More Info On Taurine And Constipation, Please

Lolinaa

Has anybody else tried msm with taurine? I’ve been taking it in this combo lately and like it so far

Hi, what benefits or improvement have you noticed so far?

I am also a huge fan of taurine, and sometimes I take lysine with it too and I feel absolutely amazing.

My main goal is to be able to be back to good health for good. Like to not need supplements at all. I have the impression my life wont be great without it.

Lolinaa

reporting in...
first dose 400-500mg taurine w/ 300mg NAC at morning felt okay during the day. second dose same mg at night, made me sleepy... woke earlier than usual during the night, still had somewhat good sleep.
next morning same dose...constantly tired - no taurine or NAC dose at night, next morning still feeling sleepy af. at this point bowel movements definitely slowed down.
kind of torn about what to do next, i think i will try 600mg NAC only at night and see how it goes. maybe will integrate lower doses of taurine only at night dose. but it's hard to dose...since i only have 1g scoops.
I totally know that the view here on NAC is a bit iffy, but I tried a lot of things on here and it seems the only thing that somewhat helps. also found that study in relation to pufa or high fat... although i don't think i eat high fat - N-acetylcysteine Protects Mice from High Fat Diet-induced Metabolic Disorders. - PubMed - NCBI

Is nac niacinamide or another supplement?

Lolinaa

@RePeatRePeat: did you use thyroid at the same time you were taking the taurine? I take cynoplus at night and Cynomel during the day.
If I understand well, taurine helps regulate everything
Just very few to keep my metabolism in good shape.

ShotTrue

Hi, what benefits or improvement have you noticed so far?

I am also a huge fan of taurine, and sometimes I take lysine with it too and I feel absolutely amazing.

My main goal is to be able to be back to good health for good. Like to not need supplements at all. I have the impression my life wont be great without it.
Taurine definitely helped me in the gym. Probably a reason I love monster or even better redbull

D

danishispsychic

I have MTHFR mutations and Taurine does not work for me. Do you have this mutation ?

sunraiser

Taurine pushes magnesium into the cell, right? It sounds like a form of magnesium depletion, or at least stopping mag being available for digestion the way your body needs it to be.

See if the issue is less apparent with a little mag supplementation.

Lolinaa

Taurine definitely helped me in the gym. Probably a reason I love monster or even better redbull
I used to drink Red Bull as well but I prefer the supplement. I try to find a pure form and I think its healthier.
Yes for work performance there is definitely a huge improvement. I am calm and focus.

OP
RePeatRePeat

RePeatRePeat

I have MTHFR mutations and Taurine does not work for me. Do you have this mutation ?
What an interesting thought, @danish! I do not know if I have this mutation as I have never had any genetic testing done. I hope that I do not have it as I fully intend to try taurine again once I have become a sugar burner. There is a good chance that by going low fat/high sugar, as I am now doing, as stored PUFAs are eliminated I will be healthier all round. Maybe I won't even feel the need for taurine then, who knows. But, your idea is something I will keep in mind if it seems taurine never ever works for me.

MTHRFCKR mutation
@ShotTrue :rolling

Taurine pushes magnesium into the cell, right? It sounds like a form of magnesium depletion, or at least stopping mag being available for digestion the way your body needs it to be.

See if the issue is less apparent with a little mag supplementation.

@sunraiser So, taurine DOES actually push magnesium into the cells? Thank you. That helps it make more sense. When I took magnesium with the taurine I could take a lot more than I ever could before probably because my magnesium starved cells needed it so much. But once they were saturated I would get the runs when supplementing even just a little. Does that seem right? Making better use of Mg may be another part of why taurine can chill us out or help us sleep. Although it didn't work that way for me for long.

What I think happened was, after a short honeymoon phase at introduction, the taurine pushed my metabolism beyond what I was able to supply fuel for since even though I ate a lot, not much in the way of sugar was burned and sugar (table sugar and fruit) was a big part of my daily calories. Without enough fuel, everything started falling apart. That's what my current hypothesis is, anyway. I will probably change it as I get healthier and think straighter. My mind fluctuates between almost sharp and absent entirely.

Right now my entire focus is on eating low fat/high sugar in the hopes of overcoming my inability to burn sugar for fuel. In doing so I hope to deplete ( pretty much) my PUFA stores, lose the excess 40 pounds I have been carrying for a number of years, heal my gut, start sleeping long and deep, regain my energy, and possibly become an astronaut. Well, just kidding about that last one. But, all these goals are lofty for sure but they're my goals and I'm gonna keep 'em!

