Where Do You Go After Peat?

Tarmander

You are in a very fortunate place. A new horizon beckons with new knowledge to be had. Does anything about Peat seem off? Did anything seem to work at first but fail later? Or not work as he said it should? You could start there.

Or start with Grant Genereux

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Any of Peat's principles that you still use?
I figured out why the stereotypical Peat diet of fruit and dairy worked for me in the beginning and why things went really bad after awhile. I can now think more critically about everything. I don’t think i would have ever got to the point of having enough confidence to trust my own experience had I not found Peat’s writing.

I guess as far as diet related Peat principles go I still like to get plenty of glycine, eat adequate protein and use egg shell calcium. I don’t use seed oils. I’m just in solid good health now and not taking supplements or meds and I’m back at a good weight, body composition, solid metal health/cognitive function and energy level. That came from getting off excessive vitamin A and oxalate which wasn’t from Peat but things I probably wouldn’t have considered before.

I’m grateful for where I’m at especially considering I’ll be 50 soon. I appreciate him more as a teacher that teaches people to think critically and dig deep into their own circumstance rather than some infallible person who is always right about everything.

Edit: Peat also said (paraphrasing) that things shouldn’t make sense until they make perfect sense. I finally got to the point where my own past issues now make perfect sense to me and I know what I need to do to avoid those problems. It’s definitely going to be different depending on the person because there are so many areas where things can go wrong.

Last edited:

redsun

Depends what your issues are from doing the Peat thing. If you’re like me and you’re left with a fat belly, proteinuria, chronically high blood pressure, erectile dysfunction, hypogonadism, intolerability of pretty much all foods and a very bad gut biome, you will also be wondering where to go next.

Bear in mind that whereas I may have been cold when I first joined this forum (and didn’t feel overly healthy), I certainly didn’t have any of those problems above, which I consider to be warning signs that things are going very very wrong indeed. I’m sure I’m not the only one either. I bet there are loads of people on this forum who are suffering quietly because they don’t want to admit that they’ve failed with this. For me, I don’t really care though lol. I haven’t got any rep to protect.

Peat, and the people on this forum won’t have the answers for you. Because they will never put themselves in a position where they are medically advising people. People make suggestions, and some have been kind enough to do so in this thread.

The positives for me, from going Peat, have been that my temperatures are now amazing (bang solidly consistent), my pulse is great, my cognition and memory is the best it’s ever been. All signs of a thyroid that is humming along nicely. My TSH was pretty much 1 last time I had my labs done. 5 years ago it was very high indeed.

So yeah, where do you go from here?

If you discover what the answer is, please let me know.

What about high carb/low(ish) fat fruitarianism? Perhaps you could tweak it so it becomes more Peaty. Oh hang on, the food supply sucks. There goes that idea then. Plus fruit has to be eaten in bulk to satisfy hunger cravings, unless you want to turn into a stick insect.

Well, the fruit here in the U.K. is something that I wouldn’t even feed to my dog.

I might just go raw meat. The raw meat/eggs/milk crowd don’t seem to be doing too bad. Throw in a few oranges (maybe just the juice). They don’t look stressed to me.

I’m at that stage where I’m not bothered about turning into a complete social freak.

I think its more so that the raw carnivores are eating lots of quality protein and less the fact that meat is raw is why so many of them see benefit. There are probably too many here that are on too low protein. 120g seems like a minimum if you are an average male that does weight training non-seriously.
Are bad reactions to coffee mostly caused from bad liver?
Coffee with food helps a bit, but more then two cups i cant take... one makes problems also and leavs me bloated... also people who tolerate coffee can drink it always, food no food, day or night... and fall a sleep...
So?

Coffee always reduces water retention for me. It could be dumping liver fat and causing bloating that way. I get stomach bloating from taurine which I attribute to increased bile flow cleaning out the liver, coffee acts similarly thats why its recommended alongside taurine for liver function.

Peatful

Hi @lampofred

I’ve been where you are- sans the RPF.

I found Ray through his Generative Energy book.
Read, re-read and read dozens of his articles on his site.... but still was mixing and experimenting with things I THOUGHT would heal me.
The things that made sense to me; and ultimately had to unlearn...

You may want to go that route?
Just experiment like crazy- and be really in touch and open.

As an aside, if I had found the RPF prior to my healing- when my body was in chaos- It would have been stressful and confusing.
Maybe take a break from here...

The question someone raises above regarding your lifestyle and stress level is super important.

Also want to add- a health coach?
Kate Deering or Josh Rubin.
They could probably offer structure and simplicity among other things.
(I can not vouch for Kate, but a close friend did Jeanne Rubin with much success.)

Two plus years later I’m discovering more and more that Ray is pretty correct across the board- and how far far away from health or understanding I was without him.

Nemo

There is mainstream, there is alternative, and then there is Peat, which is alternative even in alternative medicine. It's basically 180 degrees from mainstream, so if Peat stops working, where else is left to go?

I've been stagnating for over a year in terms of energy levels, focus, and fatigue, but what else is left to try?

I would fine-tune vitamins and minerals next, in particular B vitamins, magnesium, and manganese, all of which are critical to energy levels and your body using thyroid hormones properly. Amazing what a 100 g serving of watermelon, 1 oz of liver, an oyster or two, and 100 g of brown rice everyday will do for you in terms of energy, weight, mood, insomnia, and relieving chronic pain.

Also glycine. A cup of bone broth a day (that contains 10 g protein) is a terrific pain killer and mood enhancer. I was so tired of reading about bone broth that I had been blowing it off for years until I was desperate. Very sorry I waited so long.

After that, red light and grounding. Just make time to go out for 15 minutes roughly 60-90 minutes after sunrise and lie down on a lawn, or walk across it barefoot, or walk barefoot on the beach. Cover as little of your skin as possible. I noticed a mood and energy improvement from that long before I ever read anything about red light and grounding.

I assume you're already using aspirin.

After that, let's see how you're doing and take it from there. I would never ever ever give up hope.

Last edited:
OP
L

lampofred

Thanks for all the responses.

I like Peat's work a lot because it is the only thing I have found that delineates the specific causes behind chronic degenerative health issues, and PUFA depletion really does work, but it is so slow that it will take another 4 years before my energy levels are like that of the older low-PUFA generations at my age, even though I have already been restricting for almost 4 years, unless I start doing some thing else.

Not to sound too otherworldly, but I agree with the responses that are recommending me to live a life more in tune with my soul, get out of learned helplessness, become more intuitive, etc. I think my issue at the core is that all my carbs are going to lactic acid instead of CO2, which I think is related to mental stress, chronic hyperventilation, which I think relates to a living a lifestyle you don't feel comfortable with. But to change your life situation requires a lot of energy, and I am trying to change my life situation in order to improve my energy, so it's quite the Catch-22 lol. (I actually think Vitamin A toxicity issues might be related to that because I read potassium channels are activated by CO2 and inhibited by Vitamin A, which implies if your CO2 is not optimal, then you won't be able to handle Vitamin A. But I digress.)

I think that moving to a high altitude would help, and that is something I am definitely planning on doing in the long-term.

So for now I am going to focus on starting experimenting again. I've been trying to increase my intake of alkalizing minerals (calcium specifically), but I'll try adding some baking soda daily, and eating more oysters for the copper and zinc. Maybe a bit of pregnenolone would help to lower stress and increase appetite so I can get to 3000 calories daily instead of just 1800-2000.

I might have worded my OP a bit poorly. I made it seem like Peat doesn't work, but it does work and in fact, it is the only thing that has ever worked for me, as evident by the fact that I've been on here for years. I'm very grateful for that because for most people, once they experience signs of aging, there's no going back. But at the same time, I need to figure out how to progress faster because I can't continue living in a semi-hibernation state lol.

Vinero

Amazing what a 100 g serving of watermelon, 1 oz of liver, an oyster or two, and 100 g of brown rice everyday will do for you in terms of energy, weight, mood, insomnia, and relieving chronic pain
Isn't brown rice high in arsenic?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I think my issue at the core is that all my carbs are going to lactic acid instead of CO2,
Have you attempted to add B-complex daily on top of that? Reason I ask because if not, a very good diet has serious trouble providing sufficient Bs to deal with one day let alone deal with the backlog of B-deficiencies that many of us have accumulated before adopting higher nutrient diets. Stress, poor diet, injury, infection, history of dieting, depletes B-vitamins substantially.
B3-dependency conditions where some people need high amounts of B3 just to feel normal.
I would fine-tune vitamins and minerals next, in particular B vitamins, magnesium, and manganese, all of which are critical to energy levels and your body using thyroid hormones properly. Amazing what a 100 g serving of watermelon, 1 oz of liver, an oyster or two, and 100 g of brown rice everyday will do for you in terms of energy, weight, mood, insomnia, and relieving chronic pain.

OP
L

lampofred

I agree that low B-vitamins probably play a role, but B-vitamin supplements have always caused me major gut problems in the past, and more importantly, I actually think the cause of B-vitamin/magnesium/zinc deficiencies, especially in developed countries where animal product consumption is high, is stress/hyperventilation. Because hyperventilation stimulates estrogen and estrogen stimulates hyperventilation in a vicious circle and burns through these specific nutrients. I think we need very little in the way of calories/vitamins if the mind is calm and stress is low.

Birdie

I thought brown rice was way higher than white rice.
I've read that white California rice is lower in arsenic. Lundberg's. And then, something about short or medium grain being better.
Sorry, no links. Just from memory. I spent a lot of time on it last year and just remember my conclusions!

