Supplemental Vitamin B2 - Experiences?

tara

What do you think of the below (part about riboflavin supplements being seriously dangerous)?
It's one of the factors that contributed to me reducing my dose. I still supplement some regularly, but now more like 10mg. I think I may get a positive effect from having some, but not necessarily from having more. If there is a negative side-effect, I'm not noticing it yet, and hopefully smaller dose reduces the risk.

Waynish

My girlfriend used B2 daily for a couple of years in approx 400mg quantities, hoping to prevent migraine. After a while, she also developed the restless insomniac sort of condition that others in this thread experienced.

She also lost a lot of weight. A combination of muscle and fat. She eventually was referred to an endocrinologist as her TSH had dropped so low she was considered hyperthyroid.

Now she's on hyperthyroid drugs, and I wonder if B2 didn't contribute to the speeding up of her metabolism. There's not enough literature on riboflavin unfortunately.

You think b2 caused hyperthyroidism? Was it a fairly controlled test? More recent outcomes?

ddjd

Not my experience personally, but a friend's experience - she took Riboflavin because she read that it helps keep mosquitos away. She said it caused massive migraines and nausea. I'm guessing it was too high of a dose, since most supplements come in really high doses. I've taken smaller amounts and done OK with it. Didn't notice much of anything though.
It's thiamine b1 that keeps mosquitos away. She got the wrong b vit lol

ddjd

I'm OK with most of the other B vitamins, but if I take too much B2 I get nausea and aching within a few days. I use standard riboflavin and if I feel I need some, I cut up a 100mg tablet and take about 5mg. Small doses like this, taken every now and then, work best for me.
These are classic symptoms of lowering estrogen. A great thing. But obviously not too much

ddjd

B2 is amazing IMO. it's so important alongside b1 for estrogen excretion. Also many important enzymes including MTHFR and glutathione pathway enzymes require it.

But don't take close to bedtime because you won't be able to sleep

R5p is the one I take.

I was taking 400mg per day for maybe 4 or 5 months. I thought it raised my temperatures. I stopped and my temperatures are still nicely raised. Maybe coincidental. Didn't notice any issues with it or sleeping problems.

Sheila

Greetings dear Ones

I suspect these observations are best here...

I have mentioned in the past that some people with chronic fatigue can take 400mg + of riboflavin without any fluorescent urine, the usual sign of metabolism. I wondered at the time - based on fluorescence suggesting sufficiency (or indeed overload) whether they used it all up, or couldn't use it at all. It didn't seem to have any plus or minus energising effect, so I am thinking, it was not used. Being a water soluble b vitamin one is given to think that it is just bowel excreted, as B vitamins are rarely stored...

But is that true? Recently, I knew of an older person taking B2 at 100mg who significantly improved the clarity of her vision with it (all other factors being largely the same) and had fluorescent urine each day, but began, like many posters here to experience anxiety and sleeplessness after six weeks or so. Quitting the supplement, the vision improvements remained, the anxiety and insomnia passed but after a week or two of nil B2, she suddenly starting urinating fluorescently again, just for a few days and with no other supplementation. This would rather suggest that riboflavin was stored somewhere and, when the body was ready, released it again - does it not? Perhaps? Maybe?

In using any b vitamin above the RDI, I am reminded of this quote from
Rosacea, Inflammation, And Aging: The Inefficiency Of Stress :

"The "orthomolecular" ideas of Hoffer and Linus Pauling were developed in a context of biochemistry governed by genetics, molecular biology, in which the goal was to provide a chemical that was lacking because of a genetic defect in metabolism. Their idea of using nutrients as drugs has led to many unphysiological practices, in which an isolated nutrient is supposed to have a drug-like action, and if in isolation it doesn't act like a drug, then it should be used only according to the normal genetically determined nutritional requirement.

But in reality, nutritional requirements are strongly influenced by history and present circumstances. For example, when corneal mitochondria have been damaged by riboflavin deficiency, they have been found to subsequently require more than the normal amount of the vitamin to function properly. And the presence of a certain amount of one nutrient often increases or decreases the amount of other nutrients needed.
"

So water soluble vitamins may perhaps be stored and use of one vitamin at higher doses, even with low doses of the others on-board, may solve one problem and cause another.

It really is all so complex and so single person dependent.
Best regards
Sheila

GAF

FWIW, my theory is that B2 is mixed in with the body's extracellular fluid and goes wherever extracellular fluid goes and is available for use if needed. That's why higher doses are harmless for most, but handy for people with uptake/utilization issues.

GorillaHead

I started taking B2. Everyday and Hollyshit my skin. It’s soo so so so so smooth. I had a friend start dosing b2 for his eczema and before I even told him about my skin improvements. He reported the exact same thing super smooth skin.

GAF

Right off the bat, B2 seems really good at finding a person's weaknesses and making noticeable improvements.

If you want even better skin, add histidine and body brushing and those Japanese exfoliation cloths.

Steed

Another experience here. Took one 100 mg dose and body temperature went up quickly. My hands were hard to close, like a lot of thyroid hormone at the same time. Also some effects on the brain, kinda sedating, took a nap not long after.

I would say a pretty clear pro metabolic effects.

In addition, I have homozygous MTHFR SNPs and have had large benefit of 500 mcg/daily methylfolate. According to some reserach, B2 might play a larger role than we know today in some type of allosteric activation of the MTHFR enzymes.

Myriam

Merci à tous.

Officiellement, il n'y a pas d'effets indésirables connus à la supplémentation en riboflavine, mais il n'y a pas beaucoup de recherche à ce sujet, semble-t-il [ RDI ]. Peat a écrit que certaines vitamines B ont tendance à être allergènes en tant que suppléments, la vitamine B2 étant l'une des plus problématiques, mais ...

... J'ai des symptômes qui suggèrent une carence en vitamine B2 malgré un apport alimentaire de 2 à 3 fois l'AJR, je prévois donc d'essayer un supplément de vitamine B2 comme R5P.

[USER = 2687] @Tarmander [/ USER], ce que vous décrivez est le genre d'effet secondaire que je crains. Merci de me rappeler de vraiment y aller doucement. J'ai besoin de savoir comment doser <10 mg. J'ai commandé une poudre.:MDR:

Quel genre de problème de santé oculaire aviez-vous en tête? Cela a-t-il aidé?
Bonjour ça m'a declancher une depresion après l'arrêt la depresion dur encore combien temp ?

Whataboutbob

Attachments

• 76C4970C-C48B-41B9-8B11-64C7223FF188.jpeg
    76C4970C-C48B-41B9-8B11-64C7223FF188.jpeg
    198.3 KB · Views: 20
  • DA8CEA63-FE2A-40E4-A5A7-128C2FC1853C.jpeg
    DA8CEA63-FE2A-40E4-A5A7-128C2FC1853C.jpeg
    145.2 KB · Views: 21
  • 45C4F90E-B075-48AF-86C4-5D2C6DC4BCB1.jpeg
    45C4F90E-B075-48AF-86C4-5D2C6DC4BCB1.jpeg
    170.9 KB · Views: 19
  • 1F0A927E-71A0-4C40-97C3-D218205A5639.jpeg