Cholesterol Powder - Steroid Hormone Precursor Available For Lab/Research Use

Anders86

Any tips on how to liquify this? 24hours in MCT did not do much, added some Vitamin E now but afraid this dont do much either. Also a bit worried how this powder will treat my rats guts..

managing

Any tips on how to liquify this? 24hours in MCT did not do much, added some Vitamin E now but afraid this dont do much either. Also a bit worried how this powder will treat my rats guts..
I assume it is similar to stearic acid in texture/melting point. If I take stearic acid w/o food, it irritates. But if i take it in the middle of a meal, it is fine. I'd try a little with a full meal and then wait a few days to see how it . . . turns out.

Anders86

I assume it is similar to stearic acid in texture/melting point. If I take stearic acid w/o food, it irritates. But if i take it in the middle of a meal, it is fine. I'd try a little with a full meal and then wait a few days to see how it . . . turns out.

Thanks, Rat will test with a proper meal.
I find similar "flakes" in Cocoa butter, so I guess it is same textur.

My rat is on a very low fat diet, do you think it would hinder absorption?

managing

I wouldn't think so. I've become "dependent" on it in that I get these weird "low bile" symptoms if I stop for a few days. So it seems to be active high in the digestive tract.

M

member 6316

everyone seems to have a rat on this forum besides me :( i feel alone

RobertJM

Anyone still on this? I think I tried it when it first came out, but I don’t remember much.

theLaw

Anyone still on this? I think I tried it when it first came out, but I don’t remember much.

I purchased this a few weeks ago, and used doses from 100mg to 2G with no major changes noticed.

It should be noted that I eat 2 eggs every morning + 4 ounces of liver each week, so perhaps cholesterol isn't an issue for me (never had it tested).

Taste was pretty neutral.

lampofred

Has there been any testing on whether there is any oxidized cholesterol in the product? Dr. Peat has said that is a very big risk with cholesterol supplements.

rei

Has there been any testing on whether there is any oxidized cholesterol in the product? Dr. Peat has said that is a very big risk with cholesterol supplements.
This seems to be a overblown hazard when taking into account modern manufacturing and purification techniques. The oxidized cholesterol probably happens during the synthesis process, and once purified away the remaining pure cholesterol is very stable.

The fact that cholesterol itself is extremely resistant to oxidization is highly underpublicized, whereas its main esterified component, Parent omega-6 (LA), is more easily oxidized, especially ex vivo by food processing. Dietary LA that has already become oxidized prior to ingestion ex vivo is ubiquitous through processing of foods or overheating, since heating in the presence of air enhances peroxidation of PUFA glycerol esters [55, 56].

Last edited:

Amazoniac

- Cholesterol Autoxidation (978-1-4757-9691-9) - Leland Smith

"The deterioration of cholesterol upon ordinary storage in containers not depleted of air may not all be from autoxidation, as the action of trace acid, metal, etc. or of heat and time conceivably could lead to dehydration reactions, yielding cholestadienes 11 and 284 or dicholesteryl ether (18). Moreover, the presence of low levels of sterol congeners may also be likewise affected. However, most of the deterioration of stored cholesterol samples may be reasonably ascribed to autoxidation."

"The first sign of cholesterol deterioration likely to be detected is that of odor, as an opened bottle of aged cholesterol releases an acrid odor immediately, an odor variously described in unpleasant terms such as "urine odor" [740]. As bottles of cholesterol are usually brown glass, the yellow coloration of aged cholesterol is usually the second evidence of deterioration observed after opening the bottle [1897,1960,2163,2164]. Other common properties that are altered include diminished melting point [754,1352,1731,1960,2020,2163,2164], specific rotation, generally less negative [1352,1771,1927], increased ultraviolet [978,1019,1352,1600,1731,1927,1997] and infrared [567] light absorption and fluorescence [1731,1974], altered organic solvent solubilities [1600, 1731] increased water solubility, positive color tests for oxidation and for peroxides [2205], increased amounts of glassy or resinous material upon recrystallization [1997], and decreased yields of cholesterol purified by recrystallization or via the dibromide [744]. Many of these physical property alterations are also noted in cholesterol exposed to ultraviolet light [1988]. Furthermore, in both natural air-aging and in irradiation experiments more refined analyses for the presence of autoxidation products confirm these several indications."

"However, relatively few quantitative studies under stipulated conditions have been conducted. Fieser compared the progressive deterioration of cholesterol samples with time, using the isolation of the 3b,25-diol 27 as measure of deterioration together with amount of glassy material formed. Cholesterol samples 2 mo., 2 or 4 y, and 24 y of age contained 0.0%, 0.14%, and 0.34% of the 3b,25-diol 27, 0.9%, 2.4%, and 18% of glassy material respectively [748,754]."

"Of even greater interest are descriptions of conditions under which stored cholesterol was found to be stable. In general these conditions emphasize the absence of oxygen, but light and heat are also factors to minimize. Data of TABLE 33 summarize representative cases."

upload_2019-6-4_12-47-53.png

"The storage of pure cholesterol in ampules sealed under vacuum or under inert atmosphere free from oxygen, at low temperature in the dark, is thus the recommended procedure. However, the mere act of sealing cholesterol into glass ampules appears to be destructive of sample, the purity measured by differential scanning calorimetry being diminished by such treatment [1208]! Moreover, thermal decomposition of high purity cholesterol on gas chromatography is indicated by lowered melting point behavior [2569] and by detection of thermal elimination products in effluent [684]. Obviously great care must be exercised in any manipulation of high purity cholesterol."

"There are several cases of cholesterol stability that merit individual discussion, that of radioactive samples, that of a unique sample of Engel not deteriorated since 1937, and that of very old material from mummified and fossilized remains."

The Engel Sample [not to be confused with Angel Sample, or a piece of Jennifer that you keep in refrigated jar for contemplation, luck and hopefully protection]:

"The instability of pure cholesterol towards oxidation by the molecular oxygen of the air is fully supported by the evidence adduced throughout this monograph, yet assertions to the contrary have been made. Engel has declared that "Cholesterol Is Stable" in a paper describing the special stability properties of a sample of cholesterol purified by him in 1937 [684], and this interpretation has been incorporated into a major monograph on sterols without qualification of the unique status of this sample [76]. Lest this viewpoint prevail, it is essential to give this one sample add'd attention."

"The special sample had been brominated, rapidly recrystallized, and debrominated by Schoenheimer's method using NaI/ethanol, the bromination-debromination steps repeated, and the sample recrystallized from ethanol. Analysis of the sample 31 years later revealed its freedom from detectable amounts of autoxidation products [Wtf? (kine, 2018)], thus its unique stability over the period 1937-1968 [684]. Our analysis in 1971-1972 of the sample kindly provided by Professor Engel [2295,2313] confirmed the freedom of the sample from detectable autoxidation products."

"Data of TABLE 34 summarize properties of Engel's special sample and of a sample of cholesterol purified by me in 1953 via the dibromide twice. In this case, the debromination was accomplished using Fieser's procedure with Zn/acetic acid and the sample was recrystallized from methanol. The contrast between the two samples is impressive, as my 1953 sample had autoxidized extensively over the period 1953-1966 [2303], whereas Engel's sample had not! Moreover, Engel's sample remains but minimally autoxidized at this writing in 1980."

upload_2019-6-4_12-48-2.png

"Engel has suggested that the recrystallization of the 5a,6a-dibromide 426 before debromination be the only difference in the two purification procedures. However, other issues appear to me to be of greater importance in providing possible explanations. Rather than conclude that pure cholesterol is stable, it is to me much more probable that the unrecognized presence of traces of unidentified impurities contribute to the differential stabilities observed. Either traces of catalytic transition elements increase the autoxidation of cholesterol purified by Fieser's process or traces of protection agents stabilize the sample purified by the Schoenheimer method. Trace metals analyses on cholesterol samples have not been commonly reported, only the ash content being required for official USP purposes."

"However! The halogen content of Engel's 1937 sample and of my 1953 sample has been measured by neutron activation, the intensities of the 82Br and 128I photopeaks at 554.3 and 442.9 keV respectively following neutron irradiation providing the absolute levels recorded in TABLE 34. Clearly the Engel sample retains a 3.5-fold increased level of Br over the sample debrominated witn Zn/acetic acid and also has a measureable I content. It is not known whether the halogens found are present as inorganic salts or as halogenated sterols."

Wow is bromine/iodine value for this lipid?​

"In accelerated stability studies we have irradiated cholesterol purified via Fieser's method or by Schoenheimer's method with 60Co y-radiation and sought cholesterol 7- hydroperoxide products. Cholesterol purified by Fieser's method contained cholesterol 7-hydroperoxides after 1 min, that purified via the Schoenheimer process only after 5 min. Cholesterol purified by Fieser's process and then treated with 1-10 ppm levels of NaI (together with Na2SO4 used in the Schoenheimer process to reduce I2 formed) contained sterol hydroperoxides following 60Co y-radiation for 2 min at 1 ppm, after 1 min at 10 ppm levels. These experiments suggest that radiation-induced autoxidation of cholesterol may be retarded by these added agents, but the matter is obviously not settled."

