Iodine, Supplement Reactions, Hormones And More - KMUD, 2016-02-19

That's more Eskin and Ghent stuff. Can you find a study by authors that don't have patents in iodine treatment??

This is a blatant conflict of interest.

:rolleyes:

There are some here: chemistry_trall

But ultimately the research on the subject seems limited.

I found studies that suggest different uptake mechanisms for I2 and I-:

This study shows the ability of cancerous prostate to take up I− and I2. NIS expression and the inhibition of I− uptake by ClO4− (specific inhibitor of NIS symporter) in normal and cancerous prostate confirm that iodide uptake is NIS dependent. ...

With regard to I2 uptake, no significant blockade by ClO4− was observed in any group, corroborating an NIS-independent mechanism. These data agree with studies in human cell lines of prostate and breast cancer (8,25). There is evidence that I2 uptake depends on protein synthesis, independent of ATP and Na+/K− ATPase (8). A NIS-independent mechanism for I2 uptake has also been demonstrated in sea urchin larvae and seaweeds (7,35), suggesting that this mechanism could be widespread in nature.

(Iodine Uptake and Prostate Cancer in the TRAMP Mouse Model)

Some more:

A large body of data has demonstrated that several tissues share with the thyroid gland the capacity to actively accumulate iodide, including salivary glands, gastric mucosa, lactating mammary gland, the choroid plexus, ciliary body of the eye, lacrimal gland, thymus, skin, placenta, ovary, uterus, prostate and so on, and may either maintain or lose this ability under pathological conditions. The iodide transport system in these extrathyroidal tissues reveals several functional similarities to its thyroid counterpart, suchas inhibition by thiocyanate and perchlorate (KClO4), suggesting the presence of the specific iodine transporter called the sodium iodine symporter (NIS). However, only some of these organs express the enzymatic machinery to oxidize I-to I2, which is bound to cell components and exhibits physiological effects.
In thyroid and lactating mammary gland, I2 uptake is three times less than thyroid, and only about half of this I2 capture is inhibited by KClO4. In contrast, in nubile animals, mammary tissue and prostate captured 300 times less iodine than thyroid and four times less than lactating mammary gland, and NIS does not participate in their internalization. These findings strongly support previous data showing that this chemical form of iodine contributes to the maintenance of the normal integrity of the mammary gland.
The importance of I 2 as an oxidized chemical form of iodine agrees with our recent demonstration ( Alfaro-Hernandez, 2004 ) that the addition of I 2 , but not potassium iodide (KI), to mammary gland homogenates from virgin rats significantly decreases lipoperoxidation measured by the thiobarbituric acid reaction and expressed as malondialdehyde. The inability of I - to decrease lipoperoxidation may be explained by the absence of lactoperoxidase (LPO) in mammary glands from virgin rats, which is only present during pregnancy and lactation ( Strum, 1978 ).
Thus, we hypothesize that iodine generated by LPO activity is bound to an abundant and specific protein (e.g., thyroglobulin in the thyroid and casein in lactating mammary gland), whereas I2 or another oxidized form of iodine, obtained by deiodination or in the diet, binds to lipids and/or other membrane or nuclear components, and acts as an antioxidant and/or antiproliferative agent ( Aceves et al. , 2005 ). This notion is supported by our finding that in the tumoral mammary cell line MCF-7, I 2 but not I- supplement, is accompanied by antiproliferative effects and the appearance of iodinated proteins and lipids ( Arroyo-Helguera et al. , 2006 )

(https://www.researchgate.net/profil...-Agent-for-theMammary-and-Prostate-Glands.pdf)

Last edited:

Travis

I clicked on the researchgate link and found this comment in the abstract:
The antiproliferative effect of iodine might be mediated by the formation of iodolipids.
This could very well be true. If breast tissue has a greater uptake of lipids it would likely have a greater uptake in iodinated lipids as well. If the studies she was referencing when she said this paragraph:
In thyroid and lactating mammary gland, I₂ uptake is three times less than thyroid, and only about half of this I capture is inhibited by KClO₄. In contrast, in nubile animals, mammary tissue and prostate captured 300 times less iodine than thyroid and four times less than lactating mammary gland, and NIS does not participate in their internalization. These findings strongly support previous data showing that this chemical form of iodine contributes to the maintenance of the normal integrity of the mammary gland.
...were radioiodide studies, then you could not determine by the Geiger counter alone what chemical species the iodine was in. It seems more plausible to me that the breasts accumulate iodinated lipids than I₂. Perchlorate cannot displace iodinated lipids.

The importance of I₂ as an oxidized chemical form of iodine agrees with our recent demonstration that the addition of I₂ , but not potassium iodide (KI), to mammary gland homogenates from virgin rats significantly decreases lipoperoxidation measured by the thiobarbituric acid reaction and expressed as malondialdehyde. The inability of I⁻ to decrease lipoperoxidation may be explained by the absence of lactoperoxidase (LPO) in mammary glands from virgin rats, which is only present during pregnancy and lactation.
It should be no surprise to anyone that I₂ would inhibit lipid peroxidation since it effectively saturates reactive fatty acids. Maybe the lipid-bound iodinated fatty acid acts like vitamin E in terminating free radical chain reactions?

The last paragraph that you cited is the best one.
Thus, we hypothesize that iodine generated by LPO activity is bound to an abundant and specific protein (e.g., thyroglobulin in the thyroid and casein in lactating mammary gland), whereas I or another oxidized form of iodine, obtained by deiodination or in the diet, binds to lipids and/or other membrane or nuclear components, and acts as an antioxidant and/or antiproliferative agent. This notion is supported by our finding that in the tumoral mammary cell line MCF-7, I but not I supplement, is accompanied by antiproliferative effects and the appearance of iodinated proteins and lipids.
This actually makes sense to me.

Iodinated lipids were sometimes given as supplements to prevent goitre back in the day, even in schoolchildren. There should be enough studies to demonstrate their safety.

The article that was cited is called Uptake and antiproliferative effect of molecular iodine in the MCF-7 breast cancer cell line (full link).

Here are the concluding sentences in the abstract:

"Proliferation of NIH3T3 cells was not inhibited by 20 μM I₂. In conclusion, these results demonstrate that I uptake does not depend on NIS or PDS; they suggest that in mammary cancer cells, I₂ is taken up by a facilitated diffusion system and then covalently bound to lipids or proteins that, in turn, inhibit proliferation."–Arroyo-Helguera

Sirene

Good day! This is my first post on the forum. I have been researching and self helping for many years. I just love all the writers and Dr. Peat. I'm a retired RN with a science background. I find all the science here and how Dr. Peat has helped himself and others inspirational!
I need help with my hashimotos and nodules. I have brought my antibodies down over the years through my own trials of diet and well....you all know how we try to get better. My last tsh was near 3. That's the highest it's ever been. The stress I was under at the time has resolved. So hoping that was most of the reason. I was getting into the last part of the transcription as Ray really gets into the nodule physiology. Then the show ended.
I have read and listened to hours of Dr. Peat but missing or can't find specifics like this about what these nodules are made of? He did comment about this briefly in this show but I would looove more insight. I want mine to go the hell away! My doctor may start bugging me to have surgery if they keep growing. I had them shrinking for awhile but can't be sure why. I might have been on 200mcg of selenium daily. Some research I have read of sample tissue shows the epstein barr in these nodules. My to titre this is positive as many folks are but not considered active by Western medicine. I am on Peat Eats....lol.
About 2 months now. Pls enlighten me with your experience of Peat eating and reduction of nodules and /or threads....links...etc to him talking about nodules and shrinking them.
Apologies for the length of this. Perhaps as it is my virgin post you'll pardon me. Thank you all!!

Soika

I was glad to understand why peat said so much bad things about iodine. He mind that it is bad if you whould take it in high doses having hypothiroidizm and other not corrected problems with your health. But he doesnt mind that that it is wrong to take iodine in hugh doses in short time.. i agree with this opinion.