Acceptable Dress Shoes?

Taotatoes

I’m pretty sure he wouldn’t be picking up any women in those. Not live ones anyway. Unless you mean pick up as an Uber driver, in which case those shoes must a furnace hell for driving. Or for anything else for that matter.

I am in the camp of liking/buying unique footwear and clothing. I would date a dude wearing those shoes and I don't give a **** about keeping up with the Joneses, or judgements about my choice to express myself authentically through dress or my lifestyle choices.

Its unfortunate that you have such a limited perspective in regards to fashion and what it means to actually be "successful" in life. Lol. I hope it doesn't extend into other facets of your being, because it sounds like a very boring/depressing/conformist way of living.

Amazoniac

That’s how solicitation of opinions usually works
Yeah, how dare someone that's overweight get a shoe opinion for job interview without being called out for it.

Cirion, I'll leave you with these:
Don't hesitate on the high heels if they make you feel fabulous. Shine, my star.
The only rule is don't be boring; dress cute wherever you go, life is too short to blend in (Hilton, 2009).

Taotatoes

Yeah, how dare someone that's overweight get a shoe opinion for job interview without being called out for it.

Cirion, I'll leave you with these:
Don't hesitate on the high heels if they make you feel fabulous. Shine, my star.
The only rule is don't be boring; dress cute wherever you go, life is too short to blend in (Hilton, 2009).

Exactly. Where would we be without the likes of societies creative DGAF eccentric types?! The large majority of the rich and famous built their success on standing out, not fitting in.

OP
Cirion

Cirion

Bwuno!!
Good luck today @Cirion

Thanks--Overall I think I did good. The main interviewer even made it almost sound like I was already hired based upon what he was saying, the verbage used was different than the last interview I was in where I didn't get it and also just overall the body and facial language seemed more positive compared to the interviewer from the last time too. But, of course nothing is final until they either say yes or no. I am hoping to hear something by tomorrow or early next week.

OP
Cirion

Cirion

Only you would think ~$100 shoes are cheap lol. Anyways, nope, and I was by far the best dressed person in the whole room out of 6 people.

OceanSpray

I told you man, nobody wants the best dressed man, if by best dressed you mean the black suit and white shirt. Not at this day and age, not for an engineering job.

I wish you get the job if thats what you want, but if you don’t, your quasi tuxedo will be at least partly to blame, I’ll tell you that.

Nokoni

That’s how solicitation of opinions usually works
Wife: Do you like how I fixed my hair?
Me silently: Why is there a squirrel on your head?
Me: Yeah, wow, I think it looks really nice. I like the way [just comment on any detail].

Amazoniac

Wife: Do you like how I fixed my hair?
Me silently: Why is there a squirrel on your head?
Me: Yeah, wow, I think it looks really nice. I like the way [just comment on any detail].
Whenever a woman asks my opinion and I sense threat, it's returned (yes, a machine): what is the right answer? If it's something more direct that she's trying to get out of me and my response is negative, it's usually just as straightforward: (no,) I prefer.. Proceeding with something legit is better, otherwise faking opinions and finding the least confrontational exit tends to develop into habit, and we eventually end up domesticated, or tamed if you will.

I believe she'll eventually appreciate more the future approvals for knowing that they's frank. Authentic expression is also more impacting, she probably can tell what's going on anyway. If it disappoints her, make up for it by saying that it could be worse if she was wearing those big sneakers*, Crocs, had beard, or abused children; in decreasing order of gravity.

*If she is, it indicates brain hypoxia, rush to the hospital. If they find out that everything is fine, get her a Supreme shirt to cheer her up.

Last edited:

Nokoni

Whenever a woman asks my opinion and I sense threat, it's returned (yes, a machine): what is the right answer? If it's something more direct that she's trying to get out of me and my response is negative, it's usually just as straightforward: (no,) I prefer.. Proceeding with something legit is better, otherwise faking opinions and finding the least confrontational exit tends to develop into habit, and we eventually end up domesticated, or tamed if you will.

