Ginger Thread

G

gummybear

While munching on some ginger candy I was wondering what ray thinks about ginger? Does he avoid it since it is a spice? I read somewhere that ginger lowers serotonin?

4peatssake

Yeah I'm not too sure if he's much of a fan but personally I love it!
I'm not aware of RP discussing ginger specifically. The only reference I am aware of is him
citing this study as a reference in his Vegetables etc.-Who Defines Food? article

Nutr Cancer 1988;11(4):251-7. Cytotoxicity of extracts of spices to cultured cells. Unnikrishnan MC, Kuttan R Amala Cancer Research Centre, Kerala, India. The cytotoxicity of the extracts from eight different spices used in the Indian diet was determined using Dalton's lymphoma ascites tumor cells and human lymphocytes in vitro and Chinese Hamster Ovary cells and Vero cells in tissue culture. Alcoholic extracts of the spices were found to be more cytotoxic to these cells than their aqueous extracts. Alcoholic extracts of several spices inhibited cell growth at concentrations of 0.2-1 mg/ml in vitro and 0.12-0.3 mg/ml in tissue culture. Ginger, pippali (native to India; also called dried catkins), pepper, and garlic showed the highest activity followed by asafetida, mustard, and horse-gram (native to India). These extracts also inhibited the thymidine uptake into DNA.
Be a good question for him, especially as there are lots of studies extolling its benefits. ;)

lexis

Ginger detox bath is the fastest way to increase body temperature..just put some ginger pieces into the bath tub

pboy

it might be alright on occasion, but I think its toxic. I used to work in a place where id have to juice stuff, ginger being one of them, and if the juice stays on your hands too long it starts burning extremely bad, like as bad nearly as cayenne pepper. It gives a similar response, but I think its not a true pain killing, more like a burn that numbs your pain receptors. So it might make you think the pain is less, but its just numbed. A girl told me she ended up in the hospital after drinking ginger juice one time, I think it was a slight shock state and potentially had a rash or something, I don't remember. I tend to trust my palate, and if something burns the tongue to the point of disturbing taste perception, I think that carries on into the GI and interferes with the intelligence of digestion

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Expected gingers. Was sorely dissapoint.

i-love-gingers-women-s_design.png

Jenn

If she drank as much salt water as she did ginger juice she might have had a similar reaction. Somethings are meant to be in moderation. Personally, there have been times when ginger was beneficial and times when it would have been counterproductive.

Spokey

I find ginger's flavor changes markedly with cooking. So I wonder if this reflects any changes in its physiological effects and if this might be true of other spices.

Amazoniac

- Comparative Studies of Antibacterial Effect of some Antibiotics and Ginger (Zingiber officinale) on two pathogenic bacteria

"This [in glass] study investigated the comparative effect of ginger (Zingiber officinale) and some antibiotics on two pathogenic bacteria. The plant extracts were prepared by weighing the plant leaves and root (20, 40, 60, 80 and 100 g) into 100 ml of water and ethanol (at g/100 ml) and ground to determine the extract concentrations. Serial dilutions of the antibiotics used were prepared to determine the various antibiotic concentrations. The results obtained showed that ginger extract of both the plant and root showed the highest antibacterial activity against Staphylococcus aureus and Streptococcus pyogenes while the three antibiotics used (chloramphenicol, ampicillin and tetracycline) were also active but to a lesser extent compared to ginger extract."

upload_2019-7-13_19-37-53.png
upload_2019-7-13_19-37-58.png

Last edited:

Waynish

it might be alright on occasion, but I think its toxic. I used to work in a place where id have to juice stuff, ginger being one of them, and if the juice stays on your hands too long it starts burning extremely bad, like as bad nearly as cayenne pepper. It gives a similar response, but I think its not a true pain killing, more like a burn that numbs your pain receptors. So it might make you think the pain is less, but its just numbed. A girl told me she ended up in the hospital after drinking ginger juice one time, I think it was a slight shock state and potentially had a rash or something, I don't remember. I tend to trust my palate, and if something burns the tongue to the point of disturbing taste perception, I think that carries on into the GI and interferes with the intelligence of digestion

Juicing it is a lot different... I've drank ginger for years in the recommended ways (teas, etc)... Usually some heat extraction. I've had ginger shots from these juicing places and it is much different - much harsher.
Peatarians having trouble with mucous would be well advised to use ginger. Most people who have problems with sugar have weak spleens and ginger is a spleen tonic.

serling78

Has anyone used ginger tea for constipation relief? Looking online the general consensus seems to be that ginger is great for helping with constipation. I've learned that with all things constipation related whatever info is widely accepted as being true is always false for me so I was skeptical, but also very desperate. I went and got some ginger tea and after 2 mugs last night and one today my constipation feels like it's getting worse.

I'll probably try for another day or two just to completely rule it out but wanted to see if others had any experiences with it.

serling78

I tried ginger tea for a couple days and it didn't help and seemed to make my constipation worse. Not sure what's going on but I've tried a number of things that others swear by and they do nothing for me.

Sweet Meat

I tried ginger tea for a couple days and it didn't help and seemed to make my constipation worse. Not sure what's going on but I've tried a number of things that others swear by and they do nothing for me.

use castor oil

1-2 tsp depending

if it works for labour it'll work for constipation.

ReSTART

Been eating at least a few pieces of candied ginger for the last few days and I love it

Serene

Was looking up ginger. Just wanted to add my 2 cents....
I have been eating crystallized ginger and it makes my hands warm very quickly after consuming it. Love it.

Mossy

While munching on some ginger candy I was wondering what ray thinks about ginger? Does he avoid it since it is a spice? I read somewhere that ginger lowers serotonin?

I like candied ginger I think it helps my digestion

Been eating at least a few pieces of candied ginger for the last few days and I love it

These are pretty good: Amazon product ASIN B005GXQ244View: https://www.amazon.com/Ginger-People-Original-Chews-1-lb/dp/B005GXQ244/ref=sr_1_5?crid=OZCZWCNCM3U5&keywords=ginger+candy&qid=1670768672&sprefix=ginger+ca%2Caps%2C715&sr=8-5

I'm guessing the tapioca starch is not Peat approved; but maybe test it and see how you do on it.