Lolinaa

I figured out why the stereotypical Peat diet of fruit and dairy worked for me in the beginning and why things went really bad after awhile. I can now think more critically about everything. I don’t think i would have ever got to the point of having enough confidence to trust my own experience had I not found Peat’s writing.

I guess as far as diet related Peat principles go I still like to get plenty of glycine, eat adequate protein and use egg shell calcium. I don’t use seed oils. I’m just in solid good health now and not taking supplements or meds and I’m back at a good weight, body composition, solid metal health/cognitive function and energy level. That came from getting off excessive vitamin A and oxalate which wasn’t from Peat but things I probably wouldn’t have considered before.

I’m grateful for where I’m at especially considering I’ll be 50 soon. I appreciate him more as a teacher that teaches people to think critically and dig deep into their own circumstance rather than some infallible person who is always right about everything.

Edit: Peat also said (paraphrasing) that things shouldn’t make sense until they make perfect sense. I finally got to the point where my own past issues now make perfect sense to me and I know what I need to do to avoid those problems. It’s definitely going to be different depending on the person because there are so many areas where things can go wrong.

Lucky you. Its really good to have attained this position. Sometimes I feel like I am almost there and other times not that much.

But I understand what you mean about the fact to apply his ideas how it works for you.

Just out of curiosity I wanted to know if you have completely stopped thyroid hormones.

Each time I try to stop because my temps and pulse are good, I got premenstrual symptoms back again like lumpy breast and a bit tenderness which are signs of estrogen dominance and I do go back to thyroid again.

Maybe instead of quitting cold turkey I should diminish the dose until I don't need it anymore.

@lampofred: I understand your frustration. Sometimes during month I feel marvelous and suddenly it stops working and I have to readjust. And as you said its not easy with a stressful environment and less energy to be able to think clearly. With the Peat's diet you have to figure out things on your own. Its not like you have a prescription buy the medicine and get a relief of symptoms. So its harder. I wouldnt advice a b complex though maybe you need to up some of b family intake like b1, b2 andb3. Personally I would just eat more liver.

Lolinaa

Just try harder. Eat more carrots salads, orange juice, cheese, milk, gelatin, liver etc.
This is the approach I took many years ago when Peating caused me to develop some pretty disturbing sensations. (eczema, head presurre, white coated tongue).
Ofcourse, trying harder and eating more strictly Peaty did nothing to improve my worsening health condition. So I decided I would just quit, at least until my health was somewhat better again. I decided to eat only white rice and meat for now, since these foods have absolutely no allergens in them. I was eating chicken-breast, turkey and beef for my meats. Within 3 days my white coated tongue was pink again, and I felt a sense of relief. I felt less brain-fogged. This was a big hint. My system was completely fine with meat and rice. Just give it a try, if it works for you and you want to know more google Grant Genereux.

So for how long did you have only rice and meat? Seems very restrictive though to attain good health.

Are you back to a more diverse and peaty way of eating?

burtlancast

One is never through with alternative medicine.

Also, 50% and more of the world population is deficient in magnesium, iodine and Vit D. Health is strictly impossible if these are missing.

Ray never emphasized concretely these deficiencies, to my knowledge. And he's also wrong on iodine.

Try these 3 things and then add other supplements, and see how you feel.

Marcine

I suggest that you read Doris Loh's current work on genetics and AA ( acorbic acid supplementing) as well as her idea of how genetics affect what we should eat. Quantum living in the Yucatan facebook page. I am using what I consider a saner approach to Peat: the Rubins at Eastwesthealing. I suspect you have something in the way of redox. If you aren't adjusting your lifestyle no diet is going to destress you and if you are still metabolically challenged then I suspect a blindspot or a trauma that needs to be released from your cells. NET was effective for me with that. You could even have an unconscious belief that you are unworthy of health keeping you in dis-ease. An embodiment practice is very helpful too. Radical Wholeness by Philip Shepard is brilliant. May you be blessed.

Fletcher

Peat 2.0 where you really understand how his ideas apply to your own very unique situation.:):
+1
Keep it simple, use the cheaper "safe" options (M.Blue, aspirin, etc.) and see if you feel better.
Whether you use thyroid, progesterone, milk, OJ, etc. depends on your individual situation.
Danny Roddy said he couldn't drink milk at all at one point, now he can. Remember it's about your context, not a set of rules that don't fit you. Good luck!

Herbie

Liberate yourself from the tyranical claws that grasp you from the gurus, authorities and their disciples and find your own way. Become a maverick.

John mcclain

I've done pretty much all diets...and went balls deep on them all....currently doing carnivore and loving it with alot of raw meats unpasteurized cheese n raw milk and eggs...peat has been great but I find myself still searching.always wanting to add a supp so I said **** this no more powders or pills n give it go...science says no but so far GREAT!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals