A Direct Relationship Between PUFA And Allergies

somuch4food

I found an interesting guy when looking up canola oil. He claims that the rise in allergies and asthma is directly correlated with vegetable oil consumption. He mentions that the body stores PUFA like a mad man because it used to be a rare encounter in human diet. He also mentions how PUFA are inflammatory and that a small quantity can be helpful, but too much will create problems. Interesting article overall.

http://davidgillespie.org/want-kids-with-allergies-and-asthma-feed-them-margarine/

That article really resonated with me and I am now convinced that vegetable oils (apart from coconut and olive oil) should be completely avoided. I was still getting some from time to time from some processed foods, but I will be eliminating most of those too.

Cirion

Yeah PUFA are really just no good, imo even from "natural" sources. The natural sources wouldn't be so bad necessarily if not for the fact that most of us already have way too many PUFA stored internally. Every time I have recently experimented with bringing small amounts of natural pufas back in my diet it hasn't ended well for me. So I'm done with all PUFA.

OP
S

somuch4food

I was on the fence with the whole high oleic and whatnot. I think olive oil is ok due to its unprocessed nature that leaves vitamin E and polyphenols intact and actually help counteract PUFAs.

When looking up the chart about increased consumption of PUFA in the general population, it was stated that it was about 10g a day in the beginning of the 21st century. I think I will set that as my new target, I think it's realistic and easily achievable when avoiding processed foods.

Even a high fat breakfast I ate yesterday, consisting of 100g of cheese, 100g of pork sausages and 3 tablespoons of heavy cream with berries still only contained 8 grams of PUFA for nearly 80 grams of fat.

My motivation also comes from this quote since I'm pregnant and my first kid is dealing with eczema and an egg allergy:
Even when the kids themselves are not chomping on margarine or vegetable oils, if their mother did during the last four weeks of pregnancy, they have at least a 50% greater chance of having eczema, hay fever or allergies for life.

I was on the fence with the whole high oleic and whatnot. I think olive oil is ok due to its unprocessed nature that leaves vitamin E and polyphenols intact and actually help counteract PUFAs.

When looking up the chart about increased consumption of PUFA in the general population, it was stated that it was about 10g a day in the beginning of the 21st century. I think I will set that as my new target, I think it's realistic and easily achievable when avoiding processed foods.

Even a high fat breakfast I ate yesterday, consisting of 100g of cheese, 100g of pork sausages and 3 tablespoons of heavy cream with berries still only contained 8 grams of PUFA for nearly 80 grams of fat.

My motivation also comes from this quote since I'm pregnant and my first kid is dealing with eczema and an egg allergy:
That’s my case unfortunately - i was born in 1989 and my mom was probably drowning in pufas. I have severe allergy, which thankfully got better with peating.

GorillaHead

As i started consuming way more saturated fat i started to notice allergies to increase and this may like up with whats going on because i read in one study that the body starts saturating tissues with pufa when saturated fat is available.