OMG, Cooked Fruit

PeatThemAll

I used to cook my fruit into compotes during the winter months. When fruit is in season and on sale, I buy it in bulk and freeze it to have for the winter, and I also buy frozen fruit from the store. My compotes consisted of frozen fruit reduced down in a pot with some vanilla beans or extract, some coconut fat (or butter if you're not vegan), spices such as cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger etc., dark maple syrup and some salt to taste. I used to top them off with whipped coconut cream I made by shaking some coconut cream in a small mason jar, but you can of course use whipped dairy cream. It's like having pie without the crust. So good!

Some of my favorites were mangos with ginger and cream, peaches with cinnamon and cream and strawberries and cream. I also made a tasty cherry compote using some frozen cherries I got from Trader Joe's. I'm not sure if they still carry them since this was last winter, but they do have semi-dried frozen figs that are like jam, straight out of the package. I bet they would be killer simmered with some vanilla, cinnamon and fat. That and persimmons. Oh, heck! The list could go on and on. I love fruit! Haha!
I noticed the past references. Is there a specific reason that prompted you to stop?

Jennifer

I noticed the past references. Is there a specific reason that prompted you to stop?
I currently eat raw. I had stopped eating cooked food during the summer just because I had an abundance of fresh ripe fruit available to me and it's all I craved. I was feeling really great, but eventually wanted something savory during the day so I added back cooked zucchini and at the same time, the compotes. I noticed after about a week, I was waking up groggy in the morning and getting mild heartburn from the compotes, so I went back to raw.

I still use that same basic compote recipe, but without cooking the fruit. When using frozen fruit, I let it defrost in the fridge overnight and before eating it, I warm it up slightly by submerging the bag of fruit in a bowl of hot water. After it's warm, I add raw vanilla bean powder, spices and coconut cream and let the flavors bloom and meld together before eating it. Or I take those same ingredients and keeping the fruit frozen, I combine them in the blender with some dates (sweetener) and make a type of soft-serve ice cream.

BastiFuntasty

Do you think we can inactivate some of the pesticides etc of commercial fruits with cooking or roasting?

Apparently it's really easy to unintentionally post while you're playing with a cat and holding your phone.

mmartian

I tried cooked frozen fruit in the oven last night since fresh fruit has been aggravating my digestion. I cooked up mangoes, peaches and cherries in the oven for 1.5 hours. Ate a pretty decent bowl of it after dinner, around 8pm. It kept me up all night. Couldn't fall asleep.

Do you think my body just wasn't ready or used to that amount of fiber that late in the day? I usually have only an orange after dinner. Wondering if trying it for breakfast or lunch would work out better since digestion is usually stronger during daylight hours. Any insight is appreciated!

OP
ecstatichamster
you have to cook them a lot. Especially mangoes and peaches. They are not ripe when they are picked and frozen. Sometimes I cook for 2 - 3 hours. Then they are fine.

Hgreen56

Is stewing the same like cooking?

i know ray advice is to cook apples and pears but i cant find any info what the best way to do it.

is cooking/stewing for 10 minutes is good enough like in this video?

Recoen

I like to make single portion baked fruit crisps. Fruit, lemon juice, sugar, butter, unbleached/unenriched flour, brown sugar, and salt. You can add cinnamon, vanilla, oats, etc if you tolerate them. Vanilla ice cream goes great with them!

tara

Is stewing the same like cooking?
I think so. Put pieces in a pot, cover with water, simmer till soft, with sugar to taste if wanted/needed.
Or baking them till soft, or sauteing would probably also be good, if that suits you better - less diluted with water.

Cooked fruit is very nice, particularly something like apple, blackberry & apple, Rhubarb or cherry crumble :):

I always find cooked fruit just sits better with my digestion.

Inaut

Cherry crumble...!!!!!!!!!!!! I thought it started and ended at apple

do you know how long cooked fruit can be stored?

Cherry crumble...!!!!!!!!!!!! I thought it started and ended at apple

Well in a sense you are making a form of jam by cooking fruit, you add pectin to set it. I presume the jam you buy commercially has been produced weeks and months ago, it is the sugar which 'preserves' the fruit content, agree?

Yeah, here in the UK I can get cherry crumble made with butter commercially, yum :):, consumed in moderation you understand lol :smug:

Hgreen56

Well in a sense you are making a form of jam by cooking fruit, you add pectin to set it. I presume the jam you buy commercially has been produced weeks and months ago, it is the sugar which 'preserves' the fruit content, agree?
oh i always thought the expiration date is so long because the commercially jam is wecked.
Never know that pectin something has to do with it.

OP
ecstatichamster
We buy jam without pectin. Pectin encourages bacterial growth in the digestive tract. Avoid.

VitoScaletta

I tried cooked frozen fruit in the oven last night since fresh fruit has been aggravating my digestion. I cooked up mangoes, peaches and cherries in the oven for 1.5 hours. Ate a pretty decent bowl of it after dinner, around 8pm. It kept me up all night. Couldn't fall asleep.

Do you think my body just wasn't ready or used to that amount of fiber that late in the day? I usually have only an orange after dinner. Wondering if trying it for breakfast or lunch would work out better since digestion is usually stronger during daylight hours. Any insight is appreciated!
Should've probably ate it with a bit of Gelatin and coconut oil

I could never before get enough ripe fruit, and this way I'm eating a lot more fruit and sugar.

Until someone suggested cooking fruit. So now I make fruit compote from peaches, mangos, tangerines, and other stone fruits. I also use blueberries as I don't think they have a PUFA seed in them.

Now, every few days, I cook a bunch of frozen fruit in a roasting pan, with lots of sugar. I refrigerate it and eat it with yogurt or by itself.

Thank you for the amazing tip.
I love cooked fruit eaten chilled! I am gonna make some right now the morning.

Attachments

• 5AB82707-BB00-4A14-A192-DEFFA8802856.jpeg
    5AB82707-BB00-4A14-A192-DEFFA8802856.jpeg
    513.8 KB · Views: 39
  • F0EC70FF-F5B8-499B-8C40-3FBC0FFA14BE.jpeg
    F0EC70FF-F5B8-499B-8C40-3FBC0FFA14BE.jpeg
    427.1 KB · Views: 35
  • 0931EEBE-5D40-47D9-8D24-8CE20AFF7E34.jpeg
    0931EEBE-5D40-47D9-8D24-8CE20AFF7E34.jpeg
    361.2 KB · Views: 37
  • 0F83BA90-84EC-4805-AE7B-1F940CFE6AA0.jpeg
    0F83BA90-84EC-4805-AE7B-1F940CFE6AA0.jpeg
    355.3 KB · Views: 34
  • 7BF3A2D1-D157-4CF6-A34D-72D9C004A438.jpeg
    7BF3A2D1-D157-4CF6-A34D-72D9C004A438.jpeg
    325.8 KB · Views: 35
  • F9DFC4D2-CDC5-453A-8715-6F45910AB825.jpeg
    F9DFC4D2-CDC5-453A-8715-6F45910AB825.jpeg
    534.3 KB · Views: 32
  • E652472D-1C78-49B8-B877-E3C392109550.jpeg
    E652472D-1C78-49B8-B877-E3C392109550.jpeg
    338.5 KB · Views: 37

Mathgirl

I make my own jam-I just add some gelatin that has "bloomed" in some water to thicken. My favorite is strawberries with a splash of balsamic vinegar. I always add a pinch or 2 of salt while cooking. And of course some sugar. (protein+carb)

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals