Thiamine: One Of The Main Limiting Factors For Proper Carbohydrate Metabolism

Cirion

Could this be why OJ is so addicting for me? Rich in sugar and thiamine also. I often find myself drinking straight from the OJ jug when I need a quick boost.

I also find that cheese & jello made with OJ, gelatin, honey to be almost rocket fuel. I'll wake up at midnight and have that for a snack and go from being groggy to so energetic that sometimes it can be hard to go back to bed lol. Didn't RP say one should consider a quart of OJ a day for general stress resistance? :rightagain2

TeslaFan

Can someone please explain why Thiamine HCL in doses of up to 100mg feel VERY different to a simple B-Complex with the same amount? Subjectively, Thiamine on its own is insanely good for mental clarity and energy!

Isolated from other Bs, it's potassium opposing effect will be highlighted. Thiamine taken alone for several weeks, without counterbalancing with enough K, can lead to hypokalemia.
It's great for the brain, especially when properly balanced.

Last edited:

RayPeatFan777

Lol fruit and dairy arent good sources?
Except it lists liver, eggs, etc as good sources???
Oranges have ~5 times the b1 content of eggs on a calorie for calorie basis, and milk matches liver calorie for calorie.. they need to research things before they just say nonsense.

RayPeatFan777

Look it up. I have no horses in this race as I dont eat fruit, but milk and oranges are a much better source of b1 than liver and or eggs.
Yeah I did look it up on cronometer at the time, just thought it was weird how Peat said the same. Only thing I can think is, Peat is wrong or its more bio available in those foods, a bit like the folate in milk.

Lokzo

Forum Supporter
I used high doses of thiamine for I think something like nine months. For the most part it seemed to benefit but my nails began to show a flattening and signs of iron deficiency, so I stopped taking it.

Oh SHI*

Man, I think this must've worsened my Iron status too!

I was using Thiamine in amounts up to 200mg a week, and also Benfotiamine, which I think now may have contributed to my low iron.

There's no research on this is there?

Tarmander

Oh SHI*

Man, I think this must've worsened my Iron status too!

I was using Thiamine in amounts up to 200mg a week, and also Benfotiamine, which I think now may have contributed to my low iron.

There's no research on this is there?

I think there is. I would google thiamine and iron and look around pubmed. Read some studies but its been years

Bart1

Interesting. Perhaps this is why I have been getting facial twitches so much. Where can I find this antagonistic relationship in the literature?
Also interested in this, I experience facial twitches as well and am using B1 in around 200-300 mg per day.

I thought there were no risks in taking thiamin isolated, guess I just have to stick to only a b-complex (although I would prefer higher dosages from thiamin and niacinamide)

Lokzo

Forum Supporter
I think there is. I would google thiamine and iron and look around pubmed. Read some studies but its been years

Yeah, I really need to back off the Thiamine, despite how much I love how it makes me feel mentally.

My Iron levels are still struggling to come back up, despite eating a lot of Liver and red meat.

Screen Shot 2019-12-12 at 11.07.18 am.png

Light

@Amazoniac I come across your posts every so often and always find them very informative and usefull.
This is one of those posts.
I figured I should take a moment to say Thank You :)

cjm

Nathan Hatch wrote about this on the forum a couple years ago. I don't have any references to back up the claim, but he says B1 binds iron, and has an unrelated but interesting observation about why supplementing it caused body odor:

"I love B1 but it made me smell bad. Came
out through my sweat even permanently ruined some sheets and pillows. I theorize the smell comes from binding to iron, as many highly offensive odors contain bound iron, and one of the benefits of B1 supplementation is a serious iron binding capacity.

After discovering cilantro also binds iron and trying another course of B1 I tried both together and within 12 hours, despite having a couple hundred mgs of B1 in me, my skin stopped smelling at all. I continue to supplement B1 in moderate doses (100 mg a day) without having any unpleasant odor. I haven't even had to take cilantro every day. Two days apart works too. (I take about a tablespoon of dried cilantro in milk or orange juice once a day. Higher doses work if you're actively chelating iron, though do be careful to get enough sources of copper and other minerals since I suspect it chelates those but at less aggressive rates)"

Cilantro Neutralizes Vitamin B1 (thiamine) Caused Body Odor