High Temperature/metabolism And Still Losing Hair

Cirion

I think its less about being lean and more so about PUFAs. Absolutely the better hormonal environment from being lean makes you burn up calories more rapidly but I think the large saturated fat intake I had in the absence of PUFAs is what made saturated fats so powerful at keeping me warm. I think SFAs in a body loaded with PUFA have a vastly different effect then SFAs in a low PUFA-laden body.

Yeah I think I can agree with that. Anyway, hopefully I didn't derail the OP too much lol

OP
B

Bushido1

It sounds like what you guys are saying is that my hair loss speeded up while 'Peating' because I am burning stored PUFA.

I feel like the reason is that so much carbs have fed the bacteria I had and this bacteria is promoting hair loss and itching on the scalp.

Anyways, my wake up oral temperatures the last few days have been 37C (98.6F) and I am still losing massive amounts of hair.

What would you guys do if even while having high temperatures/pulse you are still losing hair? Could this be a vitamin deficiency? Any other reason that you can think off?

redsun

It sounds like what you guys are saying is that my hair loss speeded up while 'Peating' because I am burning stored PUFA.

I feel like the reason is that so much carbs have fed the bacteria I had and this bacteria is promoting hair loss and itching on the scalp.

Anyways, my wake up oral temperatures the last few days have been 37C (98.6F) and I am still losing massive amounts of hair.

What would you guys do if even while having high temperatures/pulse you are still losing hair? Could this be a vitamin deficiency? Any other reason that you can think off?

Check iron and ferritin levels. Ive read some posts here for those that had hair loss that the only thing that was able to stop their hair loss was supplementing iron. Though you should check ferritin levels and other related blood tests before and it would be preferable to get iron from iron rich foods like red meats though if you do find out you have terrible iron status and you might be better off in the long term to just take iron orally.

OceanSpray

@Cirion , with all the obsession about waking temperatures, where has it gotten you?

Ergo, what has gotten you to the current state of morbid obesity, and have the crazy temperatures reversed it (I understand they haven’t), and honestly how did you even get to that point, without pausing half way through to think that - hell this is going in a totally fatal direction.

This is not a personal attack, I enjoy your posts actually, and I’m guessing you’re likely a nice guy, but you dispense a very specific, potentially controversial advice in a very authoritative and absolutist manner, and many reading it may not be aware it’s coming from a very unhealthy individual. Yet that very point is very relevant to how and if one even accepts it.

yerrag

What is your heart rate? Getting to right temperature is just a start. It's gonna help with your survival, but you need good metabolism as indicated by heart rate of about 85 to help with development. Hair growth is about the extra energy above what's needed for survival. With higher heart rate, lush hair growth can be supported.

One thing that is often overlooked but not for Ray Peat's repeated reminders on it is the subject of endotoxins. A recurring load of endotoxins from bacterial infection is an energy sink on the body, and could affect hair growth.

Ron J

What is your heart rate? Getting to right temperature is just a start. It's gonna help with your survival, but you need good metabolism as indicated by heart rate of about 85 to help with development. Hair growth is about the extra energy above what's needed for survival. With higher heart rate, lush hair growth can be supported.

One thing that is often overlooked but not for Ray Peat's repeated reminders on it is the subject of endotoxins. A recurring load of endotoxins from bacterial infection is an energy sink on the body, and could affect hair growth.
I asked for advice in this thread; perhaps you know what can help? Also, I usually consume mushrooms instead of carrots. I may consider a lot of coffee, and antibiotics as last resort.

L

Lord Cola

I posted earlier but deleted it because it wasn't written clearly.

I used to wake up with very high pulse and temperature when I had what I guess were gut bacteria issues. I would wake up with pulse ranging from mid 90's to lower 110's, feeling very hot even with the air conditioner set at the lowest temperature. The temperature and pulse would remain in the same range even after meals. I don't think high pulse and temperature invariably represents a healthy metabolism. Dr. Peat recommends improving metabolism, rather than increasing temperature and pulse no matter what.

My hair improved a lot when I minimized major sources of stress for me, which were PUFA and gut bacteria, by minimizing PUFA consumption, and by consuming well-timed, well-prepared carrot salad every day. I think it would be good to consider whether your metabolism is truly healthy, and if it isn't, then try to fix things that might be causing your metabolism to be less than healthy.

OP
B

Bushido1

Cancer: Disorder and Energy

"The great energetic inefficiency of the cancer metabolism, which causes it to produce a large amount of heat and to cause systemic stress, failure of immunity, and weight loss, is because it synthesizes fat from glucose and amino acids, and then oxidizes the fat as if it were diabetic."

I'm not discounting your tracking man, but I just doubt you're burning glucose into CO2 even with such high waking temps if you have issues like chronic fatigue.

I think the reason you don't have a problem with this fat-burning might be that this synthesized fat is fully saturated or omega-9, whereas OP is probably burning more PUFA by raising his temps.

Hey @lampofred

I remember you used high doses of progesterone to reverse your hair loss.

Could you please tell me what brand of progesterone, what daily doses and for how long did you use it please?

Cirion

@Cirion , with all the obsession about waking temperatures, where has it gotten you?

It's gotten me quite far actually. Farther than any other method or recommendation on these forums. Any day you have less than 98.4F waking temp is hypothyroid and reverses healing. I have many days less than 98.4F still. Hence not being recovered yet.

I posted earlier but deleted it because it wasn't written clearly.

I used to wake up with very high pulse and temperature when I had what I guess were gut bacteria issues. I would wake up with pulse ranging from mid 90's to lower 110's, feeling very hot even with the air conditioner set at the lowest temperature. The temperature and pulse would remain in the same range even after meals. I don't think high pulse and temperature invariably represents a healthy metabolism. Dr. Peat recommends improving metabolism, rather than increasing temperature and pulse no matter what.

My hair improved a lot when I minimized major sources of stress for me, which were PUFA and gut bacteria, by minimizing PUFA consumption, and by consuming well-timed, well-prepared carrot salad every day. I think it would be good to consider whether your metabolism is truly healthy, and if it isn't, then try to fix things that might be causing your metabolism to be less than healthy.

Temperature and pulse are indicators of metabolism as is CO2. If you have a high temp and pulse yet "feel hot", feeling hot means you are dumping heat not retaining it--ie you're getting colder not hotter. that's not an improved metabolism that's high adrenaline. You should actually "feel cold" at a high temperature that's how you know it's a higher metabolism. There are two ways to improve temperature one is with CO2/T3 the other is with adrenaline. Obviously, you don't want the latter. I also doubt you actually had 98.6F temp though. Every time I "feel hot" waking up, my temperature is actually low, usually in the 97's. Anyway, I acknowledge that even temps and pulses may not be the full picture. You really want the full picture, measure CO2 levels also. This is probably actually the single best metric better than temps and pulses, but most people don't own a capnograph so, it's hard to suggest this option.

L

Lord Cola

It's gotten me quite far actually. Farther than any other method or recommendation on these forums. Any day you have less than 98.4F waking temp is hypothyroid and reverses healing. I have many days less than 98.4F still. Hence not being recovered yet.

Temperature and pulse are indicators of metabolism as is CO2. If you have a high temp and pulse yet "feel hot", feeling hot means you are dumping heat not retaining it--ie you're getting colder not hotter. that's not an improved metabolism that's high adrenaline. You should actually "feel cold" at a high temperature that's how you know it's a higher metabolism. There are two ways to improve temperature one is with CO2/T3 the other is with adrenaline. Obviously, you don't want the latter. I also doubt you actually had 98.6F temp though. Every time I "feel hot" waking up, my temperature is actually low, usually in the 97's.
My temperature was very high, and I didn't imply that the state I described was because of improved metabolism. People around me were very worried during that period of time because my body, including my hands and feet, were very hot, and were suggesting that I go to the doctor. It was an anecdotal example of how one could have high temp and pulse, and still have poor metabolism.

Cirion

My temperature was very high, and I didn't imply that the state I described was because of improved metabolism. It was an anecdotal example of how one could have high temp and pulse, and still have poor metabolism.

Ok fair, but I bet CO2 measures would have indicated low (probably like 3-4% CO2 saturation). You want to be at around 6% here.

Still, personally, using temperatures is about 90% reliable for me personally I'd say. I'd say only 1/10 times the temperature "surprises" me (in that a low temp I have good energy or high temp have poor energy) but the other 9/10 times the temperature treats me metabolically as I'd expect.

