Is Ona's Progesterone Oil Legit / Legal

Acarpous

According to healthnatura, the maximum amount of progesterone for the OTC market is 3mg but Ona is selling a concentrated oil product that contains ~5mg per drop. I would guess the FDA would be / is keeping track of this sort of thing, but do not know how to go about confirming who is correct beyond whatever the respective vendor happens to say.

Is there any definitive documentation on the subject?

TripleOG

I'm also leery of Ona's 10% Progesterone Oil. Was going to make a similar thread on this today after some experience with it.

For reference:
Ona's 10% Concentrated Natural Progesterone Oil, Vitamin E, 2 oz Eye Dropper

There's some confusion in ingredients

On the site:
  • 10% Natural USP Progesterone.
  • Natural Vitamin E (Tocopherol) derived from soy oil.**
  • FCO Coconut oil.
**Another section of the sales page states "Sunflower derived Vitamin E (Contains Soy)"

Ingredients on the bottle I order within the past 30 days:
  • Vitamin E
  • USP Progesterone from wild yam
Also, one drop is the same as most other products: 25-35mg total weight. Maybe if you live in a cold climate or keep it refrigerated, the increased viscosity bumps up the weight to the advertised 50mg. However, in a typical 72 degree environment, 1 drop for me has always measured 25-35 mg on the scale.

As for quality, this is where I throw in the towel. Effects are nowhere near that of IdeaLabs and HealthNatura progesterone products. I've given ~9mg progesterone (gum/sublingual application) to 3 separate people and all have experienced intense migraines the following 18-24hrs. Myself included. Effects were repeatable.

Some other signs the quality is questionable:
  • No sedation effects. Higher dose progesterone typically makes me drowsy. Ona's just gives me worse headaches the higher I dose.
  • No mild anesthetic effect at the area of application. Normally after I apply to gums, the bit of progesterone that contacts the tip of my tongue is slightly numbing. No such effect with Ona's.
Wish this wasn't the case because the value is there. Unfortunately, this looks like a "you get what you pay for" situation. Apparently Ona passed away some years ago and the company went through a rough period before bouncing back. I don't know if this impacted the quality of ingredients. What I do know is this product is not in the same league as other progesterone products I've tried (HealthNatura, IdeaLabs).

Last edited:

Eric Green

According to healthnatura, the maximum amount of progesterone for the OTC market is 3mg but Ona is selling a concentrated oil product that contains ~5mg per drop. I would guess the FDA would be / is keeping track of this sort of thing, but do not know how to go about confirming who is correct beyond whatever the respective vendor happens to say.

Had no idea the FDA has a limit to progesterone concentration at all. A far as we know progesterone is completely unregulated unless sold as a drug. Because Onas Natural products are careful to avoid describing them as a drug, we can pretty much get away with any concentration which includes our 10% and 20% oils and creams.

Eric Green

I'm also leery of Ona's 10% Progesterone Oil. Was going to make a similar thread on this today after some experience with it.

For reference:
Ona's 10% Concentrated Natural Progesterone Oil, Vitamin E, 2 oz Eye Dropper

There's some confusion in ingredients

On the site:
  • 10% Natural USP Progesterone.
  • Natural Vitamin E (Tocopherol) derived from soy oil.**
  • FCO Coconut oil.
**Another section of the sales page states "Sunflower derived Vitamin E (Contains Soy)"

Ingredients on the bottle I order within the past 30 days:
  • Vitamin E
  • USP Progesterone from wild yam
Also, one drop is the same as most other products: 25-35mg total weight. Maybe if you live in a cold climate or keep it refrigerated, the increased viscosity bumps up the weight to the advertised 50mg. However, in a typical 72 degree environment, 1 drop for me has always measured 25-35 mg on the scale.

As for quality, this is where I throw in the towel. Effects are nowhere near that of IdeaLabs and HealthNatura progesterone products. I've given ~9mg progesterone (gum/sublingual application) to 3 separate people and all have experienced intense migraines the following 18-24hrs. Myself included. Effects were repeatable.

Some other signs the quality is questionable:
  • No sedation effects. Higher dose progesterone typically makes me drowsy. Ona's just gives me worse headaches the higher I dose.
  • No mild anesthetic effect at the area of application. Normally after I apply to gums, the bit of progesterone that contacts the tip of my tongue is slightly numbing. No such effect with Ona's.
Wish this wasn't the case because the value is there. Unfortunately, this looks like a "you get what you pay for" situation. Apparently Ona passed away some years ago and the company went through a rough period before bouncing back. I don't know if this impacted the quality of ingredients. What I do know is this product is not in the same league as other progesterone products I've tried (HealthNatura, IdeaLabs).
Progesterone dissolved in natural vitamin e is not brain surgery to make. The progesterone in this product doesn't even need to be micronized which drops the progesterone cost in half. We use micronized progesterone anyways.
I was shocked at the excessive prices this product was going for and made one at a reasonable profit, about 300%. Why is the price so high elsewhere? Customers judge quality partly on price so I guess the prices just kept rising each claiming to be better, but they are literally all the same, once you take away the slick advertising and claims.

As for the posting that our product doesn't do this or that as proof is suspect. The fact that we radically undercut the market of course will result in such a hatchet job about this product. Even our lower price is used as a reason that our product must be a cheap knockoff.
For us the the 10% progesterone in natural vitamin e is just a minor side product to us as a service to our customers but I understand it's the main product for other companies and our low prices are a threat.
This is not a super money maker for us with our creams being our main focus. Frankly this product costs a lot because of the natural vitamin e and progesterone to make this product, plus it is hard to keep in stock. I don't even recommend this product as it comes into the system too quick and leaves too quickly to be very practical for many uses. Breakthrough seizures using progesterone vitamin e oil were a lot more likely than just using a high strength cream.

Last edited:

tankasnowgod

First off, Healthnatura is a company selling a product, not a government agency. As for any limit they state, it's maxed out at 3mg per what unit? Dose? Bottle? Ml? That is unclear. Second, there are many government and pseudo govenrment agencies at all levels (city, state, county, federal, international) that could have put a restriction on this, that without a source, it's very unclear what they are referring to, if anything.

Lastly, the FDA likely isn't keeping track of anything. Like all other Federal agencies, they are cash strapped and overworked (by design), and generally only respond to complaints. In addition to this, the FDA is operating outside the bounds of the Constitution, just like all other Federal agencies.

Eric Green

First off, Healthnatura is a company selling a product, not a government agency. As for any limit they state, it's maxed out at 3mg per what unit? Dose? Bottle? Ml? That is unclear. Second, there are many government and pseudo govenrment agencies at all levels (city, state, county, federal, international) that could have put a restriction on this, that without a source, it's very unclear what they are referring to, if anything.

Lastly, the FDA likely isn't keeping track of anything. Like all other Federal agencies, they are cash strapped and overworked (by design), and generally only respond to complaints. In addition to this, the FDA is operating outside the bounds of the Constitution, just like all other Federal agencies.

The 3 mg is per drop. I assume about 1/20 ml a drop if I had to guess.

Definitely the FDA has not cracked down on progesterone products in years. Though strangely I was contacted by the Australian FDA when I attributed too many good things about the vitamin e in our progesterone creams.

The main restrictions on progesterone products are now coming from private monolithic companies like PayPal, Google and shopify payments. PayPal won't allow any progesterone higher than 4% so there goes European sales and etsy. Google stopped allowing ads for OTC progesterone products over a year ago. Shopify won't allow progesterone product sales using their payment gateway, for new customers.

Last edited:

TripleOG

Progesterone dissolved in natural vitamin e is not brain surgery to make. The progesterone in this product doesn't even need to be micronized which drops the progesterone cost in half. We use micronized progesterone anyways.

I was shocked at the excessive prices this product was going for and made one at a reasonable profit, about 300%. Why is the price so high elsewhere? Customers judge quality partly on price so I guess the prices just kept rising each claiming to be better, but they are literally all the same, once you take away the slick advertising and claims.

As for the posting that our product doesn't do this or that as proof is suspect. The fact that we radically undercut the market of course will result in such a hatchet job about this product. Even our lower price is used as a reason that our product must be a cheap knockoff.

For us the the 10% progesterone in natural vitamin e is just a minor side product to us as a service to our customers but I understand it's the main product for other companies and our low prices are a threat.
This is not a super money maker for us with our creams being our main focus. Frankly this product costs a lot because of the natural vitamin e and progesterone to make this product, plus it is hard to keep in stock. I don't even recommend this product as it comes into the system too quick and leaves too quickly to be very practical for many uses. Breakthrough seizures using progesterone vitamin e oil were a lot more likely than just using a high strength cream.

Idk what to tell you. All I have is my families experience with the recent batch of your product. I tried emailing about returns/exchanges and for general discourse, incase this was just a one-off situation, but got no response.

Trust me I'm rooting for a product like this. Price is great. It's born out of a genuine need. I get it. Our negative reactions were a little too intense to ignore, though. My only guess is the difference in vitamin E between brands being the culprit. It's been discussed here often not all vit. E products are the same, even if they are "mixed tocopherols."

And I assume most progesterone in E oil pricing is just following Progest-E's lead. With Peat being one of the main sources for progesterone info, and his named being aligned with Progest-E, it makes business sense I guess.

boris

Also I email RP about my problems, he asked which Progesterone I use. I told him - Simply Progesterone, Molecular Progesterone complex in MCT & vE from Forefronthealth, and now I start Ona's Progesterone. He respond about the last one:
''The description of ingredients on their website doesn’t make sense, it seems they don’t have any idea what they are selling. I suspect that you might feel better without the supplements. ''
I love it - twice chipper, not so sticky, not so bitter like from healthnatura, :(.Then he add:''The only progesterone product I’m familiar with is Progest-E Complex, from Kenogen. It doesn’t contain any extraneous material.''

What about this?

Anyone had success with Ona's Prog+E Oil?

I have a bottle that I wanted to give to a friend, but after reading this thread I'm not sure if it will help her. I tried it and 5mg on the gums or skin gives me rather negative mood effects, could be placebo and caused by other factors though.

Eric Green

Ona's Natural Progesterone Cream,
Eric Green,
Onasnatural.com.

Our 10% Progesterone Vitamin E oil sells too quickly, hard to keep it in stock both in Europe and the USA. It's the most costly product we produce because Natural Vitamin E and progesterone are both expensive. I am strongly considering raising the price to be more in line with the rest of our products.

We had to switch away from Sunflower based natural progesterone to GMO Free soy based because of the harsh taste.

We do have NMR spectra of our progesterone I would be happy to post. We have a San Diego lab test our new lots of progesterone.

Our other products 3%, 10% and 20% creams are popular in Europe and the USA on our USA, UK and German sites. We sell several of these creams on Amazon as well.

Our customers used to have strong reactions to our 10% creams at 100 mg serving size years ago, but it turned out 100 gm to 200 mg doses will stimulate estrogen for up to two or three weeks for those that are not used to that strength. Taking more overrides this effect till it goes away.

boris

Thanks a lot for the response Eric. This cleared up some doubts. I will give an update in this thread when I get a response about the effects.

sugarisgreat

This is an excellent product with good customer service.
I have ideal labs, Ona's, and Ray Peats brand with the vitamin E. I notice the most effect from Ona's.
But like someone on another thread mentioned, I think women need estrogen and DHEA to balance things out over maybe 35-45.
I just bought "Estroven" and felt better right away (more balanced).

Happycat

Any one have any recent experiences with Onas progesterone? Thanks!
I love their 10% progesterone oil, it is excellent, just as good as (if not better than) Progest -e, which I find is too sticky.

sugarisgreat

Thanks. Estroven? What’s that?
It is an over the counter supplement for premenopausal/menopausal women.
You can read some reviews on Amazon and they also have it at Walmart.
A lady just commented on this forum, challenging Ray Peat's idea about women needing some estrogen, and I agree.
I think it works (I am 50, and have had "low hormones" since I was 17 and engaged in extreme dieting)-progesterone and DHEA are not enough for me.

golder

I've tried a lot of different brands and I found onas to be one of the worst.
Interesting. You don’t seem to be the only one to say that. Real shame as there aren’t many good UK sources, and especially at competitive prices either!

ddjd

Interesting. You don’t seem to be the only one to say that. Real shame as there aren’t many good UK sources, and especially at competitive prices either!
Simply Progesterone from health natura is good and haiduts is also very good. They both do customs friendly shipping to UK if you know what I mean wink wink

Mito

Ona’s Progesterone E oil is half the cost of Health Natura.

Progesterone E = $6.43 per gram progesterone
Progest E = $9.43 per gram progesterone
Simply Progesterone = $12.96 per gram of progesterone

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals