How Much Can Extra Chewing Help With Poor Absorption/deficiency/SIBO/etc

I've read that chewing a little more helps break down food due to enzymes in spit. I had since started chewing a LOT more than before when I would scarf food down with little/no chewing.

The weird part is that I don't recall as many indigestion/stomach woes when I would scarf tons of food down vs. now when I'm basically a mindful eater.

How big of a difference does chewing more make? I do it now out of habit but doesn't seem to make any real difference on digestion or such in the presence of digestion issues or bacteria or such (which I'm unsure of how these cases apply to me currently, but that's a different story/topic).

I chew at least 50-100 times everything nearly -- even softer foods I take my time with. I notice when I chew more there is more saliva, but it doesn't affect the after effects of eating for me like lots of burping/constant stomach growling/stuck air feeling/etc.

My first plan is to try digestive enzymes and any other supplements that can maybe help with this sort of GERD/SIBO like digestion I've especially noticed more recently.

But as for chewing more, is it making a difference in general? Or only in cases without GERD/reflux/SIBO/etc. can it help?

Interested in hearing fellow Peaters' chewing habits.

milkboi

I fixed my chronic digestive problems without ever focusing on chewing more. Eating easier digestible foods definitely played a role tho, so it might help a bit.

akgrrrl

I've read that chewing a little more helps break down food due to enzymes in spit. I had since started chewing a LOT more than before when I would scarf food down with little/no chewing.

The weird part is that I don't recall as many indigestion/stomach woes when I would scarf tons of food down vs. now when I'm basically a mindful eater.

How big of a difference does chewing more make? I do it now out of habit but doesn't seem to make any real difference on digestion or such in the presence of digestion issues or bacteria or such (which I'm unsure of how these cases apply to me currently, but that's a different story/topic).

I chew at least 50-100 times everything nearly -- even softer foods I take my time with. I notice when I chew more there is more saliva, but it doesn't affect the after effects of eating for me like lots of burping/constant stomach growling/stuck air feeling/etc.

My first plan is to try digestive enzymes and any other supplements that can maybe help with this sort of GERD/SIBO like digestion I've especially noticed more recently.

But as for chewing more, is it making a difference in general? Or only in cases without GERD/reflux/SIBO/etc. can it help?

Interested in hearing fellow Peaters' chewing habits.

Chewing is the main force behind digestion. If you fail to liquify by chewing/combining with pepsin, the enzyme in your saliva you end up with chunks that the peristaltic motion of your intestine cannot dissolve. The only other way to sabotage perfect digestion is by drinking liquid while eating. This obviously dilutes the mixture in the stomach. I would point out that consumption of overmuch liquid at meals is very American. In nearly all older cultures, one is offered a very small cup of chai, or tea to sip and cleanse the palate, or saki, or a glass of wine to sip in euro or mediterranean countries.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals