Cypro Dosing For Autism

scarlettsmum

I was looking at the study of using cypro for treatment of autism in young children (3-11) first published on the forum by Haidut

Cyproheptadine in the treatment of autistic disorder: a double-blind placebo-controlled trial. - PubMed - NCBI

I would like to follow the same dosing and length of time for my autistic daughter since I came to conclusion that if I don't do anything about it nobody else will. In the text it says that the children in the study were given 0.2mg/kg/day of cypro. The tablets come in 4 mg each. If I'm correct does this mean that my daughter would be taking 8 4mg tablets per day if she has 16 kg !? I certainly wouldn't feel comfortable doing that.

@StressedMom have you tried cypro for your children?

Last edited:

StrongMom

I was looking at the study of using cypro for treatment of autism in young children (3-11) first published on the forum by Haidut

Cyproheptadine in the treatment of autistic disorder: a double-blind placebo-controlled trial. - PubMed - NCBI

I would like to follow the same dosing and length of time for my autistic daughter since I came to conclusion that if I don't do anything about it nobody else will. In the text it says that the children in the study were given 0.2mg/kg/day of cypro. The tablets come in 4 mg each. If I'm correct does this mean that my daughter would be taking 8 4mg tablets per day if she has 16 kg !? I certainly wouldn't feel comfortable doing that.

No, I haven't. It is in my list, but first I am trying to improve the metabolism. My boys are hypo; I am giving them thyroid and pregnenolone. How is your daughter's metabolism?

allblues

0.2 mg/kg for a 16 kg child would be 0,2*16 kg = 3,2 mg/day
About 3/4th of a 4 mg tablet per day

keith

I don't know anything about cyproheptadine dosing, but I believe 0.2 mg per kg at 16 kg would be 0.2 x 16 = 3.2 mg per day, not 32 mg, unless the instruction were 0.2 grams instead of mg.

keith

@allblues confirmed my suspect math skills. We must have posted at the same time. I checked the study and 0.2 mg is right, so looks like 3/4 of a tablet might be about right (3 mg, which is a little less than they used in the study, but you are going to have trouble cutting the pill into 0.2 mg pieces).

OP
scarlettsmum

scarlettsmum

No, I haven't. It is in my list, but first I am trying to improve the metabolism. My boys are hypo; I am giving them thyroid and pregnenolone. How is your daughter's metabolism?

How is the combo working for you? I'm not sure what to do first, but cypro was suggested by Haidut some time ago so I felt I would give it a try. I also find the dosing far easier and precise than thyroid. How do you work out the right quantity? Do you track their temps, pulse, etc? I haven't actually checked her temps but she's probably also hypo. At least I would guess since she's often constipated or gets loose stools. I have tried working on her diet and fortunately she loves fruit, but doesn't like dairy at all and loves gluten, gets pufa at preschool.:( I would be happy to try anything, even thyroid, but how do you start? Can you please explain how you dose thyroid and what brand? Is it dessicated , synthetic?

OP
scarlettsmum

scarlettsmum

Thank you @keith snd @allblues :) It was my husband's fault, I told him he was wrong, but he insisted it was correct! Thanks again, you saved me from overdosing the poor child! :)

OP
scarlettsmum

scarlettsmum

Does anyone know if you can get cypro OTC in the UK? Do Boots stock it?

StrongMom

How is the combo working for you? I'm not sure what to do first, but cypro was suggested by Haidut some time ago so I felt I would give it a try. I also find the dosing far easier and precise than thyroid. How do you work out the right quantity? Do you track their temps, pulse, etc? I haven't actually checked her temps but she's probably also hypo. At least I would guess since she's often constipated or gets loose stools. I have tried working on her diet and fortunately she loves fruit, but doesn't like dairy at all and loves gluten, gets pufa at preschool.:( I would be happy to try anything, even thyroid, but how do you start? Can you please explain how you dose thyroid and what brand? Is it dessicated , synthetic?

For young children, temp is the only way to go as far as I understand; their pulses tend to be high. My boys' temperatures are in 97s, so as mine. I started with NDT but we didn't notice an improvement in temps. In the end I moved to novotiral; still experimenting. I am also working on T3 but no success yet. One of my boys is constipated all the time. Without magnesium and thyroid he cannot have a bowel movement. Are you hypothyroid too? Start yourself. That is what I do. I experiment first, when I feel comfortable with the supplement/medication, I move to my children. Start with very small dosage. Please let me know how things are progressing. I would love to know.

StrongMom

I have tried working on her diet and fortunately she loves fruit, but doesn't like dairy at all and loves gluten, gets pufa at preschool.:(

One of my boys is very picky too; he loves fruit, so I try to mix other foods into fruits. I make fruit purees with sweet fruits he likes and then add a little of the things he doesn't like into the puree. He hates eggs but eats it with the fruit puree.

It is hard I know. Just try to be creative...

haidut

Forum Supporter
One of my boys is very picky too; he loves fruit, so I try to mix other foods into fruits. I make fruit purees with sweet fruits he likes and then add a little of the things he doesn't like into the puree. He hates eggs but eats it with the fruit puree.

I think 4mg - 6mg per child daily would be plenty. More than that would start to antagonize the dopamine "receptors" and you don't want that, especially in a autistic conditions. Antagonism of serotonin at 5-HT2 is where it's at for autism research and for that even 1mg cypro is enough. It is one of the strongest antagonist of 5-HT2 available.
Just my 2c.

OP
scarlettsmum

scarlettsmum

For young children, temp is the only way to go as far as I understand; their pulses tend to be high. My boys' temperatures are in 97s, so as mine. I started with NDT but we didn't notice an improvement in temps. In the end I moved to novotiral; still experimenting. I am also working on T3 but no success yet. One of my boys is constipated all the time. Without magnesium and thyroid he cannot have a bowel movement. Are you hypothyroid too? Start yourself. That is what I do. I experiment first, when I feel comfortable with the supplement/medication, I move to my children. Start with very small dosage. Please let me know how things are progressing. I would love to know.

Yes, let's keep in touch and give each other updates. I am hypo too, low temps, high cholesterol and symptoms confirmed it for me. I just had some blood tests done and am awaiting results next week, so I will know even more then. Based on the results I would like to start on thyroid therapy. I have tried solving this with diet alone, but I just gain weight without being able to raise my metabolism and still intolerant of much fluid and frequent toilet trips. It's kind of frustrating seeing my husband drinking up to 2 litres of whole milk a day and not putting on a gram. Whereas I drink low fat, hardly half a litre of milk and some OJ and am just pilling on the weight.
Anyhow with my little one, we are starting her on 1mg of cypro this Fri and I will monitor results and record every two weeks as per the study. I will report back to let you know how she's doing.

OP
scarlettsmum

scarlettsmum

Yes, she hates eggs too, strangely she will eat livers. So I make sure to serve livers every week. I don't think she'd be fooled with egg in fruit purée, but it's worth trying. Do you just stir a raw egg yolk in the purée? I just found out that she has a cavity in her milk tooth and am really bothered by the fact that she's already having problems with her teeth. I wish she would eat some dairy, or meat stock, but she hates it. I was thinking of giving her K2, but is there any point if she doesn't eat calcium rich foods?

OP
scarlettsmum

scarlettsmum

I think 4mg - 6mg per child daily would be plenty. More than that would start to antagonize the dopamine "receptors" and you don't want that, especially in a autistic conditions. Antagonism of serotonin at 5-HT2 is where it's at for autism research and for that even 1mg cypro is enough. It is one of the strongest antagonist of 5-HT2 available.
Just my 2c.

@haidut , thanks so much for weighing in on this! Great info, I will then reduce the dosage to 1mg of cypro at bedtime and see how she gets on.
Btw. I also emailed the professor of the study and am posting the email attached. I don't think he is aware of the negative effect on dopamine at higher doses. And also I believe that you have mentioned on the forum that over 12mg of cypro would interfere with growth in children. Is there a risk of gaining weight at such low dosage (1mg) for my daughter?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    50.9 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:

StrongMom

Yes, let's keep in touch and give each other updates. I am hypo too, low temps, high cholesterol and symptoms confirmed it for me. I just had some blood tests done and am awaiting results next week, so I will know even more then. Based on the results I would like to start on thyroid therapy. I have tried solving this with diet alone, but I just gain weight without being able to raise my metabolism and still intolerant of much fluid and frequent toilet trips. It's kind of frustrating seeing my husband drinking up to 2 litres of whole milk a day and not putting on a gram. Whereas I drink low fat, hardly half a litre of milk and some OJ and am just pilling on the weight.
Anyhow with my little one, we are starting her on 1mg of cypro this Fri and I will monitor results and record every two weeks as per the study. I will report back to let you know how she's doing.

Thanks, please let me know. I guess our hypothyroidism during the pregnancy contributed to their conditions.

I soft boil the egg and then mix into the puree. Since your daughter doesn't like dairy, why don't you mix dry milk powder or condensed milk into the puree? It might work.

OP
scarlettsmum

scarlettsmum

Thanks, please let me know. I guess our hypothyroidism during the pregnancy contributed to their conditions.

I soft boil the egg and then mix into the puree. Since your daughter doesn't like dairy, why don't you mix dry milk powder or condensed milk into the puree? It might work.

I think she'd find it suspect in the purée. She doesn't even like ice cream, so not sure if condensed milk would make much difference. Yes, I will let you know how she's doing on cypro.

DaveFoster

You could also try haidut's new ritanserin product, which may have similar effects without the strong side-effects of cyproheptadine, which may be even more pronounced in your daughter. Again, haidut should pitch in here.

@haidut

I'm not endorsing it, but I'm saying it may be a superior option.

Ritanserin - Serotonin Antagonist For R&D Use Only

OP
scarlettsmum

scarlettsmum

You could also try haidut's new ritanserin product, which may have similar effects without the strong side-effects of cyproheptadine, which may be even more pronounced in your daughter. Again, haidut should pitch in here.

@haidut

I'm not endorsing it, but I'm saying it may be a superior option.

Ritanserin - Serotonin Antagonist For R&D Use Only

Oh right, I haven't been on the forum for awhile so I didn't realise that Haidut came up with new fantastic product. I would love to try it. @haidut can you please advise?

dreamcatcher

My daughter used to have one bowel movement every 3-4 days for years. At the age of 6, I gave her cyproheptadine for about a month (~0.2 mg/day) and since then she has a bowel movement 2-3 times daily. Now she will be 7.

This is Ray Peat's reply to my question, what the ideal temperature is for a 6 year old child:

"It should be around 98.6 (37 C), a little higher with activity.
Normal Oral Temperature
Children 5 years & up
35.5°C – 37.5°C
(95.9°F – 99.5°F)

Normal Armpit Temperature
Children of any age
36.5°C – 37.5°C
(97.8°F – 99.5°F)"

yoshiesque

can i get an update on anyone who has been using cypro on their kids? my niece has autism and i want to start looking into treatments now. many thanks!