Lion's Mane Improves Recognition Memory , Inducing Hippocampal Cerebellar Neurogenesis

Satellite

Satellite

OP
E

Experienced

Why not buy RFF one? I think they use a low temp water/ethanol extraction process. They’re considered top-notch and reputable.
I wouldn't trust for their reputation or brand go for them Certificate of Analysis also read the guidelines for bioavailibility. To boost NGF etc you need a good extract you can't just trust a brand without any proof like COA.

Satellite

I wouldn't trust for their reputation or brand go for them Certificate of Analysis also read the guidelines for bioavailibility. To boost NGF etc you need a good extract you can't just trust a brand without any proof like COA.

Ok thanks! They offer COA for their tinctures, but not their extracts for some reason. Maybe they would if I asked.

But I’ll give your suggestion a go just to compare!

OP
E

Experienced

Ok thanks! They offer COA for their tinctures, but not their extracts for some reason. Maybe they would if I asked.

But I’ll give your suggestion a go just to compare!
Putting herbs or herbal powder in a bottle together with alcohol and/or water is called 'cold-extraction'. Liquid extracts or alcohol tinctures are effective with herbs, but never with mushrooms. Alcohol or water does not break down chitin, the main structural ingredient of fungal cells. Some directly exposed bioactive compounds will dissolve in the liquid, but the percentages are very low. Mushroom tinctures therefore never specify bio-active compounds on their supplement facts label, because these levels are entirely unpredictable and in general below the level of detection. At least 95% of the tincture is just liquid and the therapeutic potency is minimal, if any.

And consider this: a powdered extract is in fact the deposit of a solvent extract (solvent = alcohol/water), it's what's left after the liquid has evaporated. After all, all powdered extracts start as a liquid extract. A single 30ml tincture bottle contains ± 4 capsules worth of mushroom extract, the rest is useless liquid. The value for money is very poor, but since it is easy, cheap and fun to do, there are a lot of DIY vendors on the market. For therapeutic effects such products are unsuitable. A very detailed explanation can be found here (opens in new window - check the purchase guideline).

Satellite

Putting herbs or herbal powder in a bottle together with alcohol and/or water is called 'cold-extraction'. Liquid extracts or alcohol tinctures are effective with herbs, but never with mushrooms. Alcohol or water does not break down chitin, the main structural ingredient of fungal cells. Some directly exposed bioactive compounds will dissolve in the liquid, but the percentages are very low. Mushroom tinctures therefore never specify bio-active compounds on their supplement facts label, because these levels are entirely unpredictable and in general below the level of detection. At least 95% of the tincture is just liquid and the therapeutic potency is minimal, if any.

And consider this: a powdered extract is in fact the deposit of a solvent extract (solvent = alcohol/water), it's what's left after the liquid has evaporated. After all, all powdered extracts start as a liquid extract. A single 30ml tincture bottle contains ± 4 capsules worth of mushroom extract, the rest is useless liquid. The value for money is very poor, but since it is easy, cheap and fun to do, there are a lot of DIY vendors on the market. For therapeutic effects such products are unsuitable. A very detailed explanation can be found here (opens in new window - check the purchase guideline).

To clarify, I meant they only offer COA for their herbal tinctures. They do not offer Lions Mane as a tincture, only a tablet. It is combined with pine pollen.

But your are saying the extract used to make the tablets was a tincture and then dried out?

Also I am confused about the link to reddit in your previous post. It talks about tinctures.

What lions mane product should I be using?