Restless Sleep When Consuming Baking Soda?

Hey all...I have noticed a strange phenomenon when I take a 5g dose of baking soda before bed. This will create a night of terrible sleep. I will lay in bed half awake.

I have searched it out a bit and haven't found anything....

Was seeing if anybody here knows why this could be?

tara

Hey all...I have noticed a strange phenomenon when I take a 5g dose of baking soda before bed. This will create a night of terrible sleep. I will lay in bed half awake.
Can't remember what else you are doing, but excessive baking soda in some contexts (eg high calcium supplementation) can contribute to excessive alkalinity.
Personally, I would be cautious about supplementing so much baking soda unless I was checking for that.

Tarmander

Baking soda always makes me feel great but I experience the same thing. Wicked insomnia with consumption. I'm curious why it would do this as well. I have avoided it for this reason.

My hunch is that it messes with electrolyte levels in some way.

OP
Elchapchapchapo
Hmm...I'm going to experiment with other forms of co2(thats may reason I use baking soda) and supplement regular sodium and see if it changes things. I've seen Ray Peat recommend salt before sleep...so I'm thinking it is just the form of sodium causing the issue.

XPlus

Recently I gave up on fresh orange juice.
The commercial, from concentrate, brand I use have a high acid content. So when I add a little bit of Sodium bicarbonate I get a lot of Co2. I drink it quickly.
It doesn't require a lot of OJ for the reaction and I don't worry much about Sodium bicarbonate messing up something since it fully reacts with acid.
I might do 100ml at a time - usually, for a total of 3 times at one setting.
You can control how much baking soda you're taking in since you can easily see bits that didn't react -if any - at the bottom of the glass.
I can tell when I can't stomach anymore and the results are immediate.

Last edited:
OP
Elchapchapchapo
Baking soda always makes me feel great but I experience the same thing. Wicked insomnia with consumption. I'm curious why it would do this as well. I have avoided it for this reason.

My hunch is that it messes with electrolyte levels in some way.

Hey just want to share this...mittir had commented in one of my other threads that this is probably due to having stomach issues. And I think he mentioned ray had something about this too. You'd havr to check the thread to be sure - its one about lab results.

As a solution he recommended cooked mushrooms in evening or carrot salad.

I have also learned that honey is good for stomach as well as gelatin and aloe vera

Xisca

...I have noticed a strange phenomenon when I take a 5g dose of baking soda before bed. This will create a night of terrible sleep. I will lay in bed half awake.

What! I already had the same symtoms I think, but did not relate it to baking soda!
And I always take it with lemon juice, and not before going to bed.
But it definitely was by the time I was taking it more often.

The symtom I had this summer was that I was not feeling insomniac, I was very calm, but really as you say "laying in bed half awake". Just laying and waiting calmly for time to pass. It was a sort of sleep but half sleep,
....more like a sort of stupefaction.

And I take nothing.

tara

Mittir

Hey just want to share this...mittir had commented in one of my other threads that this is probably due to having stomach issues. And I think he mentioned ray had something about this too. You'd havr to check the thread to be sure - its one about lab results.

As a solution he recommended cooked mushrooms in evening or carrot salad.

I have also learned that honey is good for stomach as well as gelatin and aloe vera

I believe i mentioned that baking soda increased urination for me which caused
electrolyte imbalance. RP was asked about baking soda lowering stomach acid
and he mentioned that acidity decreases momentarily and body brings it to
normal level quickly.

ETA: Ray has mentioned excess salt causing gut irritation.

Diana Geiger

I have searched it out a bit and haven't found anything....

Was seeing if anybody here knows why this could be?
I have the same thing happen even if I eat brownies to late in the evening. It is carbon dioxide. I can't drink carbonated beverages either. Anything to do with baking soda, baking powder, carbonation will keep me from going to sleep for 4-6 hours.