I believe she'll eventually appreciate more the future approvals for knowing that they's frank. Authentic expression is also more impacting, she probably can tell what's going on anyway. If it disappoints her, make up for it by saying that it could be worse if she was wearing those big sneakers*, Crocs, had beard, or abused children; in decreasing order of gravity.

*If she is, it indicates brain hypoxia, rush to the hospital. If they find out that everything is fine, get her a Supreme shirt to cheer her up.
Well you're right of course. Cirion was asking for an honest opinion and OceanSpray gave him a really high quality honest opinion. But then OceanSpray generalized that honesty is usually the best policy, and I made a little joke showing an example of where it might not be so.

If my wife were truly seeking to take advantage of my fashion sense I would give her that, or anything else she wanted. But if she just spent an hour fixing her hair I'm not going to tell her she wasted her time. Unless I fear that she will be subject to public embarrassment, I'm going to do the kind thing and make her feel good about herself. When she feels good about herself she'll have a better time no matter what she's planning to do.

Amazoniac

Well you're right of course. Cirion was asking for an honest opinion and OceanSpray gave him a really high quality honest opinion. But then OceanSpray generalized that honesty is usually the best policy, and I made a little joke showing an example of where it might not be so.

If my wife were truly seeking to take advantage of my fashion sense I would give her that, or anything else she wanted. But if she just spent an hour fixing her hair I'm not going to tell her she wasted her time. Unless I fear that she will be subject to public embarrassment, I'm going to do the kind thing and make her feel good about herself. When she feels good about herself she'll have a better time no matter what she's planning to do.
The difference between the marine guru and your hispotesical example is that the reply on the second was to something solicited.
Always telling the guruess what she wants to hear is a form of annulling thyself.

Last edited:

Nokoni

The difference between the marine guru and your hispotesical example is that the reply on the second was to something solicited.
Always telling the guruess what she wants to hear is a form of annulling thyself.
Dunno man. Flowers, flattery, and kindness have worked a treat over a long lifetime. Many guruesses showed lots of welcome appreciation. Guess I've annulled myself quite a bit, but this boy wouldn't change a thing :smilecat:.

Inaut

Good luck bro! If you haven’t had the interview yet

OP
Cirion

Cirion

Good luck bro! If you haven’t had the interview yet

Thanks no news yet. I was told to expect up to 2 weeks. My interviewer also told me the job description for some other positions he might hire me for that are not directly what I applied for (but related) required certain qualifications that I don't have (because this is a public forum I'm not going to say what these qualifications are) but that he would lower the qualifications required because the qualifications needed were quite rare and basically obtained by "invite only" so almost no applicatants have them, so if I got the job he'd work on getting me those qualifications so that I can do the work he ultimately wants me to do. These qualifications are quite desirable in my industry so if I get them, it'd definitely move me up professionally. I have a lesser form of the qualifications needed just have to get them upgraded. The process of "rewording" these job requirements he said could take a week, so this probably explains the delay since strictly speaking they could not hire me as it was previously worded.

OP
Cirion

Cirion

No news yet still. They're definitely taking their time lol.

Granted, the qualifications I mentioned earlier are very expensive for the company to procure for an employee so that they can work on the stuff they have in mind ($50,000-100,000 probably) and likely also time intensive, so there could be a lot of paperwork involved if they wanted to extend an offer.

AnnSimpson

I am in the camp of liking/buying unique footwear and clothing. I would date a dude wearing those shoes and I don't give a **** about keeping up with the Joneses, or judgements about my choice to express myself authentically through dress or my lifestyle choices.

Its unfortunate that you have such a limited perspective in regards to fashion and what it means to actually be "successful" in life. Lol. I hope it doesn't extend into other facets of your being, because it sounds like a very boring/depressing/conformist way of living.

I wear hiking shoes all the time due to arthritis and heel pain. I'm glad that my job doesn't have a strict dress code and thus I can wear any shoes I want or which are suggested by willpowerpeak blog. Otherwise, I couldn't take two steps without it. Can't imagine boots without ankle support and internal cushioning in my life. Gladly, some modern shoes look pretty stylish. I still prefer to choose comfort over fashion.