Kidney Health

OP
P

Peater

Cyproheptadine - DrugBank "Most antihistamines possess significant anticholinergic properties, but Cyproheptadine exerts only weak anticholinergic actions."

I think I've heard Dr. Peat recommend doxylamine succinate and diphenhydramine if you can find them without toxic excipients.

But I agree taking antihistamines every day is not a long-term solution. As for diet, I think pretty much everything Dr. Peat recommends aims to reduce fat oxidation/stress. Fructose, calcium, saturated fat (I think coconut oil in particular, even more so than butter/ghee/animal fat, since it strongly raises pregnenolone and lowers serotonin), fat soluble vitamins, gelatin, everything that is pro-GABA & anti-excitation.

Thanks for that lampofred, I may get doxylamine succinate to try in important situations. Diphenhydramine is a sleeping aid I have used, it works well, but no good for what I need it for! I've never noticed any improvement when I used to eat loads of coconut oil in my paleo days. Guess my nervous system is just FUBAR

lampofred

Thanks for that lampofred, I may get doxylamine succinate to try in important situations. Diphenhydramine is a sleeping aid I have used, it works well, but no good for what I need it for! I've never noticed any improvement when I used to eat loads of coconut oil in my paleo days. Guess my nervous system is just FUBAR

Just saw this quote on the main page from Dr. Peat's article on learned helplessness: "Most people can benefit from reducing intake of phosphate, iron, and polyunsaturated fats (which can inhibit cholinesterase; Willis, et al., 2009), and from choosing foods that reduce production and absorption of endotoxin."

So donating blood to reduce iron might also help to lower all of the things that damage the kidneys.

OP
P

Peater

Just saw this quote on the main page from Dr. Peat's article on learned helplessness: "Most people can benefit from reducing intake of phosphate, iron, and polyunsaturated fats (which can inhibit cholinesterase; Willis, et al., 2009), and from choosing foods that reduce production and absorption of endotoxin."

So donating blood to reduce iron might also help to lower all of the things that damage the kidneys.

I really appreciate your help and contributions on this thread lampofred :) Unfortunately donations as often as is permitted here did not make any noticeable difference. I try and eat as little PUFA as possible - no seed oils, very limited nuts, minimal chicken. Bacon/pork would be the only occasional sources I can think of. I'm not a full on Peat monk ( :D ) as it's not possible for me, but I do my best

lampofred

I really appreciate your help and contributions on this thread lampofred :) Unfortunately donations as often as is permitted here did not make any noticeable difference. I try and eat as little PUFA as possible - no seed oils, very limited nuts, minimal chicken. Bacon/pork would be the only occasional sources I can think of. I'm not a full on Peat monk ( :D ) as it's not possible for me, but I do my best

np. & I realize I've posted about 5 times in 1 page lol, but imo better to overpost than underpost since all it takes is for one idea to click for someone to turn their health around, even if it means I come across as slightly manic :D

OP
P

Peater

np. & I realize I've posted about 5 times in 1 page lol, but imo better to overpost than underpost since all it takes is for one idea to click for someone to turn their health around, even if it means I come across as slightly manic :D

Not manic, helpful! I have ordered TUDCA so I will update this thread with any results once it arrives

OP
P

Peater

It arrived today. I just took 1x 200mg capsule. How long would expect results to take? Thank you

Nemo

I think that's a sign of excess growth hormone/acetylcholine. Going on a trip gets people out of the learned helplessness state, which lowers acetylcholine and growth hormone. The standard treatment for hyperhidrosis is anticholinergics. Growth hormone/acetylcholine are also highly associated with phophate, hence the weak kidneys. I think Dr. Peat also said growth hormone is kidney toxic. Eating more fat lowers growth hormone. Fructose and calcium probably do too. I think some antihistamines (but not all) help people sweat less because they are anticholinergic.

What about cortisol? Sweating goes away in the morning, when cortisol levels are highest, whether Peater has coffee or not. Coffee makes it worse (caffeine raises cortisol levels).

Sweating at bedtime doesn't fit unless Peater is using the Peat strategy of eating fat, salt and sugar at bedtime to lower cortisol/stress hormones for the night. I would imagine a guy who calls himself Peater would be using that strategy.

And pinacolada doesn't suffer the symptoms on vacation.

Is the accupuncturist really targeting the kidneys or the adrenals sitting on the kidneys?

Lejeboca

How did you find out they were the right herbs for you?

These are not Ayurvedic or TCM herbs, but Cinnamon Cassia or Monarda Fistulosa (bee balm) might be helpful. I haven't tried the former but did try the latter and can attest that it made my skin less clammy (although my situation never was as bad as yours).
I've used monarda as ethanol tincture 3 drops a couple of times per day or when needed.

OP
P

Peater

Thanks everyone for taking the time to read my thread and contribute, I really appreciate it. I have a hunch that it is a combo of nervous system over-action, and possibly the liver, see below. It is 31C/88F here today, so harder to do an unbiased assessment!

Tudca or androsterone.

Firstly, TUDCA seems to have had a minor benefit, so I am going to keep going with this and see if it is cumulative. I would be stunned and very pleased if that is all that is needed - 20 years of struggle sorted with one supp! I think it would need an additional nervous system calming agent I'm not aware of (Theanine no benefit). But then, can the liver/kidney being unhealthy effect the nervous system? Circles within circles!

I've been using andro for a while with no noticeable benefit on hyperhydrosis. If anything, it's warming effect may cause more! But I like the stuff.

These are not Ayurvedic or TCM herbs, but Cinnamon Cassia or Monarda Fistulosa (bee balm) might be helpful. I haven't tried the former but did try the latter and can attest that it made my skin less clammy (although my situation never was as bad as yours).
I've used monarda as ethanol tincture 3 drops a couple of times per day or when needed.

I will get both of those and try them (Working away from home so may be a while to report back)

What about cortisol? Sweating goes away in the morning, when cortisol levels are highest, whether Peater has coffee or not. Coffee makes it worse (caffeine raises cortisol levels).

Sweating at bedtime doesn't fit unless Peater is using the Peat strategy of eating fat, salt and sugar at bedtime to lower cortisol/stress hormones for the night. I would imagine a guy who calls himself Peater would be using that strategy.

Is the accupuncturist really targeting the kidneys or the adrenals sitting on the kidneys?

I don't know what my cortisol level is like really. I take 1-2 drops of CortiNon before bed, based on the assumption that is a reasonable 'Do no harm' dose, but if I don't take any, unwarranted sweating is still not an issue at that time of night. I could get my levels verified if you think it would be important to know? I would need to buy a private test, NHS doesn't do tests on a request basis.

Eating/nutrients has no effect at all when it is bad sadly - even bicarb with OJ, or a decent hunk of cheese/Greek yogurt, aspirin, magnesium...I've tried the lot!

I will ask her to confirm what she is targeting. I did not see any benefit after the first session (To be expected, really)

Last edited:

LUH 3417

Thanks everyone for taking the time to read my thread and contribute, I really appreciate it. I have a hunch that it is a combo of nervous system over-action, and possibly the liver, see below. It is 31C/88F here today, so harder to do an unbiased assessment!

Firstly, TUDCA seems to have had a minor benefit, so I am going to keep going with this and see if it is cumulative. I would be stunned and very pleased if that is all that is needed - 20 years of struggle sorted with one supp! I think it would need an additional nervous system calming agent I'm not aware of (Theanine no benefit). But then, can the liver/kidney being unhealthy effect the nervous system? Circles within circles!

I've been using andro for a while with no noticeable benefit on hyperhydrosis. If anything, it's warming effect may cause more! But I like the stuff.

I will get both of those and try them (Working away from home so may be a while to report back)

I don't know what my cortisol level is like really. I take 1-2 drops of CortiNon before bed, based on the assumption that is a reasonable 'Do no harm' dose, but if I don't take any, unwarranted sweating is still not an issue at that time of night. I could get my levels verified if you think it would be important to know? I would need to buy a private test, NHS doesn't do tests on a request basis.

Eating/nutrients has no effect at all when it is bad sadly - even bicarb with OJ, or a decent hunk of cheese/Greek yogurt, aspirin, magnesium...I've tried the lot!