"Yet another factor may influence the matter. From its crystal form Engel's sample is cholesterol monohydrate, recovered from ethanol (95%), whereas our highly purified samples have uniformly been recrystallized from methanol and are anhydrous crystals. We have not conducted comparative stability studies of anhydrous cholesterol and cholesterol monohydrate and cannot comment further on the influence of the state of hydration or crystallinity on the autoxidation of cholesterol."

"We have compared the stability to natural aging of two cholesterol samples purified via the dibromide, one debrominated by Fieser's method, the other by Schoenheimer's method. Both samples recrystallized from methanol are anhydrous crystals. Data of TABLE 35 show that both samples autoxidized upon shelf storage in a brown bottle, but the sample prepared by the Schoenheimer process was the more stable over a two-year period. Moreover, high performance liquid chromatography of equal fractions (5%) of the autoxidation products obtained from each sample aged for 1 y showed somewhat higher levels of the common cholesterol autoxidation products, including the epimeric 7-hydroperoxides 46 and 47 and secondary 14-16 in the sample purified via the Fieser procedure, cf. FIGURE 30."

upload_2019-6-4_12-48-10.png

upload_2019-6-4_12-48-15.png

"We may conclude that cholesterol purifi'd purify'd purified via Fieser's process is more susceptible to autoxidation than is cholesterol purified via the Schoenheimer method but that both processes provide pure cholesterol that is subject to autoxidation."

Very Old Samples:

"The stability of cholesterol in geologic time is obviously not indicated, as diagenesis processes altering deposits containing tissues bearing cholesterol lead ultimately to reduction of both the d5-olefin and the 3b-hydroxyl group, as previously mentioned. Under these circumstances the anaerobic state of geologic sediments mitigates against an autoxidative disposition of cholesterol. There remains the question of the long term stability of cholesterol in the presence of air. However, tissue samples more than a few thousand years old have not survived or have not been examined for sterol content. For what answer can be provided, one must turn to tissue samples of established antiquity that contain cholesterol. Egyptian mummy brain as old as 6000 y B.P. [Before pboy?] has yielded identifiable cholesterol but also cholesterol esters [1,1305,1399,1428,1555,2113], thus evincing the stability of cholesterol and its esters for this period. As human brain contains very little esterified cholesterol, the presence of cholesterol esters in mummy brain suggests a post mortem esterification of the sterol, one which might well stabilize the material against further alteration. Some autoxidation of material from more recent unembalmed Egyptian Coptic mummy brain may have occurred [1305], but autoxidation of cholesterol was not in evidence in the sterols from 2000 y old American Indian coproliths which contained identifiable cholesterol, stanols, and bile acids [1509]."

"In view of the demonstrated survival of cholesterol in these mummified and fossilized samples versus the demonstrated deterioration of pure cholesterol in contact with air, it must be posited that the human artifacts retained adequate antimicrobial and antioxidant protection or else that a barrier impervious to O2 diffusion existed in these materials."​

Will is [as found in diet] esterified cholesterol's stability in spite of more elaborate digestion?
What makes other hormones more stable? How is they made into powders?

rei

Depending on the manufacturing method and how it was stored it can last from years to decades is how i interpreted your quotes. Personally i store it in vacuum sealed bags in freezer and have seen no change in few months.

"if the cholesterol does not smell like piss it is good for consumption"

Last edited:

Amazoniac

Débora, have you asked Raj's opinion on cholesterol supplementation et stability? Lampofthered's concern is legit.

Since most of ingested food cholesterol is already esterified, with the same applying to poisonol, it must be more stable this way. Still, in the case of poisonyl esters, it's advisable to add antioxidants to prevent degradation.

Your supplier is Farmalabor, right? Cholesteryl debrate and others might be available.

Last edited:

Sagitarrius90

Rat tried high dose 5g of the powder. Moods lifted but feeling sleepy any suggestions? Perhaps a reduction in stress hormone?

thomas00

"The first sign of cholesterol deterioration likely to be detected is that of odor, as an opened bottle of aged cholesterol releases an acrid odor immediately, an odor variously described in unpleasant terms such as "urine odor" [740].

"If it smells like piss just give it a miss"​

golder

Would there be any benefit to this product over say, having a few egg yolks in my morning smoothie? Thanks guys!