This might also because I have been peating a while now. I had a harder time keeping my temperatures up when I was newer and indeed "felt hot" a lot more often but this doesn't happen as often anymore.

lampofred

Hey @lampofred

I remember you used high doses of progesterone to reverse your hair loss.

Could you please tell me what brand of progesterone, what daily doses and for how long did you use it please?

The progesterone wasn't the main thing. If I took high doses of progesterone without the coffee, aspirin, fructose, zero PUFA, vitamin K, etc. I don't think it would have really helped that much. But to answer your question, I never really tracked it... I just took about 4-6 drops whenever I felt like it, sometimes this was twice a day, other times it was twice a week, there was no schedule to it.

OP
B

Bushido1

The progesterone wasn't the main thing. If I took high doses of progesterone without the coffee, aspirin, fructose, zero PUFA, vitamin K, etc. I don't think it would have really helped that much. But to answer your question, I never really tracked it... I just took about 4-6 drops whenever I felt like it, sometimes this was twice a day, other times it was twice a week, there was no schedule to it.

@lampofred

I quote from what you wrote in another post:
"I took massive doses of progesterone because I was sure I had estrogen dominance.

Progesterone didn't impact my libido at all when I had symptoms of estrogen dominance. I took like 100 mg a day, which is a tremendous amount.."

What brand were you taking?

lampofred

@lampofred

I quote from what you wrote in another post:
"I took massive doses of progesterone because I was sure I had estrogen dominance.

Progesterone didn't impact my libido at all when I had symptoms of estrogen dominance. I took like 100 mg a day, which is a tremendous amount.."

What brand were you taking?

The 100 mg a day definitely was not consistent. There were several days I went that high, but I definitely did not take that much for weeks or months at a time. I maybe took that much for 2-3 days, then didn't take any for 3 days, and then took a lot again, basically whenever I felt estrogen symptoms.

I took Progest-E first and then Health Natura, but I got scared that other brands might be contaminated with estrogens, so I went back to Progest-E.

I've heard better recommendations for other brands over Progest-E though, on this forum.

Nemo

BTW "cancer" metabolism doesn't actually mean cancer, all low thyroid metabolism is "cancer" or "diabetic" metabolism. Aspirin fixes it.

Exactly. I was just going to say aspirin, aspirin, aspirin. Bushido1, Danny Roddy has a new video out on aspirin to stop hair loss, all based on Dr. Peat:

mimmo123

High temps doesnt mean high metabolism
I been low pufa for a year and a half and been doing everything to increase it.
t3,dnp,low pufa,aspirin,caffeine,methylene blue, salt, baking soda etc and have not reached 6% co2 at all yes at times I can hit 5% or so but very briefly
But I have doubled it since I started consistently. Takes time to improve and is hard to stay consistent

And if you do have high metabolism you will need a lot of food/nutrition to support it
which is hard to manage and afford most wont and will end up trying to lower there metabolism on purpose

Energizer

I would suggest taking armpit instead of oral temperature as it tends to be more accurate imo. You can take multiple readings of that and your pulse for better accuracy. Consider the temperature of the room as well as some indoor temperatures can mask hypothyroidism when it's warm enough. I would also recommend looking at other things which indicate thyroid function, such as your cholesterol.

You can also do an Achilles reflex test on yourself. I doubt that your metabolism is as high as you think it is, due to you losing massive amounts of hair. Many people misread hypothyroidism as euthyroidism. I don't have any hair loss, but I have been taking a thyroid supplement for years, and before the thyroid supplement, my hair was dryer and did not look as healthy.

It's not necessary for everyone, but it can be helpful for people in chronic inflammatory states / hypothyroid to start with 1/8 or 1/4 grain to see if it helps. A thyroid supplement lowers TSH and quiets the pituitary which should lower inflammation that might lead to hair loss. My skin is now very oily as well, which is a good thing, it used to be dry. Nutrient dense foods like liver and oysters should help at mitigating hair loss. And getting lots of calcium as well as calcium to phosphorous (as calcium is anti-inflammatory). Eggshell calcium is an easy way to get extra calcium on top of milk.

Avoiding certain foods might also help with your hairloss. Starch can often cause high estrogen and histamine production due to endotoxin.

Last edited: