Too Much Liquids?

stevrd

@stevrd

"You'll know if you need fluids or not based on your thirst."

Duh. I forgot that famous Peat quote: "Thirst is the best guide to the amount of fluid needed." (Water: swelling, tension, pain, fatigue, aging)

"Personally I'm convinced that keeping body temperature up is one of the most important strategies for improving health and if you need to decrease fluid intake for that to happen than so be it."

Thanks for clarifying how important maintaining body temp is when comparing it to fluid intake. Can't forget that. I thought fluid intake might be equally as important if not more, but I agree with you at the end of the day the body temp needs to be good and high in order for us to feel good, and we should aim for whatever amount of fluid intake does not interfere with that homeostasis.

Thanks stevrd

No problem, I think in a nuanced way so subtle differences in meaning to me can be taken out of context. I guess it's just because of my background in studying nutrition/statistics. That article by Peat is one of his best. I think it's important to not forget this quote by him as well: "Eating for metabolic rate rather than particular foods."
Therefore if someone is not ready to incorporate more fluids then he should be primarily eating solid foods, drinking only when thirsty. Not enough attention is paid to listening to our body's communication to us. I often forget this myself. I had to stop the copious amount of milk and OJ in order to heal myself.

jzeno

@stevrd

"Eating for metabolic rate rather than particular foods."

This one time, after going raw keto and then dumping it, I decided F*ck it, I'm going to only eat what I want and see what happens. I ate cinnamon rolls, vanilla ice cream, fried chicken, orange juice and chocolate bars every day. This was years ago. I liked it a lot. It's odd and ironic because it's almost Peat-like, but not entirely though, and without all the theory or research to back it up. I can't say if it did me any good or bad because I wasn't paying attention to any cues, but I can say I loved every minute of it. I wasn't measuring my body temp or any of that stuff back then. So from a palatability standpoint and flexibility standpoint, it was near perfect, but otherwise it was probably good, but not great--maybe great, I don't know! I almost never ate vegetables lol. I think I ate that way for about a few months. Not too long.

I may need to go back to the instinct side or at least balance it in a little bit. I'd say I do better than most on here because I choose to eat natural sourdough bread and now potatoes everyday. I love the stuff (bread) and can't do without some starch otherwise I'm just unhappy about everything. F*ck life without some bread. I just want bread for the sake of comforting my body. I don't know what it is. I once lived in Japan and ate rice every dang day. F*ck that. But with the fried chicken: The only problem I can think of would be the PUFAs. If I could find coconut oil deep fried chicken that would be awesome. Maybe I'll find it one day.

I think the reason that so many people hate making complex, varied diets is because it's such a poor use of time when there's so many other things to be doing with our time in life. Though, we do want to be healthy, so we make an effort but it just seems like the number of healthy foods is just dwindling and dwindling by the day, which makes putting any thought into food more and more difficult. The propaganda and misinformation from the food and agriculture industry, does not help either. PUFAs are geat for you! Take them by the tablespoon! Yeah right. No thanks.

The only reason I fall into the trap of nutrionism is because I want things to be simple, but I want them to work. If I didn't adhere to any nutrition advice I might be all over the place, but very happy, but also I could be endangering myself all the time and wouldn't understand why or even know it in some cases. It's definitely a confusing place to be in history.

I do think there's hope but I'm just not sure what the proper response is as of yet. I think that the proper response will ultimately be a balance of what our body tells us and what our minds know. I could be wrong but that seems reasonable to me. Though I can't say for sure.

I can say--though--without a doubt that this forum has led me to raise my core temperature from 97.7 F upon rising to 98.3 F. I did that with aspirin and also changing my diet to remove allergens that were causing allergic reactions and adding in some things such as OJ that hugely bumped up my hydration, vitamins, minerals, etc. Hopefully, I can continue that progress that I've made here and somehow expand the variety of foods which I choose to eat at the same time.

I do believe there is going to be a balance between the two sides: theory and practicality of it all. Its like Benyamin Bulloc said (Page 1) who can be bothered with food in life? It just seems so nonsensical to me to be exerting so much energy and not receiving nearly the return in dividends. But I definitely still do believe, for certain people and certain conditions, there is a benefit to sitting down and trying to remove allergens and then sticking to intuition the remainder of the time. I could be wrong, but I think that's the most practical application of all of this in the end.

