Skim Milk Powder Pancakes

Minos

Second or third time I've tried this and it just doesn't work. I end up with a bunch of unworkable sludge in the pan.
What sort of milk powder are you using? Is it 'instant nonfat milk powder,' or just 'nonfat milk powder?' I've had good luck with the pancakes using bob red mill's nonfat dry milk powder, while the 'instant nonfat dry milk powder' I used initially turned into the sludge that you're describing. I even use a full 1/2 cup of milk with one cup BRM powder

L

lollipop

I altered the recipe in an attempt to make sugar cookies. They turned out amazing, though they were a wee bit rich maybe? I did 1 cup milk powder, 1/2 cup sugar, 1 egg, 1/4 cup butter, vanilla, bit of baking soda (eyed it). Cooked for 10min or so on 350deg F. They were remarkably similar to flour cookies.
Hi @schultz! I made your cookies and altered a bit - lol :) Here is your "recipe" altered by me:

Milk Powder Cookies:

Ingredients:
*1 cup milk powder (Bob Mills NonFat)
*1/2 cup sugar
*2 eggs
*1/4 cup butter
*1 tsp vanilla
*1/2 tsp baking soda

Melt butter and sugar together on simmer. Mix all ingredients together. Put cookie size dough spaced one inch apart on parchment paper.

Cook for 8-9 min at 350 F.

Makes 12 Cookies

IMG_1603.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

tara

schultz

Hi @schultz! I made your cookies and altered a bit - lol :) Here is your "recipe" altered by me:

Milk Powder Cookies:

Ingredients:
*1/2 cup sugar
*2 eggs
*1/4 cup butter
*1 tsp vanilla
*1/2 tsp baking soda

Melt butter and sugar together on simmer. Mix all ingredients together. Put cookie size dough spaced one inch apart on parchment paper.

Makes 12 Cookies

View attachment 4673

They look good! Does the extra egg help?

I did a few variations. One with mashed banana for banana cookies (pretty good) and one with chocolate. I think I like original the best.

schultz

I made this cookie recipe yesterday and they were the most amazing shortbread cookies! I came here to thank you and now I read about acrylamide. Sigh... there's always something. I hope Bob's Red Mill Non-Fat Dry Milk Powder is a good option cause I just bought a ton of it. lol Thank you so much for the recipe!

I think if you cook the pancakes and cookies on low then there should be no problem. I don't know much about acrylamide but it seems to occur more in cooked starchy foods. I wiki'd it and apparently it's in coffee. I'd rather ingest acrylamide than give up coffee!!

L

lollipop

They look good! Does the extra egg help?

I did a few variations. One with mashed banana for banana cookies (pretty good) and one with chocolate. I think I like original the best.
Yes the extra egg helps a lot in texture and shape - super yummy and I put it into myFitnessPal - here are the nutritional details:

IMG_1608.jpg
IMG_1609.jpg

Sheik

Milk Powder Cookies:

Ingredients:
*1/2 cup sugar
*2 eggs
*1/4 cup butter
*1 tsp vanilla
*1/2 tsp baking soda

Makes 12 Cookies

View attachment 4673
Yesterday I received 88 oz of Bob's Red Mill Milk Powder that I had ordered so I decided to try this recipe... sooo good. I thought we were compromising by using powdered milk instead of flour. I thought wrong. Thank you for sharing, Lisa.

Oh, I almost forgot, I ended up having to cook them for closer to 15 minutes (though I opened the oven like 5 times).

For anyone who wants to try this stuff, Jet.com has a promotion where new members get 15% off their first 3 orders, so it ended up costing me 34 dollars flat for the 4 bags of milk powder. Shipping was free.
:carrot:dancenanner

If anyone finds a better deal, let us know.

theLaw

Haven't tried it yet, but here are some ideas (just ignore the non-Peat replacements):

baking-without-eggs_rez1ik.jpg

L

lollipop

Yesterday I received 88 oz of Bob's Red Mill Milk Powder that I had ordered so I decided to try this recipe... sooo good. I thought we were compromising by using powdered milk instead of flour. I thought wrong. Thank you for sharing, Lisa.

Oh, I almost forgot, I ended up having to cook them for closer to 15 minutes (though I opened the oven like 5 times).

For anyone who wants to try this stuff, Jet.com has a promotion where new members get 15% off their first 3 orders, so it ended up costing me 34 dollars flat for the 4 bags of milk powder. Shipping was free.

Awesome @Sheik!! They are super yummy :):

So glad you figured out the correct time for you. I finally settled on 9 min for me. I think cooking time is soooo variable depending on altitude, individual oven temps, humidity, time of year, etc.

raypeatclips

Trying something different with the channel here. Uploaded a video of me making the milk powder pancakes how I make them, I think it's the Danny Roddy recipe I generally follow, can't quite remember. Not sure if I'll make anymore of the food videos, it completely depends on the response I get from this one. Here it is anyway:

G Forrest

Just tried these for the first time this morning. They are delicious! However I did have an issue with them burning, I ended up making it more of a scramble, but I think they are nicer as pancakes. I also added vanilla to the recipe, which gave a good flavor. I think next time I will just use 1 TBS of sugar instead of "a few", as they were pretty sweet and I like adding maple syrup or honey. I'm also using the Wal-Mart brand instant powdered milk, but I will order some of the Bob's Mills.

Baleia

I made garlic flatbread.
- 4 Tbsp skim milk powder
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 egg
- garlic powder to taste
- salt to taste
- pinch of baking soda
I think it turned out great ( check the pic)

Attachments

• 20180520_181607.jpg
    20180520_181607.jpg
    211 KB · Views: 78
L

lollipop

I made garlic flatbread.
- 4 Tbsp skim milk powder
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 egg
- garlic powder to taste
- salt to taste
- pinch of baking soda
I think it turned out great ( check the pic)
This looks yummmmmmy :): Thank you for posting ❤️

RayPeatFan777

Would you have to keep the milk cookies in the fridge to stop bacterial growth?

Edit: made the cookies exactly as stated but i expected them to be hard like a cookie, theyre soft? o_O taste good tho!

Last edited:

RayPeatFan777

I love these things! I have two kids and I am grateful to find recipes like this.

I like to cook and was fooling around with the recipe. I added an extra yolk to the mix to see what would happen. The seemed to get a little bit fluffier, though it may have been my imagination.

I altered the recipe in an attempt to make sugar cookies. They turned out amazing, though they were a wee bit rich maybe? I did 1 cup milk powder, 1/2 cup sugar, 1 egg, 1/4 cup butter, vanilla, bit of baking soda (eyed it). Cooked for 10min or so on 350deg F. They were remarkably similar to flour cookies.

I never knew you could use milk powder like this. Amazing!

Were the milk powder cookies like regular cookies in texture? I've tried the recipe on page 3 for cookies so many times. It always ends up like a soft cake texture not sure how to describe but theres no crunch or crisp at all. Maybe you used egg whites and I used whole egg's? I'm clueless

RayPeatFan777

LOL wtf am I doing wrong. Mine are so soft. Nothing like a cookie.

Last edited:

schultz

Were the milk powder cookies like regular cookies in texture? I've tried the recipe on page 3 for cookies so many times. It always ends up like a soft cake texture not sure how to describe but theres no crunch or crisp at all. Maybe you used egg whites and I used whole egg's? I'm clueless

I have not made them in a while. From what I remember they were chewier than normal cookies. I don't remember a soft cake texture. I'll try making them again and see what turns out and let you know.

RayPeatFan777

I have not made them in a while. From what I remember they were chewier than normal cookies. I don't remember a soft cake texture. I'll try making them again and see what turns out and let you know.
Thanks, I appreciate that. I really need a starch-free snack and these would be perfect.

Ive been using lollipops recipe (yours + an extra egg) and it comes out flat and smooth on top but lollipops pics look crumbly and bumpy :wtf:

I'm gonna try your recipe without the extra egg and see what happens.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals