Toxic Free Coffee Makers/Machines?

J

James IV

It's lower acid, which is nice - but a pain to do well at home on a regular basis.
Yeah. I quit drinking coffee, but before I was buying mine because I'm lazy. Before that I would just make a huge jug of it for the whole week.

Jsaute21

Anybody here think that the benefits of coffee outweigh the crap bleach filters and plastic machines? Asking for a friend lol.

TripleOG

I've really come to like stovetop "cowboy coffee."

I don't wait for the water to heat up before adding grounds though. Throw both in the pot and slowly bring to a boil. I do't see why this wouldn't extract similarly to the multi-step drip process Peat and Roddy describe.

TreasureVibe

What is the best way of making toxin free coffee?

I've really come to like stovetop "cowboy coffee."

I don't wait for the water to heat up before adding grounds though. Throw both in the pot and slowly bring to a boil. I do't see why this wouldn't extract similarly to the multi-step drip process Peat and Roddy describe.
This will retain all the toxic PUFA in the coffee..

Frankdee20

I use a ceramic pour over base that sits on the mug.

Experienced

I have espresso machine Saeco Incanto and should I be worried about anything? For example heavy metals. Or any other toxic stuff?

Vajra

The best is with food. So having a meal with all macros and ending with an espresso. The coffee needs to have sugar in it as well - to taste.
This makes sense. Is a quart of milk enough, or is something like solid food needed?

AlaskaJono

The Absolute easiest and cheap and least toxic way is to use a Large Canning jar and steep the coffee grounds with water 30-40 seconds off the boil (Water temp needs be 200F+/- 5F = No Higher!) in there for 1-4 minutes then pour through a stainless strainer to your cup or thermos. Depends on the strength you like and how course/fine the grind is. For our current daily we use a stainless steel Nissan (Double walled -Vaccuum) French Press. I have had it over 20 years and works fine. The ceramic filter cones mentioned are also great. I also have stainless mocha pots, and a commercial espresso maker in storage. That one is an Expobar Officina (the Office). We will get it out soon. Great machine for the price I paid, slightly used about 20 years ago. I roast my own coffee and have done so since 2005, and this I consider more important than any of the machines. Cheers, and let us know which method(s) you choose.

Waldoj

For moka pots, which is better aluminum or stainless steel? I've been using aluminum for years before realizing it is probably harmful, I was going to switch to stainless steel but read that it can leach nickel. Ray Peat says that nickel is more toxic than mercury. So now I'm not sure stainless steel is better or less harmful.

Dave Clark

For moka pots, which is better aluminum or stainless steel? I've been using aluminum for years before realizing it is probably harmful, I was going to switch to stainless steel but read that it can leach nickel. Ray Peat says that nickel is more toxic than mercury. So now I'm not sure stainless steel is better or less harmful.
Aluminum is not good. I used to use the Bialetti aluminum pots, but switched to the SS pots. Using the magnet theory, the Bialetti SS pots will allow the magnet to stick, indicating less alloys in the steel, so less nickel. Of course, if someone makes a Pyrex pot, that would be the better choice of any, but I have never found any moka pots made of any type of glass.
The other thing to do is, as soon as your espresso is done in the pot, transfer it to a heat proof glass {pyrex,etc.} or ceramic. Don't allow the coffee to 'sit' there in the moka pot, giving it more time to possibly absorb any metals. That is what I do, it may not be 100%, but it is sure healthier, I believe than using aluminum.

Last edited:

Waldoj

@Dave Clark
I decided to chuck the aluminum and get a stainless steel one. I not only used the aluminum pot, I also never drank the full 6 cups and would let the unfinished coffee sit in the pot on the stove or put in the fridge for 2-3 days as I finished it... Looks like I will start supplementing silica! Thanks for the links.

ddjd

what do you guys think about the bialetti?

1700822038069.png

Dave Clark

what do you guys think about the bialetti?

View attachment 58530
I think it is fine, if you are concerned about the metals. I put a magnet on mine and it stuck, so less nickel alloys.
The only negative, if any, is that the silicone {?} gasket wears out after a while and you have to replace them. If you don't the seal won't be tight and it won't brew, due to air leak. But, it takes quite a few brews for it to wear out. If you don't use it everyday, it might last for years.