And if I look at my diet--sourdough bread, cheese, beef, liver, OJ, coffee--It's basically a settler's or an old-timer 49er's diet with some OJ for vitamins and minerals. I guess that works. I think I'll try to add in some more variety based on what you shared regarding Peat's opinion for the sake of palitability and variety rather than dogmatically sticking to one food everyday for the rest of my life (hell). For me, though, I can say that I find it to be very hard to break away from what I intellectually understand to be a "good diet" because I'm afraid of committing some sort of cardinal sin against my body. Perhaps I've been reading, too much and need to make things more simple.

Thanks stevrd!

jzeno

@stevrd

Given your opinion of palatability, Curious to know what kind of food you eat on a regular basis. Mind sharing?

Thanks

stevrd

@stevrd

Given your opinion of palatability, Curious to know what kind of food you eat on a regular basis. Mind sharing?

Thanks

I eat anything I want except try to limit PUFA intake and limit raw vegetable consumption. Most foods don't bother me, especially if well-cooked. I overcame my health issues by being less neurotic about diet and nutrition, and eating enough protein and calories, so now I do my best to just eat what I crave and listen to how my body reacts to various foods. My diet is mostly comprised of beef, chicken breast, yogurt, 2% milk, cheese, bread, oranges, apples, bananas, onions, mushrooms, liver, oysters. I drink milk to get protein and calcium because I think that is very important, but I don't drink copious amounts. I try to drink about 2 liters of fluids per day but could be more or less depending on how active I am. I also eat American foods like cheeseburgers and pizza now and then but do my best to stay away from PUFA-laden fried chicken and french fries.

I actually pride myself in overcoming dietary dogmatism and feel sorry for people who think they need to be so restrictive. In some cases people actually need to be on a strict diet, but that should be last resort and after all other methods are stressed. It's rare to actually need to be on a very strict diet to overcome or avoid health issues. But alas there is a lot of delusion in the alternative nutrition field.

jzeno

@stevrd

Nice. My diet mainly consists of sourdough bread, cheese (9+ oz), coconut oil, OJ, salt, coffee, pork rinds (for snacking), and weekly liver. Oysters cause an allergic reaction in my throat, sadly. I love sardines in a can (so good), but they are so high in PUFA I have to limit them to an occasional food.

I try drinking lactose free milk, but it seems to still bother me, so I think it might either just be a quality issue or the protein. I plan to try it again. But that's why I eat a ton of cheese, because it's so good and the calcium, too. I'd like to get 8 oz at least per day of milk but sometimes it just hits me wrong still.

While I don't feel limited by my diet (fried cheese bread with OJ for every meal is actually very satisfying from a palate perspective in my opinion), I do want to try to slowly expand options to include more traditional foods so I can fit in a bit better and not have such an odd diet. But like you said, health is important so if it's necessary as a last resort I'm sure I could get used to this and not be bothered by it--but only as a last resort. I've heard of people adopting stranger and more strict practices for health risks, so this isn't all that strange in comparison. I wish life was easy enough to just eat whatever but that is just not the world we live in!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and also what you eat on a regular basis.

stargazer1111

I don't think it's natural either and not surprised it isn't working for you because I have experienced much of the same. One of the big things you lose on a liquid diet (among other things) is fiber. Fiber gets a negative reaction from some on these forums, but you do need it. OJ and milk are great in many ways but shouldn't be the only things you have. I hear you on the annoyance of preparation as well, but I just don't feel like you can get away from solid foods. The way I look at it, some things like OJ can be excellent just for providing some/much of the gasoline for your body, but not all the nutrition seen in a complete diet. My opinion is that OJ is one of the many promoted "foods" because most people in todays' culture are under-fueling their bodies, and OJ (and milk) are quick and easy ways to get said fuel.

The need for fiber is a myth. The Maasai are a great example of this. Their traditional diet is comprised of milk, meat, and blood and when they consume this diet, they are relatively free of degenerative diseases.

L

Lord Cola

I'm wondering how you all even manage to consume such large volumes of food every day that would be necessitated by following the recommendation of orange juice and milk as main foods.

stargazer1111

I double concentrate my milk. I use fat-free milk powder and make it 2X so that cuts down on the liquid intake somewhat.

stevrd

I double concentrate my milk. I use fat-free milk powder and make it 2X so that cuts down on the liquid intake somewhat.

That's a great idea. How does it taste? I've found whey gives me acne but I can have milk without issue.

stargazer1111

That's a great idea. How does it taste? I've found whey gives me acne but I can have milk without issue.

It tastes like a milk shake, actually. I put 1 cup of Bob's Red Mill fat-free milk powder, 1/2 cup of table sugar and 1 teaspoon of salt in 3.5 cups of water. This is roughly 2x concentrated. Tastes great to me. I just take 1 cup 4 times per day.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals