the brain, but administration of intravenous GnRH during caloric restriction restores LH pulses, suggesting that fasting down regulates GnRH production (Aloi and others 1997). Problems with direct testing for GnRH make it difficult to ascertain whether it is the frequency of GnRH pulses, or their amplitude that is affected by short term fasting (Aloi and others 1997). Administration of intravenous GnRH has also been shown to restore testosterone levels in fasting subjects (Rojdmark 1987).

Once a fast is broken, LH pulsatility rebounds in male subjects; both in human and non-human primates (Friedl and others 2000; Parfitt and others 1991; Schreihofer and others 1993a; Schreihofer and others 1993b). LH secretion begins within twenty-to-forty minutes of re-feeding, and is monotonically related to the size of the re-feeding meal (Parfitt and others 1991). Resumption of LH secretion is unrelated to the actual act of eating; macaques re-fed via gastric cannulae showed an LH rebound statistically identical to macaques that were re-fed naturally (Schreihofer and others 1993a). When normal weight primates were overfed just prior to the onset of fasting, there was no effect on LH secretion, suggesting that acute caloric deficit plays an important role in hormonal down regulation (Cameron 1996; Schreihofer and others 1993b).

Previous studies find that multi-day fasts cause a reduction in LH and testosterone. This project tests the responsiveness of the male HPG and HPA to a brief caloric deficit. We hypothesize that the male reproductive axis is sensitive to even minor energetic disruptions, with reductions in LH and testosterone the morning following a missed evening meal. We also hypothesize that testosterone will return to normal levels rapidly after re-feeding. Cortisol is hypothesized to rise due to HPA activation from the psychological and physiological stress of fasting. Understanding the effects of short term caloric reduction on the endocrine system will provide insight into the role of testosterone in the trade-off between survival and reproduction in human males.

OP
Cameron

Cameron

@haidut this did make me want to ask in your opinion what the best maybe top 2 techniques would be in increasing the androgen receptor via diet or lifestyle. Does abstinence of orgasm or food (or particular food) have any role in increasing AR at all in your research?

Tarmander

The idea that Test is very energy hungry as a hormone makes a lot of sense, and explains some observational things seen with guys taking TRT, and rapid aging. Would also explain why T is associated with hair loss, especially in guys after they go off T.

I think @ecstatichamster mentioned something to the effect of "Testosterone raw materials" or something along those lines, where you need nutrients to feed the testosterone monster. What are those nutrients? I remember gbolduev talked about alkalinity and would say that guys doing TRT got into metabolic alkalosis, and chloride was part of treating that alkalosis.

I think cholesterol, pregnenolone should be in quantity enough to supply downstream hormones. Also sugar consumption and protein have to be adequate.

I am finding that the #1 problem with men who have low T is endotoxin issues. Slow gut motility, SIBO, resulting in high serotonin and this sets off an inflammatory cascade that shuts down male androgen production and results in damage to spleen, Leydig cells, beta cells and more.

Tarmander

I think cholesterol, pregnenolone should be in quantity enough to supply downstream hormones. Also sugar consumption and protein have to be adequate.

I am finding that the #1 problem with men who have low T is endotoxin issues. Slow gut motility, SIBO, resulting in high serotonin and this sets off an inflammatory cascade that shuts down male androgen production and results in damage to spleen, Leydig cells, beta cells and more.
You think getting on some type of light laxative for a few months would be beneficial? Have you seen that in anyone yet?

OP
Cameron

Cameron

I agree with this big time. Gut issues inflammation and lack of energy will result in a degrading organism not suited for reproduction. If your pursuing high androgen and alpha health plenty of energy must be consumed and nutrient density without inflammation and empty calories. Problem is most people get empty calories and fiber and inflammation. Not calorie energy dense nutrition with lack of inflammatory fiber or Endotoxin causing starch and pufa.

OP
Cameron

Cameron

I did IF for a year. A 16-20 hour fasting window. I did experience lots of strength gain at first in the gym I got very lean also muscular, but I will say ultimately I did experience a lot of obvious stress and after awhile hit a huge plateau. Even with nutrient dense eating.

Inaut

I’ve been eating about 2 ounces of raw (frozen) liver daily for the last week or so... My bowel movements have been the best they’ve been in a long time.... I think taking mag with food has helped too instead of the laxative effect.

OP
Cameron

Cameron

I’ve been eating about 2 ounces of raw (frozen) liver daily for the last week or so... My bowel movements have been the best they’ve been in a long time.... I think taking mag with food has helped too instead of the laxative effect.
Yeah I eat us wellness meats beef liverwurst instead of muscle meat. Magnesium was something I was neglecting for awhile and noticed mood issues so I got that back with Gerolsteiner water and sometimes adding milk magnesia too it for extra magnesium bicarbonate. Liver, oysters, and electrolytes is absolutely crucial.

Tarmander

I think the high vit A foods will backfire on you eventually. I know there is a facebook group that builds muscle with deca and high amounts of tomatoes, so it definitely works for awhile.

High C does seem to work. When I get the 20g IV I always notice more masculinity.

Frankdee20

I think the high vit A foods will backfire on you eventually. I know there is a facebook group that builds muscle with deca and high amounts of tomatoes, so it definitely works for awhile.

High C does seem to work. When I get the 20g IV I always notice more masculinity.

Why does that backfire ? Vitamin A is required along with Thyroid for cholesterol conversion to steroids, is it not ? Why does everyone hate Vitamin A on here ?

shine

Why does that backfire ? Vitamin A is required along with Thyroid for cholesterol conversion to steroids, is it not ? Why does everyone hate Vitamin A on here ?

It's cult behaviour. They found a new truth from some new guru that they now believe in. The same mental patterns that brought them to Peat now lead them to the poison A guy.

Frankdee20

It's cult behaviour. They found a new truth from some new guru that they now believe in. The same mental patterns that brought them to Peat now lead them to the poison A guy.
That’s what I suspected

Tarmander

Ed2d13zX0AQW4Xo

I'm just the guy in the overalls

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals