A Curriculum For Self-education In Biological Nutrition

Amazoniac

- Oral Progesterone is Not Inactivated by Stomach Acids, Pancreatic Enzymes or Liver Detoxification (618/1474)

"Textbooks are useful for introducing students to a new subject, and they are an interesting literary genre, allowing us to see how the individual author handles a certain area of knowledge. But anyone who has seriously studied a subject knows that textbooks aren't intended to resolve scientific questions. Different authors sometimes take different positions on the issues. By reading many texts on a given subject, we can see that the people who write textbooks are usually far behind the decisive scientific work in most of the areas covered by their book. If they are researchers themselves, their particular area will usually be described in an up-to-date, though personally filtered, manner. Increasingly, publishers are influencing the content of textbooks, for the purpose of maximizing sales. (Richard Feynman's entertaining discussion of textbooks should be read by every teacher.) It is important to critically examine original scientific publications, but textbooks are generally so far removed from the original work that it would be a waste of time to criticize their subjectivity and inaccuracy page by page. That isn't necessary, as long as people realize that they shouldn't be treated as anything but secondary (or tertiary) sources."​

Amazoniac

- Bioscientific terminology: words from Latin and Greek stems | Internet Archive

upload_2020-1-27_21-28-47.png

@Jorge, check it out, you'll like it.
@Trabis, same for you in case of reappearing.

Last edited:

Amazoniac

- The Vitamins: Fundamental Aspects in Nutrition and Health - Gerald F. Combs and James P. McClung

Just like with the acid-base balance book, it has the best introductory chapters on fat-soluble vitamins that I've read so far. Unfortunately they haven't catch up with the recent advances in the field and have included ex-nutrients such as poison/"vitamin" A and venom/cleavasteroid D. Garrett was already here, let's us broaden our minds!

The ubiquitous (and therefore seemingly indiscriminate) practice of prefixing any given word with "bio" brings to mind the practice of prefixing words with "psuedo".

If the RP forum has a Hall of Fame, this thread should be inducted.
He could've opted for 'Termimology in Biological Sciences' but cases of aspreytis were unheard back then. The specification is valuble, otherwise it's too comprehensive: Raj could consider himself a lover, but why not also a logist?

Last edited:

Amazoniac

I'm located in Florida and starting FNP school this summer. My goal in going to NP school was to be able to practice as a primary care physician bridging the gap between modern medical care and the ideas of bioenergetics. I'd be interested in being involved with the ideas you presented here and I'd also be interested in any book recommendations you have for pharmacology, diagnostics, assessment etc. from the modern medical perspective. From what I understand the NP education is relatively poor, so I will be studying on the side on my own time, so I dont come out into practice not having a clue (which is what I see with many of the NP's I worked with, especially the ones who havent worked as nurses prior).
A great channel run by an Egyptian guy:
- Medicosis Perfectionalis

Amazoniac

Amazoniac who first brought to my attention the Classical verbiage and spelling of commonly used terms; terms we throw around as freely as youngins dancing gayly ‘round the maypole in the town square.

The more one becomes antiquated with physiology textbooks from 100 years ago, they begin to see how erroneous is our current spelling.

You can imagine my utter horror and embarrassment upon discovering I’ve been spelling Milch and Proteid incorrectly since I first mastered the #2 pencil in kindergarten. One can only atone and use the proper spelling henceforth, posthaste. But how many souls have I led misled with “Milk this” and “Milk that” doth I wonder often.

2020: “Milk is a good source of Protein, but makes you fart.“
Supposed to be: “Milch may be considered a goodly source of proteid, but mustn’t be partook by whomever possess enfeebled constitution or by the infirm. ”

Someday soon I shall quill up a strongly-worded letter to my elementary school instructors and chastise them for leading myself and countless children astray.

In all seriousness, the best physiology textbooks are the oldest ones because this is before they were bastardized and corrupted by Big Pharma. Prior to whence such dogma became codified they would conduct all manner of arcane spells and rituals to gain eldritch knowledge. One textbook mentioned starving canines (read: cute puppies) and measuring the quantity of feces they produced with no food in their stomach. Their discovery was modest and would be discovered 100 years later when people began to do juice fasting - that the animal continues to produce solid feces even in the absence of solid food. We now know that most of the stool is not food, but somatid germs, their decaying microscopic carcassss and intestinal epithelial cells.
Not far from the truth. Familiarizing with the origins gives an idea of what's being conserved only out of habit or what got distorted along the way.
- The Etymology of Chemical Names: Tradition and Convenience vs. Rationality in Chemical Nomenclature - Alexander Senning

Some people are not bothered by terms such as 25(OH)D in everyday use, but choose serotonin over 5-HT, which doesn't make sense in either for lacking coherence, would require something like Trp, 5(OH)Trp, 5(OH)Tpa, or the standarization..
- Biogene Amine – Wikipedia
- Red Bull – Wikipedia

There's no good justification to avoid simpler termimology (Raj's recent interview is an example of a confusion created by this). It must be to sound scientific or to pay off the time spent figuring out which is which. However, the intentional twisting of terms should make people question their vocapulary and the valibity of the information that they're encountering.

Sitaruîm

Thanks for the reply, and the links, CI. Tara's thread was enlightening, and Keys is obviously well known.

I meant to remark that his earlier starvation study is different from the dietary lipid work but didn't fit it in; my error.

Lustig certainly has his own agenda, not so sure about Taubes. I'll withdraw my comment on Keys being a crappy scientist, if he was a brilliant scientist then I'll acknowledge it and say that that his early work is worth studying. But the enormous damage he perpetrated with his flawed later work, and his relentless promotion of it, has had devastating effects on millions of people.

Sorry if this became a rant, just pissed 'cause so many people I know are sick because of Ancel Keys, the brilliant scientist.

I say that the damage was not done by Keys, but by his sponsors were. These sponsors would have surely found another candidate to promote the same hypothesis and "validate" it.

Last edited:

Amazoniac