D

danishispsychic

actually it is this mutation that has Taurine issues -
CBS Mutations

CBS (cystathionine beta synthase) catalyzes the first step of the transsulfuration pathway, from homocysteine to cystathionine. CBS defects are actually an upregulation of the CBS enzyme. This means the enzyme works too fast. In these patients, it's common to see low levels of cystathionine and homocysteine since there is a rapid conversion to taurine. This leads to high levels of taurine and ammonia. The CBS upregulation has been clinically observed to result in sulfur intolerance in some patients. It has also been observed that BH4 can also become depleted with a CBS upregulation. BH4 helps regulate neurotransmitters and mood. Other mutations, such as MTHFR A1298C, Chronic bacterial infections, and aluminum can also lead to low BH4 levels. Lack of BH4 can lead to mast cell degranulation and possibly mast cell activation disorder (MCAD).

sunraiser

So, taurine DOES actually push magnesium into the cells? Thank you. That helps it make more sense. When I took magnesium with the taurine I could take a lot more than I ever could before probably because my magnesium starved cells needed it so much. But once they were saturated I would get the runs when supplementing even just a little. Does that seem right? Making better use of Mg may be another part of why taurine can chill us out or help us sleep. Although it didn't work that way for me for long.

I've had a similar experience with taurine - taking b6 (8mg)restored magnesium bowel tolerance. I know b6 is roped into magnesium metabolism when very deficient, but I don't fully understand why b6 had such a bowel tolerance impact for me.

OP
RePeatRePeat

RePeatRePeat

I've had a similar experience with taurine - taking b6 (8mg)restored magnesium bowel tolerance. I know b6 is roped into magnesium metabolism when very deficient, but I don't fully understand why b6 had such a bowel tolerance impact for me.

Wow, that is great info, @sunraiser! I will add a little B6 to my morning B dosing and see how things go.

Soren

Forum Supporter
Your symptoms of fatigue are similar to what happened to me when I over supplemented. I was taking everything, pansterone, vitamin k, d a, aspirin, red light, thyroid, methylene blue, b vitamins. Wasn't long before I got massive Aches pains and fatigue as well as weight gain. My feet hurt so bad I could barely walk without pain. A sign of estrogen being too low.

I took too many thinks that lower estrogen and cortisol and I overdid it.

Best thing I did was stop using everything for 3 months. Then I slowly worked a few things back in at a much lower dose.

My supplements regime right now is far less prescriptive and less same thing every day. It varies depending on specific circumstances and I take a lot less and I feel 10x healthier then I did then.

I also take 500mg of taurine 3-4 times a week and have no constipation issues.

DawN

Has anybody else tried msm with taurine? I’ve been taking it in this combo lately and like it so far
yes sir, im taking about 700mg msm with 1 g taurine dissolved in about 1,5l milk and drink it over the course of a morning

Mossy

yes sir, im taking about 700mg msm with 1 g taurine dissolved in about 1,5l milk and drink it over the course of a morning
I would be curious to know if you, or @Inaut, have trouble with msm by itself. I do, and would like to know if the taurine could remedy this. Don’t worry about responding if this situation does not apply to you.

BigChad

Your symptoms of fatigue are similar to what happened to me when I over supplemented. I was taking everything, pansterone, vitamin k, d a, aspirin, red light, thyroid, methylene blue, b vitamins. Wasn't long before I got massive Aches pains and fatigue as well as weight gain. My feet hurt so bad I could barely walk without pain. A sign of estrogen being too low.

I took too many thinks that lower estrogen and cortisol and I overdid it.

Best thing I did was stop using everything for 3 months. Then I slowly worked a few things back in at a much lower dose.

My supplements regime right now is far less prescriptive and less same thing every day. It varies depending on specific circumstances and I take a lot less and I feel 10x healthier then I did then.

I also take 500mg of taurine 3-4 times a week and have no constipation issues.

what supplements do you use now? are you still using vitamin K, d, a. in what doses?

actually it is this mutation that has Taurine issues -
CBS Mutations

CBS (cystathionine beta synthase) catalyzes the first step of the transsulfuration pathway, from homocysteine to cystathionine. CBS defects are actually an upregulation of the CBS enzyme. This means the enzyme works too fast. In these patients, it's common to see low levels of cystathionine and homocysteine since there is a rapid conversion to taurine. This leads to high levels of taurine and ammonia. The CBS upregulation has been clinically observed to result in sulfur intolerance in some patients. It has also been observed that BH4 can also become depleted with a CBS upregulation. BH4 helps regulate neurotransmitters and mood. Other mutations, such as MTHFR A1298C, Chronic bacterial infections, and aluminum can also lead to low BH4 levels. Lack of BH4 can lead to mast cell degranulation and possibly mast cell activation disorder (MCAD).

