Cyproheptadine's Effect On Dopamine

Frankdee20

i didn't mean to imply that i drink a gallon of coffee daily - i don't. i drink two strong cups nowadays. do you have any suggestions as to what i could do to correct the negative effects of my ashwagandha usage?

I wouldn’t think Ashwaganda usage causes the same degree of issues as post SSRI use. I could be wrong though, since I didn’t use it that long. And I also didn’t think 5htp would’ve created such an imbalance in me that it took years to correct, so yes, I could be wrong. My guess would be time. I believe Ginko helps correct the 1A receptors though. It’s often used for PSSD. Zinc can help 1A as well.

bboone

I wouldn’t think Ashwaganda usage causes the same degree of issues as post SSRI use. I could be wrong though, since I didn’t use it that long. And I also didn’t think 5htp would’ve created such an imbalance in me that it took years to correct, so yes, I could be wrong. My guess would be time. I believe Ginko helps correct the 1A receptors though. It’s often used for PSSD. Zinc can help 1A as well.

theoretically it makes no sense and i dont really think the «PSSD» symptoms fit very well, and from what i understand it’s a different mechanism. i may hear w a doctor about cypro. the strange thing abt it is that sexual performance etc is exactly the way it used to be, and ive never in my life had any problem getting or maintaining an erection. the easiest way of describing it would be like saying the mind is partially turned off during sex, which sounds very weird...

vulture

For the people who find cypro making them tired/depleted. It is probably due to the dose. If you look at the Wikipedia page, the concentration needed to antagonize the 5-HT1 and 5-HT2 "receptors" is about 2-3 nM/L. This is achievable with even 1mg cypro. The dopamine "receptors" D1, D2, and D3 are also antagonized by cypro. For D1 and D2, the concentration needed is about 100nM/L, which is achievable with 8mg single dose cypro.
Cyproheptadine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Given that long half life of cypro (9 hours) taking 4mg a few times a day can also probably achieve it over a few days. The D3 receptor is antagonized at concentrations of 8 nM/L, so taking lower dose cypro seems to have predominantly anti-serotonin effect withouht antagonizing dopamine except possibly D3. It is the dopamine antagonism at higher doses that probably makes some people feel like not doing anything.
Once again, Peat's knowledge is hard to deny given his recommendations of taking cypro at 1mg for general purposes and 2mg only for very serious conditions like cancer.
Haidut,
After some stressful days and messed up sleep I tried cypro again after more than a year of discontinuing it's use. Felt great on 1 mg. When I used to take it I would wake up with headache or feeling tired despite having slept 1 or 2 hours extra than normal. Last night I toke just 1 mg in the day and 1 mg at 6 PM, so, lyed on bed at 10 PM, fall asleep quickly, the effect should start to disappear about 3 AM. I woke up rested and can't remember of waking up at night (which I was several times per night). Great sleeping, doesn't feel wasted or any unpleasant effect. Seems like low dosages are better in this matter.

I'm also wondering about this antagonism on dopamine, if it's significant, if there's something to be done or not.

vulture

Like I said in my post - single doses of cypro would achieve those concentrations but if you take lower concentrations for longer it may get to that level given the long half life. I think 1mg twice a day or 2mg once a day is enough for most people to experience the benefits without antagonizing the D3 receptor too much.
Could this antagonism to D3 be compensated using Mucuna Pruriens or similar Dopamine promoting substances? After stopping Cyproheptadine would you expect a rat dopamine system to recover in weeks? Months?
Thanks

japanesedude

I've tried Cypro+Lisurude and Cypro+B2 but they stimulated my metabolism too much and I felt uncomfortable.

WonMore

Did you eat more than usual on it?

I can take 12-16mg 2x a day and it won't effect appetite. I've tried 60-100mg just for a couple of days and it was like I had a hole in my stomach that was impossible to fill.
Any other effects on such a big doses? Have you tried to tackle anything in particular?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals