Inclined Bed Therapy - Sleeping With The Head End Of The Bed Elevated

ExD

Did you start with the full incline?

I started at 8" as that was most convenient. first night or two I noticed the incline but now I don't. The idea of sleeping flat is just unappealing at this point

@ExD Thank you for your feedback and congratulations on your wins. Having warm healthy feet must feel awesome after such a long time :)

Andrew

Thanks. I am mostly just surprised by the efficacy of it. Prior to this if my feet got even a little wet I would have had to scrub them with sodium bicarb just to avoid the soles turning to damp rot for the rest of the day

I mentioned hyperhidrosis but it actually was more water retention, dampness and bacteria that seemed to be the problem

"Something wrong with my friends feet" [xpost r/WTF] : peeling

^^ - on a bad day, my feet looked worse than this

today, there isn't even an indication that anything was ever wrong with them in the first place lol

somuch4food

I started at 8" as that was most convenient. first night or two I noticed the incline but now I don't. The idea of sleeping flat is just unappealing at this point

That's a full incline. I've stayed at 3" for the last few months and haven't noticed much. I do notice however that I wake up with the sun which is an improvement with before. There was so much stuff going on that I kinda forgot to increment :banghead: I'm in the middle of a move and will have to resume this experiment when I settle at my new place.

ExD

That's a full incline. I've stayed at 3" for the last few months and haven't noticed much. I do notice however that I wake up with the sun which is an improvement with before. There was so much stuff going on that I kinda forgot to increment :banghead: I'm in the middle of a move and will have to resume this experiment when I settle at my new place.

Yes, it's very noticeable, even looking at the bed, however I acclimatized quickly. I use two blocks, one five inch and one three inch and it feels very natural now, if looking a little bit special.

I definitely relate to having too much going on and tend to run on stress a lot, but despite this I have never actually been a fan of sleep and sometimes hate the idea of getting into bed and hoping to go unconscious before getting uncomfortable and frustrated, but this kind of feels like a cheat in that even if I'm not fully asleep, I'm getting the benefit of rest and gravity, so the anxiety to fall asleep is lessened. I have quite a neurotic mind, so it is possible that this is part of the reason for the notable improvement of my symptoms, even if it is only placebo

somuch4food

Yes, it's very noticeable, even looking at the bed, however I acclimatized quickly. I use two blocks, one five inch and one three inch and it feels very natural now, if looking a little bit special.

I definitely relate to having too much going on and tend to run on stress a lot, but despite this I have never actually been a fan of sleep and sometimes hate the idea of getting into bed and hoping to go unconscious before getting uncomfortable and frustrated, but this kind of feels like a cheat in that even if I'm not fully asleep, I'm getting the benefit of rest and gravity, so the anxiety to fall asleep is lessened. I have quite a neurotic mind, so it is possible that this is part of the reason for the notable improvement of my symptoms, even if it is only placebo

Your enthousiasm is motivating me. Did you notice some changes in the first few days? I'm particularly interested in the edema and lunula issues as I have both. I don't know if I will be able to sleep inclined next week, but I have a few days left to try it this week.

ExD

Your enthousiasm is motivating me. Did you notice some changes in the first few days? I'm particularly interested in the edema and lunula issues as I have both. I don't know if I will be able to sleep inclined next week, but I have a few days left to try it this week.

The lunulae is probably less pronounced than you infer. I remember reading into this a while ago and noting that I only had moons on my thumbs and the rest had receded below the cuticle. I am mostly noting the return of moontips on middle and index finger, but it is hard to say whether this is directly related to IBT, as I remember that lunulae have phases.

In general though my nails are definitely smoother and actually seem to be less flat, if that is even possible lol? It may actually be a result of my fingers and toes being less swollen.

One thing I did notice is that my left toes were relatively swollen to the right, prior to IBT. I can only assume that this was some sort of edema. What is interesting is that my left hand lunulae are also notably more receded than my right. Without knowing the why, it will be interesting to see what the longer term effects are on the nails.

somuch4food

I have now moved to a temporary location and slept 3 nights with inadequate incline and was disappointed. By the 3rd night, I woke up feeling like I used to 3 years ago, groggy and tired. I fixed it yesterday and I woke up feeling better this morning.