I will ask her to confirm what she is targeting. I did not see any benefit after the first session (To be expected, really)
One thing I am very interested in is the relation between the surgery for hyperhidrosis and the corresponding meridian in TCM. I know they clamped a nerve on both sides of my thoracic cavity and I also know in TCM the liver and kidney meridians run along certain parts of the body. Just something to think about and maybe will be useful for both of us solving this issue. Perhaps an enlarged or overworked liver pressed against certain nerves in the thoracic cavity? Could explain why I have see a relation between sweating and days I have gone too long without eating. Also maybe it’s anatomical and laying down at night to sleep relieves the hypothetical pressure from the liver on certain parts of the nervous system.

Last edited:
OP
P

Peater

One thing I am very interested in is the relation between the surgery for hyperhidrosis and the corresponding meridian in TCM. I know they clamped a nerve on both sides of my thoracic cavity and I also know in TCM the liver and kidney meridians run along certain parts of the body. Just something to think about and maybe will be useful for both of us solving this issue. Perhaps an enlarged or overworked liver pressed against certain nerves in the thoracic cavity? Could explain why I have see a relation between sweating and days I have gone too long without eating. Also maybe it’s anatomical and laying down at night to sleep relieves the hypothetical pressure from the liver on certain parts of the nervous system.

It's a fascinating idea, I don't know enough other than to say there has to be more to it than just nutrients and lifestyle.

lampofred

I'm probably just not reading it right, but I don't fully understand what you're saying. You're saying sweating goes away when cortisol is at its highest but also that something which raises cortisol makes it worse?

I think generally cortisol tends to rise or fall in tandem with FFA. Cortisol is highest in the morning but I think FFA are too, & caffeine raises both cortisol and FFA. They are both signs of energy deficiency or stress. Insufficient sugar to support your metabolism causing an increase in FFA and cortisol (or generally a metabolism that relies too much on fats due to prolonged stress, excess methylation), low GABA, high acetylcholine and growth hormone is my guess as to what's happening. High growth hormone in the milk someone is drinking might also be playing a role (although that's probably not the cause if the sweating goes away while on vacation).

Last edited:

Lejeboca

I think it would need an additional nervous system calming agent

Still going for herbs: I'd try to drink fresh melissa (lemon balm) tea. It's *very* calming, as a general remedy.

Also maybe it’s anatomical and laying down at night to sleep relieves the hypothetical pressure from the liver on certain parts of the nervous system

If you think that this is anatomical while lying in bed, maybe inclined bed therapy is a good solution to try to further this hunch?

I'm probably just not reading it right, but I don't fully understand what you're saying. You're saying sweating goes away when cortisol is at its highest but also that something which raises cortisol makes it worse?

I also got confused about what's Nemo was saying in that message...
N.B. When my cortisol is high at night I do get sweaty then, so maybe @Peater 's cortisol is not high:
but if I don't take any [CortiNon], unwarranted sweating is still not an issue at that time of night.

LUH 3417

Still going for herbs: I'd try to drink fresh melissa (lemon balm) tea. It's *very* calming, as a general remedy.

If you think that this is anatomical while lying in bed, maybe inclined bed therapy is a good solution to try to further this hunch?

I also got confused about what's Nemo was saying in that message...
N.B. When my cortisol is high at night I do get sweaty then, so maybe @Peater 's cortisol is not high:
I don’t sweat when I am flat in bed. Thank you for the tip however. What I was saying is that maybe standing anatomy causes daytime sweating which Peater and I both experience.

AncestralJoy

Any updates on your condition Peater? I’ve just been browsing kidney stuff and found this thread
Though it’s years since it’s been contributes on I just wanted to add a thought re TCM and the kidney
I’m not sure if you’re aware but TCM framework does not refer only to the kidney organ when talking about the Kidney. The kidney system incorporates the nervous system and I think even the thyroid etc. I’m not a practitioner but I do find TCM fascinating and very wholistic in the way they see health. They kidney system governs creativity and sexual expression and is definitely linked to a lot more other things than just the gland itself. Something that might lead to different western angles of treatment including metabolic and thyroid therapeutics not just kidney glandular Therepy.
mom curious to see how you are doing if there has been anything that has helped improve your condition. My husband had this quite bad when He was in high school but it’s almost all gone. He did do 3yrs as a raw vegan (Not necessarily recommended) and hasn’t really had it much since but there isn’t a specific remedy I could recommend.
Looking into the TCM kidney “system” could give some great threads to follow though.