so people who have sulfur intolerance are likely to have high levels of histamine, trouble digesting histamine and maybe histamine intolerance as well? mast cell activation disorder is similar to histamine and sulfur intolerance right? If you have MCAD, you are likely to have the sulfur and histamine intolerance alongside it?
Do you know how MCAD and sulfur intolerance can be resolved? Would supplementing vitamins/minerals help? copper, zinc, manganese, iron, selenium, molybdenum, chromium, iodine, b vitamins, etc. It seems like every vitamin and mineral is involved with the DAO enzyme which breaks down histamine so if your levels of these vitamins/minerals are off it would result in MCAD or histamine intolerance?

What an interesting thought, @danish! I do not know if I have this mutation as I have never had any genetic testing done. I hope that I do not have it as I fully intend to try taurine again once I have become a sugar burner. There is a good chance that by going low fat/high sugar, as I am now doing, as stored PUFAs are eliminated I will be healthier all round. Maybe I won't even feel the need for taurine then, who knows. But, your idea is something I will keep in mind if it seems taurine never ever works for me.

@ShotTrue :rolling

@sunraiser So, taurine DOES actually push magnesium into the cells? Thank you. That helps it make more sense. When I took magnesium with the taurine I could take a lot more than I ever could before probably because my magnesium starved cells needed it so much. But once they were saturated I would get the runs when supplementing even just a little. Does that seem right? Making better use of Mg may be another part of why taurine can chill us out or help us sleep. Although it didn't work that way for me for long.

What I think happened was, after a short honeymoon phase at introduction, the taurine pushed my metabolism beyond what I was able to supply fuel for since even though I ate a lot, not much in the way of sugar was burned and sugar (table sugar and fruit) was a big part of my daily calories. Without enough fuel, everything started falling apart. That's what my current hypothesis is, anyway. I will probably change it as I get healthier and think straighter. My mind fluctuates between almost sharp and absent entirely.

Right now my entire focus is on eating low fat/high sugar in the hopes of overcoming my inability to burn sugar for fuel. In doing so I hope to deplete ( pretty much) my PUFA stores, lose the excess 40 pounds I have been carrying for a number of years, heal my gut, start sleeping long and deep, regain my energy, and possibly become an astronaut. Well, just kidding about that last one. But, all these goals are lofty for sure but they're my goals and I'm gonna keep 'em!

what did you find out then, are you able to handle any supplements fine. are you still using taurine or other supplements

Soren

Forum Supporter
what supplements do you use now? are you still using vitamin K, d, a. in what doses?

I still use Vitamin K, D, and A on occasion but not on a daily basis and only when I think they may be lacking in my diet or I am under a period of heightened stress. The doses vary greatly because they vary depending on my needs. For example if it's the summer and i'm outside a lot I very rarely will feel the need to use vitamin D. I try to get as much as I can from dietary sources and only supplement when necessary. I think copying someone else's dosing regime is a recipe for disaster because there are so many variables for every person.

You have to find what works for you and your bodies needs. Getting from natural food sources is nearly always better because there are other naturally occurring nutrients in food that work in tandem. Oysters for example are high in copper but they are also very high in Zinc and it is important to have a higher Zinc to Copper ratio.

OP
RePeatRePeat

RePeatRePeat

what did you find out then, are you able to handle any supplements fine. are you still using taurine or other supplements

I am still eating low fat/high sugar, although now I should say low fat/high carb because in the last few weeks I have added rice, oat groats, and white/sweet potatoes. I don't do perfectly well on starches but so far not too bad with the potatoes and oats. For some reason rice (white and brown) makes my reflux come back worse than the other two. My blood sugar improved fairly quickly with low fat/high sugar and the addition of b vitamins. I haven't checked it in a while and plan to. It just got to me after a while all the obsessive finger pricks at different times to see what was going on. Necessary but stopped once things settled down. Hopefully, when I start checking again it will still be good. I can handle all my usual supplements fine as usual but don't take taurine. I will probably give it a try in the future but am doing fairly well so not feeling any interest in it. I recently added cortinon and increased progesterone and these are helping me raise my body temperature. I will see how long that lasts. I have not found a way yet to consistently maintain a normal body temperature so it will be exciting if this is it.