No more flat beds for me I'm afraid. I will have to think of something whenever I need to sleep elsewhere for more than a night or 2.

sevenzy

I appreciate this post. I had never heard of inclined bed therapy. Got my bed at about 5inch incline for past week. Going to put another block under tonight to get it to the 6inch ideal incline. I was waking up super groggy prior to incline bed therapy now not so much.

Goobz

I heard about this earlier this year and started at 6 inches. It did somehow feel a lot better but this could well be placebo.

However Ive had to sleep on a flat bed for the last month or two, and in that time my oura ring arrived (tracks sleep).

I want to put the incline back and see if anything is noticeable on the rings sleep data.

Experiment with blood pressure, for inclined and flat sleepers. Need to test whether sleeping on left side lowers blood pressure without meds. I have found some published articles for it's use during pregnancy, so there is something in this. If it has merit, then we may have a better understanding of the drivers for hbp.

Vinny

I tried inclined bed for a couple of months. The height was increasing gradually. It did absolutely NOTHING health wise. No positive benefit whatsoever. It was only a torture; the uncomfortable, unnatural feeling never went away, so I`m back to normal with relief and pleasure. It was one of the most senseless things I ever done. Won`t do it again no matter what!

somuch4food

I tried inclined bed for a couple of months. The height was increasing gradually. It did absolutely NOTHING health wise. No positive benefit whatsoever. It was only a torture; the uncomfortable, unnatural feeling never went away, so I`m back to normal with relief and pleasure. It was one of the most senseless things I ever done. Won`t do it again no matter what!

It seems like everybody is different. I do not wish to sleep flat again, it does not feel natural anymore. I wake up feeling more refreshed when sleeping inclined.

What conditions did you expect to see improvements in?

Blossom

Forum Supporter
We took bed risers so we could sleep inclined on vacation last week and it worked out great. I didn’t have to worry about the inevitable aches and pains that creep back in after a couple nights of sleeping flat!

Vinny

What conditions did you expect to see improvements in?
Metabolism, sleep apnea, sleep as general, weight loss, edema, or anything that might be noticed. After two months of torture and feeling exactly the same as before, I thought i had enough of it. Glad for everyone who benefited, for those who hasn`t tried it - try and see how it is.
I`m also done with this thread, btw.

Goobz

Been on flat beds recently due to travelling and moving around a bit. Then moved house. Now bed is moved in, Looking forward to getting it tilted again! I have an oura ring and wonder if there will be differences that come up...

Capt Nirvana

I was surprised to see that there wasn't a thread dedicated to discussing people's experience with it so here we go. At the risk of stating the obvious, it is just raising the head of your bed 6 inches and sleeping at an incline. It has been reported to achieve some impressive health results such as:
  • Improving blood circulation
  • Boosting metabolism
  • Improving lymphatic drainage from the brain
  • Improving immune system function
  • Improving respiratory function
  • Easing symptoms associated with Alzheimer's, diabetes, glaucoma, migraines, multiple sclerosis, sleep apnea, acid reflux, edema, varicose veins and more
Here is some background info:
Inclined Bed Therapy Benefits
Home - Inclined Bed Therapy IBT - Restore & Support Your Health
How to Use Inclined Bed Therapy For Diabetes, Acid Reflux and More
https://www.nexusmagazine.com/articles/doc_view/337-inclined-bed-therapy-a-new-angle-on-health

Anyone try this and care to report on their experience?
I tried this in the past and had some good results but had moved and am just getting around to setting up my bed again. Tonight will be day 1 and Ill try to report back any changes.

Capt Nirvana

In the 1960s through the 1980s, it was the other way around. I slept with my head lowered for a total of decades. During the 1980s I also indulged in inversion therapy (usually a 45-degree angle) for an hour or two a day. If it's OK for Batman and the Woodstock Guru, I pondered, why not me? :rolleyes:

Xisca

I do this but just because I noticed I was better when having a nap under the pine trees! As there was nothing flat, I just chose what felt best and noticed the difference...

johnsmith

I thought you were supposed to elevate the foot end of the bed... I've been doing it wrong this whole time??